Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Ricklovesthepowder, my comment was in relation to the earlier posts of how good it looked. I hope the conditions will be awesome as i'll be in Morzine at the same time as you! However, I wouldn't have said it was typical to have snow right down to Morzine (it's pretty low at 1,000m).

As for Avoriaz, it's nice to see snow so early, but as others have said it doesn't mean an awful lot. Just taken a look at the webcam archive and there was no snow in Avoriaz other than very tops of the mountains this time last year, however there was in late Oct suggesting it had all melted. However it did turn proper white on the 18th Nov and then stayed white until well into late April even in the resort... snow finally all gone by June Smile

We last went in Jan 08 - Avoriaz Photos as you'll see conditions were amazing and even more so last year apparently!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski-finder wrote:
However, I wouldn't have said it was typical to have snow right down to Morzine (it's pretty low at 1,000m).

Not at this time of year, but during the main season I would say it's normal to be able to ski into Morzine from Les Gets, perhaps less so from Super Morzine. Only when it's been warm and/or wet have I know it be impossible to ski all the way down Pleney.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice pics, ive only ever been there march to april and never really had a problem to be honest. Just with going at the end of jan im not sure whether the big dumps will have been by then, like you say it varies year on year. i just hope that there is some stuff down on the ground!!! could you tell me how long does it take to drive from Petit Chatel to pre la joux and how much is the parking there and is there quite a lot??? cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyph, that's good news Smile I'm looking forward to skiing the Les Gets/Morzine sector this year.

Ricklovesthepowder, i don't know I'm afraid someone should know though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, Approximate distances are:-1.2k from petit chair lift to centre of Chatel and then a further 6.2k to pre la joux car park. Loads of parking space there, never had a problem January, March and April don't know what it's like high season though and of course being France and not England it's freeeee. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PDSB11, great stuff, thanks for the info, what do you think the conditions will be like at that time of the year, will there be snow down it chatel itself? cheers for the info, rick
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, By the end of January the new lift at the top of Linga should be open (Echo Alpin) so driving to Linga and parking there is an option. About 3km from Petit Chatel I'd say. This is equally quick to get over to Avoriaz as from Pre La Joux. As mentioned lots of parking and free but Pre La Joux can fill up and leave a walk (or bus) to the lifts. Based on 20 seasons skiing in Chatel I would say you would be desperately unlucky not to have snow down to village in late Jan
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for the info thereDJL, we have to park over there as 2 of the 4 are not very experinced (and one is a border) so the lifts above chatel have a large amout of drags which will result in very tired legs and not much skiing if you get me!!! glad to hear about the snow level, just love waking up in the morning and there being snow outside the door rathher than grassy pastures!!! can you recomend any cheap but nice places to eat in the evenings in chatel?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
les chessery but its not cheap. They will eveb take you home in their minibus, but there are lots of other great places to eat. The avalanche bar is a fab night out( no food though)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers, the minibus home sounds like a good idea!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not much happening outside at the moment, most of the lovely power is now in the Dranse, the precipitiaon of the last few days fell as rain under 2000m and sometimes 2300m. As Ski-Finder says - "it's only November".

I've spent a few minutes (actually closer to an hour, I'm not a quick writer) this morning summarizing the latest Morzine Mairie Bulletin on this blog http://alpschaletforsale.com/ lots of info here about new lifts/piste work and for those rainy days the new swimming pool they have planned in Morzine.

pic by endlessride
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that isnt the latest pic is it??? surely thats in summer, i hope!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
endlessride, ok it's not white, but great photo all the same Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endlessride, be good to see a new lift to the top of Chamossiere, preferably from the foot of the run-off slope after the Tetes chairlift, so you don't have to do that annoying uphill walk. In other words:
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyph, what do you mean walk? wink

What is that black like? It has always looked a bit much for me. I love the Arbis but it is a challenge at times.
snow conditions
Lou, thanks about the photo, heavily processed - but it's one of my favourites too - and yes it's a summer photo! Just grim/grey and damp here at the moment.

The black is often groomed, when it has been it's more of a red than a black, go for it!

andyph, hmm, my reaction was one of "oh no!" one of my favourite spots trashed 3 times quicker than before. The wrong reaction I know, it's not "my" spot.
latest report
endlessride wrote:
andyph, hmm, my reaction was one of "oh no!" one of my favourite spots trashed 3 times quicker than before. The wrong reaction I know, it's not "my" spot.

I know what you mean, it's almost a rite of passage to go on a clunky old lift to access the best pistes (IMO) in the area. But I wouldn't mind being able to get up and down a bit quicker. The number of times I've got trouble cos I thought I had time to get down Arbis and make a rendezvous but misjudged the uplift time... Embarassed Very Happy

Lou, I find the black is more of a training piste than enjoyment per se. As is so often the case, the top 50 yds gets a bit scraped and there's only one narrow bit that gets bumped up a bit and makes it more tricky than necessary, otherwise it's quite doable. You can spin off the beaten track to the left and (especially) right to make it slightly more varied, but there are more interesting pistes elsewhere. Don't feel you're missing out. wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
andyph, and for me it's the number of times I've misjudged the Arbis downhill time Embarassed Laughing
snow report
I Received an email today from a Morgins Chalet operator.

For those that know the area this may be of interest?

Lifts

At last a solution seems to have been found for the re-development of the lift system! The great & the good have decided the following:

1. The old Pointe de l'Au lift has been restored to function for another 3 years to take skiers from Champoussin to Les Crosets; to return from Les Crosets a new tow is to be installed on the Crosets side to take skiers back to the bottom of Champoussin via la Pierre à Cornieule.

2. A new Global Plan is due to be signed this autumn. Under the new plan the development of the north side of the Pointe de l'Au around the Tovassiere area will be abandoned and the old Pointe de l'Au lifts will be replaced in 2011.

3. The old T-bars around the Bochasses will be replaced by a new chair-lift ready for the 2010/2011 winter season and there will be a new piste on the Foilleuse for 2010/2011.
snow conditions
great stuff, would love to ski super chatel, champoussin, morgin togon more, but i just hate bloody tbars!!! hopefully this will solve the issue!
snow report
what a difference a week makes. check out the avoriaz webcam, god i cant believe it has all gone!!! surely in previous years the snows have been in the town by this stage??? they have a ski festival on the 12th dec, thats only 26 days away, ouch!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, nope not really, watch the time lapse webcam for Nov and you'll see how quick it changes. Last year it all happened on the 18th Nov, I reckon this year 23rd Nov Wink

Note, not a psychic just blindly optimistic
snow conditions
ski-finder, Ricklovesthepowder, My moneys on the 2nd/3rd December something to do with the moon!
snow conditions
snowandtrek, heard you were a luney Madeye-Smiley

I used to be psychic. But I lost it due to unforeseen circumstances Toofy Grin

I will get my coat.
snow report
as long as there is a decent amount for the 26th jan that will suit me perfect, infact, thats a bit selfish, i hope the is dumps over the next few days for you guys but it doesnt look likely!!! i just cant wait to get out there, looking forward to giving abondance a shot aswell. Very Happy
snow conditions
Was in Morzine middle part of December last year and the snow was in abundance, the ski ing was fantastic. Back there again this December and wondering if any body got any ideas on snow forcast for this year. Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
snowjoy, yep - rain, then snow.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56634&start=80
snow report
snowandtrek, I agree, the 2nd December is my birthday and it usually snows Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have faith, snowjoy, here's todays midday GFS run for Les Gets:

So long as the dark grey line in the top set (Ensemble-Mittel) stays below 0 you're laughing. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
andyph, is Les Get not nearer 46,7 rather than 46,6 which looks a little rosier still IMO
ski holidays
ski-finder, indeed; 46°09′38″N 6°40′15″E

Looking good for Snowmonkey's birthday Very Happy
ski holidays
i know that this may take time but please can someone briefly explain what the hell that graph represents, sorry for being a little rude, i just dont understand it, cheers
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, have a look at this really useful thread - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

takes a bit of effort, but worth persisting with it.
snow report
pam w, cheers pam so many lines its confusing!!! thanks
latest report
Quote:

Looking good for Snowmonkey's birthday

Good news indeed. In the meantime I might have to get my bike back out - it is beautiful here at the moment...
latest report
Latest run Shocked

Snowmonkey, you stay being a good snowHead and hopefully we'll be laughing Laughing

p.s. usual obvious caveats apply to such a ridiculous long range and rather unlikely forecast Toofy Grin
snow conditions
in simple terms can someone please just sum up how to use these graphs. ive looked at that thread that pam provided and im still confused. just tell me what each colour represents and what we need for the lovely white stuff, cheers
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, if you can't follow the basic info in that thread, then to be honest, nothing else will help!

The 2nd reply by Rob and the one by carled seem pretty clear to me!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, top wigglies are temp forecasts (left measurements 0oC), bottom ones are precipitation (right measurements mm). Top wiggles 0 or below + Bottom wigglies big = chance of snow good. Closer the lines align the more the different sources agree.

Thick red line is average temp for this time of year, thick grey line is the middle of all the values. Most snow forecasts I think use the green line but I might be wrong. Four graphs or runs per day, normally 6 hours behind.

Hope that helps, if not sorry!
latest report
snowjoy, and welcome to snowHeads btw Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy