Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier average weight

Poster: A snowHead
While going up to the glacier at La Plagne we stopped for a while so they could load a body bag. As this (nothing) was happening i read the makers placard on the gondala "Max 6 persons - 570Kg"

So 570/6 = 95Kg

so with a 5kg allowance for boots, 5kg for skis and 5kg for clothes (to make the maths easy!!) that leaves 80Kg (12st8lb) for each skier.

Therefore it is not inconcievable and highly probable that these things run overloaded when carrying 6 persons...

as a person of 13st that bothers me somewhat! Skullie

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 10-02-05 9:57; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given the antiquity of those particular poma eggs, that's hardly reassuring!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hobbiteater, sounds like you need to cut down on the furry-footed ones, or at least grill rather than fry them. snowHead
Me, I'm a bog-standard 80kg!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hobbiteater, as I am a fatboy (90kg), the same thought had occurred to me, but with my structural engineers hat on, I can assure you that the safety factors in this are huge and the actual load capacity would be likely to be at least 3 times the stated safe working load.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-02-05 10:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
but i guess they are imagining there will be some ladies and children on them?

But I know what you mean, the chances of having 6 men on at once are quite high Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, knowing that gondola getting 6 big guys into one egg would be a bit of a tight squeeze. As Ray says there's SWL and Tested Load. Don't think you've got much to worry about. I'm a few kilos over the average and the only time it bothers me on a skiing holiday is trying to stand up in deep powder. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hobbiteater, i wonder if the pomas in LP are of the same vintage as those in Serre Chevalier - they only fit 4 at a squeeze - and as a 100kg 6"4 specimen, I felt very unsure about getting into one - but then again probably a lot less unsure than my other three companions in the bubble!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

as a person of 13st that bothers me somewhat!

At 19st 4lb and not the lardiest in our group it worries me a bit Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm 100kg but wife is 60 so we are ok Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right that's it, single gondola for Frosty.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do not wish to join this discussion. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow! I'm so glad to hear that us snowheads have a core of tubbies! snowHead I too am MAX weight and it's not something a lady is going to talk about but an 80kg bodybag would have me falling out of the seams and off down the mountain into the beginner's class. Sad

Great to see that weight does not stop us doing this fantastic sport - in fact if anything I think a little weight aids skiing as turns can be made with just a subtle shift in weight.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro,

I agree with your engineers hats comments. I consulted my engineers hat and he says "I'm sure there is a huge safety factor, but safety factors are there to cover uncertainty we can't calculate. And after all if you have a jib crane with a SWL of 75Kg you don't put 76Kg on it! Its odd that the requirements for no. individuals and max weight don't seem to tie up..."

But maybe thats why the doors are so narrow...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, Looks like 27 march could see the first big test for La Rosiere's new lifts as they will temporarily downgraded to THREE man chairs. I would advise others to avoid the resort at this time. For those that do brave it, I would also suggest avoiding the runs UNDER the chairlifts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alexandra, the amount of time we spend seated at keyboards gazing at screens it's no wonder snowHeads have a high proportion of lard @rses (from which term I specifically exclude PG who is something of a beanpole)
Hobbiteater - any lifting equipment I've ever dealt with is tested at 10% overload.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian,
Quote:

any lifting equipment I've ever dealt with is tested at 10% overload

Very re-assuring................. but all in our gondola still die Toofy Grin
snow report
kuwait_ian,
Tested yes, but not used.

Items are tested when new, not a thousand years old like the the Poma contraption in question...
snow report
Frosty, I believe you'll be OK, they're a good height off the ground, so even allowing for a bit of cable sag you should make it.
ski holidays
May have confused the issue unintentionally. By lifting equipment I meant cranes, pulley blocks and the like - not chairlifts or gondolas. I think because these can have unpredictable loadings such as ice, wind and overweight snowHeads the safety factor is much higher than 10%. I volunteer to have the lightest female in an overcrowded LP Egg sit on my knee wink
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, you may have tested things at 10% overload, but was that the breaking point, or just the testing point?

When I was in Big Sky, I noticed that the tram (I think it was the tram, but may have been the gondola) had been re-valued - so they had kept the same upper weight limit, but reduced the maximum number of passengers.
snow report
OK, I'm scared now. Someone please reassure me that if a cable were to snap - that some back-up system is there? (This is also to reassure my brother who has major issues with heights and will have to take the main gondola in Mayrhofen every day soon which apparently is huge and spans the valley).

PS: Kuwait Ian - i'll sit on your knee if you have a parachute!
ski holidays
hayley t, I wouldn't worry the truth about cables is that the Swiss get them new, use then for 5 years then sell them to the Austrians, who also use them for 5 years then sell them to the French,, who use them for 5 years, then sell them to Italians or Spanish who us them till they break.
snow report
hayley t,

Sorry didn't mean to scare anyone.

Of course these things are extreamly safe and as mentioned before are designed with huge safety factors and regularly maintained and inspected daily.

PS I have a parachute (emergency quick opening type) and my knee is also available... wink

PPS The chute adds another stone to my weight Shocked
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, 10% overload test on cranes etc is just a test in order to get the insurance certificate. The breaking point is way above that. We have on occasion been forced to apply something like a 30% overload and the crane survives quite happily but of course the insurance (if anyone were to tell them) is invalidated. Any man-carrying equipment is subject to much tighter control and inspection and as long as there are no low flying US Marines in Mayrhofen you've got nothing to worry about hayley
snow report
Thanks David@traxvax, I can handle one careful owner!
snow conditions
Seems to me there are to many Fat B'strds on the slopes then Very Happy

They need to shed some lard & get down to a normal 65-80Kg bodyframe.
snow report
Seems to me there are to many Fat B'strds on the slopes then Very Happy

They need to shed some lard & get down to a normal 65-80Kg bodyframe.
snow report
stanton,

6 "normal" skiers at your normal 80Kg are on the max limit! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good job I'm about 73kg then wink
snow report
Quote:

When I was in Big Sky, I noticed that the tram (I think it was the tram, but may have been the gondola) had been re-valued - so they had kept the same upper weight limit, but reduced the maximum number of passengers.

This is how America is tackling the growing problem of obesity.

I guess at 65Kg I'm a subnormal skier?
snow report
Acacia wrote:
I guess at 65Kg I'm a subnormal skier?

Acacia, no they need us to balance out the lardy-arsed end of the distribution curve! Very Happy

johnnyrotten (5'11" and 65kgs)
snow report
Quote:

johnnyrotten (5'11" and 65kgs)

Blimey, I thought I was fairly light!
snow conditions
As an engineer myself I haven't dealt much with steel cables but I think they normally carry a safety factor of more than 3 to 7 from the Bristish standard (and would be not much different from the European codes). This is to say they are only allow to carry the maximum of no more than 1/3 of the breaking load in any design. Those involving human can attract a higher safety margin of 5 to 7 and that is mandatory.

Don't take my word for it just google "steel rope & safety factor" to find out yourselves.

The load stamped on the cable car is the static weight of the average weight for the number of people it carries. On top of this there will be snow load, wind load and dynamic load which itself could attract a factor of 1.5 to 2 over the static weight.

Thus I have never had a second thought getting into a chairlift, gondola or cable car manufactured to the European standard and expecting a safety factor of at least 5 over the human weight it has to carry.

I rate the risk of having someting happened in sitting inside a LP gondola is less than sitting on kuwait_ian's knee Very Happy

From memory the gondola of going up LP's glacier is pretty old and small. I didn't see more than 2 skiers using any of the bench seats. Therefore for practical consideration the "decent size" skiers will be pretty safe, especially sitting close to the door blocking the entries of other skiers!
ski holidays
For me, the real risk with gondolas is being discussed in another thread.
Something about wind problems Shocked
ski holidays
Caspar, that's related to saikee's comments about sitting on ian's knee...
latest report
Wind load external to the gondola is resisted by the steel cable.

Sustained internal wind load inside a gondola can cause a human lung to explode. The risk may be mitigated by sitting next to the door with a sliding windows. Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

Caspar, that's related to saikee's comments about sitting on ian's knee

I think I would produce more than just wind in that situation Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Seems to me there are to many Fat B'strds on the slopes then

My body is a temple Very Happy
Quote:

They need to shed some lard & get down to a normal 65-80Kg bodyframe
Does this mean I must also loose 9 inches to get down to an average 5ft 8 in.
Reminds me of a story about Joel Garner the 6ft 10 West Indian Fat, sorry FAST bowler, who was once asked by a smiling woman "if everything was in proportion"
He allegedley answered, " hey lady, if it was I'd be twelve foot three"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy