Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grindelwald to Murren (and Back)

Poster: A snowHead
I will be staying in Grindelwald next week but hope to spend one day ski-ing on Murren-Schiltorn. What is the best/quickest/most ski-ing way to get from Grindelwald to Murren (and back)?

Thanks Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
huxley, welcome to snowHeads, there is a certain Wengen obessed snowHead who is probably the best person to answer your question. Apart from obligatory visits to Geneva airport, I avoid Switzerland. I'm frightened they're going to announce a tax on breathing their air that will be retrospectively applied to all foreigners.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
huxley, Take the train up to Kleine, then either:
Take the chair up to the top of the Lauberhorn, then ski down to the race course, then take the chair up, and ski down into Wengen beside the station.
Or
Take the other train up to Eigerschislegg (no idea how to spell it) Ski down Oh God, take the chair (Wixi?) up to the Start Bar, from there, go down the race course, etc.
Take the train down to Lauterbrunnen, and then get the train up to Murren.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never tried the bus but I expect there must be a link of some kind so that First, Wengen and Murren can all be accessed by skiers. I did it by driving on the road while staying in Interlaken. Off my head I think it is about 20 to 30 minutes by car. There is a magic feeling skiing from the top of Shiltorn even if you are not James Bond.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most direct route is all the way by rail.

From Grindelwald rail station get the train to Interlaken.

Get off before Interlaken at a place called Zweilutshinen( spelling may be incorrect)

Get on the Lauterbrunnen train from there. At Lauterbrunnen get the funicular up to Winteregg and you can ski from there.

On the way back you can ski down from Winteregg to Lauterbrunnen.

Trains run about every half an hour and links are timely.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
huxley, the cable car to the Schilthorn is closed due to a problem with the cable. The current timetable is for it to reopen on 12 March.
Whilst there is of course plenty of other on and off piste skiing in Murren, it is a fairly long schlep from Grindelwald when one of the major attractions of the resort is unavailable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clive Lovatt,

A very good reminder. I have seen posts saying it is not operational at the moment.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
huxley, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The short answer is...don't bother. As Clive has mentioned, the only skiing on the schilthorn at the moment requires a rather long steep walk uphill!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can also get a cablecar up to Murren from the valley floor can't you. I seem to remember it's almost vertical
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes...a post bus from Lauterbrunnen will take you to Stechelberg where two cable cars will take you up to Murren.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is still a good days skiing to be had in Murren, even without the Schilthorn link.

There is a family day offer on Saturdays in Grindelwald. Any adult buying a lift ticket can take all his kids skiing for free( proof required that kids are yours) . Consequently Grindelwald is busy on Saturdays.

I certainly found Murren worthwhile last Saturday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can now jump on a helicopter and ski the higher area of Murren, at a cost of 55CHF per person !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, Actually if you have a regionl guest card (from your hotel) its only 45 chf per person, where else can you go heli skiing for only 20 quid ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to do that for definite! So cheap! Will be my first heliskiing experience as well....should I book it now do you think?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the all the varied suggestions - much appreciated - and I think I might just do that heli-skiing Little Angel
ski holidays
Inga wrote:
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to do that for definite! So cheap! Will be my first heliskiing experience as well....should I book it now do you think?

You can't pre-book unfortunatly, it's also a bit weather dependeent, it wasn't running today due to high winds and clouds.
ski holidays
Guys & girls....

Its not heliskiing, its purely a temporally airlift ( as per http://www.wengen-muerren.ch/news/eng.html ) which saves you over an hour hiking up the Kanonenrohr,i did that in the summer and believe me...it aint nice !

The runs are pisted up there and the heli drops you next to the Kandahar chairlift and if the weather is good you will get some great views(better than being in Wengen ,lol)
ski holidays
thanks for that info. and the useful link Chris, that was my question which you answered ( ie are the runs pisted ). Cheers! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Whether it's real heliskiing or not it's still rather exciting to get on a helicopter to go skiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the links Chris
snow report
Inga, very true. A couple of years ago we tried the ultimate thrill and booked a 25minute helicopter flight with Air Glacier ( http://www.airglaciers.ch/lauterbrunnen/index.htm ). They picked us up in Murren and we flew around Wengen then around the Eiger,Monch & Jungfrau mountains and landed on a glacier and took photos etc. He then flew around the Schilthorn before dropping us back to Murren.

It was fantastic and worth every penny. (i can email you video or still pics)
snow report
Do you think they would do that and take you on a guided off-piste ski Chris? That would be great, but I would only do it with a trained guide.
ski holidays
That i don't know but there is so much on piste skiing around the Jungfrau Region to explore first.
ski holidays
We did the helicopter lift in Murren last week...thanks to David Orf's tip...and it was really a lot of fun. The ride is unfortunately over in a blink. There are only two trails and two lifts but no crowds. Its kind of heli-skiing light. The 45 chf was worth it for the pictures. Try to sit in the front seat if you are the photographer.
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHead Kathy - and thanks for that and I suppose its the experience more than anything else ( as well as some excellent shots - any possibility of you posting these here? ) - I hope to do that heli-trip in two weeks when I am there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy