Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheat Sheets for skins

Poster: A snowHead
These are mentioned in this months fall line as being a god send for folding up skins whilst on the mountain.

It appears to be plastic gauze you stick your skins too, what do skinners reckon, do you use them/it?

It appears they are $20 in the US, apparently colltext sell them in the UK.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/cheat-sheets

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BD skins come with them
useful but not sure i agree that they are a godsend. they do preserve the glue on skins much better than sticking the skins to themselves
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decent for storage, not much use on a mountain. Sticking together is much quicker and not really any slower to re-apply?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most people I've talked to swear by them - although you can make your own ghetto version from some relatively flexible plastic garden mesh.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suggest you don't leave them on over summer. My BD cheat sheets have part disintegrated all over the glue side of one of my pairs.

The best thing I've seen are skin socks that offpisteskiing has. They are made of something thin and soft and are 1/3 the length of the skins. You put your hand down inside them, grab one end of the skin thru the sock, pull it back inside and then wrap the rest of round the two outsides. Ideal for those windy cols - aren't they always?

I've never managed to find any and for some reason offpisteskiing has stopped using them. He didn't explain why. Could be something to do with getting glue on the sock after leaving them right next to a heater overnight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
altis, ha ha ..

BC likes them and they seems a good idea for dealing with skins on the mountain... you can always tidy them up later when you get home
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just found out my $100 Backcountry Black Diamond Ascension skins I ordered in the sale come with cheat sheets Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DaveC wrote:
Sticking together is much quicker and not really any slower to re-apply?

Don't do this with the newer Col-Tex, you will never get them apart again.

I've been using cheat sheets for years and would never use anything else. Skins that get stuck together again and again need re-gluing soo often they become 6 times heavier and 10 times messier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been using the BD cheatsheets to good effect, no problems Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The best thing I've seen are skin socks that offpisteskiing has. They are made of something thin and soft and are 1/3 the length of the skins. You put your hand down inside them, grab one end of the skin thru the sock, pull it back inside and then wrap the rest of round the two outsides. Ideal for those windy cols - aren't they always?

Yup - these come with Montanna skins.
Find them really useful, especially in the wind.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:
DaveC wrote:
Sticking together is much quicker and not really any slower to re-apply?

Don't do this with the newer Col-Tex, you will never get them apart again.

I've been using cheat sheets for years and would never use anything else. Skins that get stuck together again and again need re-gluing soo often they become 6 times heavier and 10 times messier.

Fair enough. I got a few disdainful looks using mine with more experienced BC types, but in fairness that could of been the Duke + bright pink Praxis combo... but yeah, I did tend to just fold over and be done with it. Don't even have a touring setup at the mo tho and my experience of it is fairly negligible.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My BD ones came with them, and when I didn't use them once, for some reason, I found it much harder without them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis, Still use them, but it depends on the day... if I know I'm just going up once and down once I often don't bother, as its easier to dry skins on the 'sheet' as opposed to in the sock so it saves having to faff in the evening.. If I know I've got a few conversions to do or if its going to be windy I tend to use them - also depends on which way the winds blowing, and whether there are berries on the trees etc etc ...! Happy

The last time I didn't use anything was with a brand new pair of coll-tex (?) skins, stuck them to themselves after skinning and then ripped half the glue off the next time I went out, so for me the moral is....

always use protection...

In saying that, all the guys I know that are seriously into their rando-racing don't bother, but then with skinny skins there's not so much resistance to separating the skins again, + I'm sure they get all technical with glues etc.

On that note, I did see something about re-glueing skins every 25 days which seems a bit extreme. I've never once re-glued a pair of skins in my life - had a set of BD Ascensions that lasted about 5 years sans re-glueing (and many days out over that time). Never had a problem, and sold the kit on in good faith a few years back..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
re-glueing skins every 25 days which seems a bit extreme. I've never once re-glued a pair of skins in my life - had a set of BD Ascensions that lasted about 5 years sans re-glueing (and many days out over that time). Never had a problem, and sold the kit on in good faith a few years back..

Lucky you Very Happy Clearly I am using the wrong skins - ha ha rolling eyes

After about 25 days my (Montanna) skins started to lose their stick - especially when it was very cold. Could have been a few more days that this... but not many more. Got the glue redone at a ski shop in Chamonix (15 euros - bargain) and they have been good as new since then. So will be interested to see how long they last this time...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can someone tell me what these are used for? Have had a poke at how they're fitted, but not entirely sure why you'd want them?

For walking about on flat snow? Surely you lose all the benefit of gliding along on each step with these? Or are they for something else?
ski holidays
Monium, they're for going uphill. This lets you access places that have no lifts.
ski holidays
Rather than start a new thread thought I'd bump up an 8 year old thread

Anyone using the "Love Glove" ?

http://youtube.com/v/NoQdd1kv1_s
ski holidays
@DB, my OH used Love GLoves for a season a couple of years ago. They wrecked her glue (BD Glidelite). Given that I’d been using BD GLidelite with BD’s mesh cheat-sheets without issue for several years by that point , I’m happy concluding that it was the love gloves causing the problem. GLoves now binned.

However, we’ve both moved to Contour skins (well mine are Black Crows branded) and they’re great - different glue, sticks to itself happily and thus no need for cheat-sheets or love gloves.
snow report
@Inboard,

Many thanks. I have Contour skins on my wider ski touring setup. I'll stick with the Kohla supplied cheat sheets for the other setup.
ski holidays
@DB, Looks great! I'd be interested to hear reports from users.
snow conditions
Chamcham wrote:
@DB, Looks great! I'd be interested to hear reports from users.

I have 2 pairs of Montana skins which have ferocious glue if you get them stuck together. they came with that system (their own not love glove, which sounds like it may have other uses!!) and I have to say it has been fantastic. Once you get the system dialled it's very quick and easy on & off especially if windy because you can stick/unstick the skins one glove length at a time without dangling the whole length in the air. I have just bought some Colltex Whizz skins which stick face to face and unpeel easily so I'll see if that's an easier system.
latest report
I lost my cheat sheets last year and when I tried to replace them the shop recommended some "chausettes" made by coltex (think) which are basically the same as those love gloves. I like them - less faffy than using cheat sheets as the video shows. Haven't notice them stripping the glue from my coltex skins. At least yet - only used them for three days touring so far.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy