Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard bindings - the good and the bad

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Went boarding today, and actually broke my Division 23 bindings. Not the strap or something like that, but totally shattered the baseplate. I just went off a kicker, landed wrong, I guess dug the tip of my board into the snow and the binding snapped almost in half. Luckily I was able to take it bck to the store where I bought it, and they replaced the bindings at no charge. But what I am saying here is: do not buy Division 23 bindings.
Now for the good art. My friend was riding some Salomon SPX 5 bindings. With the toe-strap thing that Salomon's have he was able to strap in standing up in literally seconds. He also finds the bindings comfortable and responsive. Furtermore, these bindings basically have small risers built into them (very thick baseplate with really high toe/heel ramps). He has size 13 boots (also Salomon, which he has had for 5 years), and is able to ride a board with a 25.3 waist with absolutely no toe or heel drag! This is with fairly small angles and a duck stance.
One last thing - his board is an Atomic Alibi, which has been riding great for him except for one thing - today his steel edge cracked through. He rides his board pretty hard (rails, tree runs), but it is very new: somewhat dissapointing for a high-end, highly praised board. The crack is hardly noticeable now, but seems like the kind of thing that could develop into a problem over time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ponder, re. edges: I've heard a lot about this season espesh' Nitro boards. A mates edge just crumbled and flaked apart Shocked the only thing that's coming to mind so far is the rocks of early season putting too many 'temper stress points' in the steel and then very low air temps and localised heating from riding the rails is causing the stressed points to fracture. + he's being stonewalled by the Nitro rep in resort.

And with temps down to -30 in some places, anyone who's on grp/resin/GRTP bindings should be careful. At those temps things get brittle as they’re at (or outside) their design tolerances. Even some alloys can be a bit fragile as the thermometer drops. I wouldn't diss one make for one incident unless there's been a slew of these breakages.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was snowboarding at 3 degrees celcius Sad
When I took the bindings into the store to get them replaced, both the employees who saw it (including the guy who does repairs on boards) said they've never seen a binding break that way (baseplate shattering). Though I suppose it's a good thing - there must have been alot of force, and if the binding didn't break my leg or board probably would have.
As for the Atomic Alibi, my guess is that this particular steel edge probably had a small defect (theres no sign of a significant impact around the edge crack). He can probably send it back to Atomic and they'll send him a new one (board is this season's model).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy