Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

University Project - Camera Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

A few months ago I posted a survey on these forums regarding a university product design project in which I was designing a pair of sunglasses with integrated digital camera. Thanks to the feedback I got from this and other forums I decided to go with a goggle based product rather than sunglasses and concentrate primarily on the snowsports industry.

I am a bit further on in the project and would be interested to hear your thoughts on the direction the project has taken. As things stand, the product is a snowsports goggle capable of taking digital photos and videos whilst the user is in motion or when stationary.

I am currently conducting a short survey into user needs and would be very grateful if you could take the time to participate. It only has 12 multiple choice questions and should only take a few minutes. To do the survey please go to www.advancedsurvey.com and enter 22000 in the ‘Take a Survey’ box.

At the moment there are two potential concepts.

The first comprises of a standard pair of goggles with a camera built into the centre. The lens would cause no or very little obstruction to the user’s view. A wire would run from the rear of the goggles down the users back and into a control unit which would house the memory card, batteries, screen and processor. The user would not need to access the control unit except to view pictures and videos or change settings, presumably at the beginning and end of the day. The control unit would be similar to a normal digital camera.

The option second comprises of a self contained unit where all electronics are contained on the goggles between the actual unit and the strap. This would mean additional bulk on the goggles and no video/photo review screen but would mean there was no need for a cable to be run down the users back.

Another issue that I would be interested in is to where you think the button to take a picture or start/stop a video should be located.

I would be delighted to hear any thoughts on the product, good or bad and would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to take part in the short survey detailed above.

Many Thanks,
Ed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry for pidling on your dreams but have you done any reseach prior to this. You can already buy this product and there are a whole host of different LANC controlers inc. bluetooth.

Why the new reistration, why not use your prior name and why, if you're a student, are you using a commercial marketing survey company? Something stinks here Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recall no such survey.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As one of the less cynical snowHeads, I'd like to say Welcome to snowHeads, ardgower! snowHead

Masque - the survey site does offer free basic surveys! A very studenty approach.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson, Sorry Ian and appologies to ardgower, if I'm wrong, but there are too many inconsistencies in the story.
I remember the first thread (did it get pulled?), so why the new registration or lack of input in the meanwhile.
I think SHs is being used/abused for commercial purposes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll also welcome you ardgower

As you're a student - no doubt you are internet savvy - so you will know that discussion groups are wary of commercial enterprises that try to muscle in on the goodwill that they have built up. Sometimes its worth spending a bit of time getting to know the place and people if you want more than just a basic answer to the usual skiing questions about resorts/snow forecasts/equipment reviews!

p.s. i wouldn't choose 2nd one - hate the idea of bulky goggles but 1st one has issues - would depend on the unit and where its designed to go. see other threads on this site about carrying cameras on the slope - battery life in the cold, and where to keep the unit so it doesn't cause more injury if you fall.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, there are actually a fair number of what appear to be 're-registrations' where people have simply forgotten their old login details. I can't remember the original although I do remember a similar type of proposal for what one might call a 'rucksack' - not sure if the rucksack has developed into image grabbing goggles...

I've had long professional experience with students - I know one when I see one! wink And as one that has been 'tangoed' I know ardgower's e-mail address...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ahem slightly off-topic but has University association - I've just been reading our local learned society lecture programme. One of the lectures is entitled "The Chemistry of Sexual Attraction". Admission is free but places are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ian Hopkinson, In which case, my deepest appologies and welcome to ardgower. You need to look at some professional camera/video supply companies. The ideas you're exploring already exist and I'm aware of two big goggle makers who already have products in prototype testing.
It's image quality that's been holding it back but new transistor densities are making the products viable and reasonably priced.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey guys,

Firstly, let me apologise. You are correct. I have not posted on this forum before. I had conducted research by posting a pervious survey on a number of forums. When I decided I needed to do more research I searched for a few extra forums and just copied the post in. For those of you have been students I'm sure you can appreciate the lack of time students have when working in their final year.

As for using a commercial company to do the research, again this is just a time saver. It’s a quick and easy way to make a online survey and saves me having to design a website and write background scripts to input the information into a database.

Masque - you said that you could already but this product. I have not come across this anywhere. Do you know where you saw it? I would be very interested.

Mountain Mad - I agree with your comments, the 1st option to me offers better usability and the tests I have conducted show that as the batteries are never removed from the users pocket while in use that battery life is very reasonable. Much better than having to take a camera out and use it just to find out it is too cold for the batteries. The first option offers less protection against the elements but if it is what the market wants then that’s something I will have to address.

I hope this explains a little further what I'm trying to do and why I'm a new poster. Thank you in advance for any comments you may have on this product and if possible please take the time to complete the survey detailed above.

Thanks,
Ed
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ardgower, I was pretty sure I hadn't seen anything here before but you've cleared that up. I've completed an on-line survey for you. May I point out there are 15 questions not 12. Nit picking I know but lack of attention to detail might affect your project's outcome. wink I hope you find the time to contribute to snowHeads in other posts. Cheers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ardgower, Welcome to snowheads. In the course of your development work perhaps you would like to research the possibillty of fitting a forward facing scanning laser to your goggles to flatten the ruts and moguls in front of the skier thereby reducing camera shake. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This product would have a limited but still substantial market. However, you would want to make it a wireless device if possible. I would go for option number two if it was done well. Oakley has managed to fit an mp3 player into a pair of sunglasses, and many cell-phones have integrated cameras. Surely this could be done without much additional bulk. In my mind the way to take pictures should be sort of like a watch that you could wear over your glove, but instead of a watch being attached to the strap it would be a button, that, when pressed, would take a picture (if the "watch" is on your right hand, you would hit the button with your left hand). If you were going to market this product, you'd also want to make sure the goggles themselves were of high quality - good shape, good optical qualities (aim for a standard of something like Oakley a-frames with polarised lenses).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ponder, how about the camera in the glove itself?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy