Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wind problems??????

Poster: A snowHead
Notice that some high winds appear to be kicking off from this Sunday. As I'll be arriving in Baqueira on that day I was panicking at the predicted 35 mph until I saw the figures for some of the French and Italian resorts!!!! 70 mph.......What sort of wind speed would normally close lifts? I'm talking the 4 person variety. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah. I thought you meant a different sort of wind. I am trying to remember what the highest wind speeds have been when I have been on a chairlift, before it was closed. About 25-30 mph cross-wind, I'd say. Maybe higher on a cable car - if it's been along the length of the cable.
But stick around, someone like PG will have more definitive figures.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mikehall58 wrote:
What sort of wind speed would normally close lifts? I'm talking the 4 person variety.

What is the "4 person wind variety"? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My attempt at humour in the topic heading looks to have failed!!! wink Serious question though as some places look to be in for a fair old blast. Hoepfully, for all concerned it's a system that'll pass in 24 hours.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Your highness the Ambassador, I think mikehall58 may be referring a chairlift big enough to accommodate 4 backsides, not sure how to measure the speed when breaking wind though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick Zotov, thanks for your confidence in my alleged expertise on wind problems in France. It is a fact that the French diet includes considerably more green vegetables than in the UK, and although we don't go much for the staple British dish of curry, wind velocity remains undiminished. At least we have less pollution. That said, with the increasing number of British visitors, we await the introduction of the first enclosed chairlift at Les Arcs next season, with the inspiring and original name of "Arcabulles" (Arcabubbles), with trepidation.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 9-02-05 16:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Worst winds I can remember on chair lifts was in the mid-80s in Tignes. Despite the high winds there was a massive dump in progress - and glorious powder. Problem was that the resort kept shutting the lifts. Going up one, I could see why. It is the only time I have feared the lift cable being pulled clear of the pulleys, whilst I was sitting on a chair. In the end just one lift was running in the resort - the "baby" one at Val Claret. I guess they kept that going so that they could say the resort did not close.
Just thought you might have practical knowledge, being a resident, as to when the local resorts call it a day due to wind speed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick Zotov wrote:
Despite the high winds there was a massive dump in progress.

Now that really is too much information.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, Garlic and beans do feature quite strongly in the French diet, as does some fairly pungent cheese. Not just undiminished velocity then Laughing

CP
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ask a stupid question!!!!! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T-bars seem to operate in anything up to a hurricane. Ask any diehard skier of the Scottish mountains! On the old White Lady chairlift on Cairngorm (which was hopeless at handling cross-winds because it went up the mountain sideways) they had ground anchors and extra cables to stop the main cables dislodging from the pylons when a storm-force wind was expected.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Caringorm weather forecast today 9 Feb

Forecast for THURSDAY: Borken cloud with bursts of bright sunshine. A risk of a few snow showers. Winds SW 45 - 65mph. Temperature at 900m -3C.

4 lifts and the funicular open for business. Wind problems? What Wind problems?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This derailment 3 weeks ago was caused by strong winds and an inexperienced snowboarder. http://www.winterhighland.info/forums/file.php?2,file=5 After the third time it happended we gave up. The wind was strong, maybe 50 mph cross slope, but it wasn't exceptional.

The main problem is that snowboarders find T bars and pomas difficult to use and can easily drag the line off the idle wheels causing a lot of damage.

However while replacement of surface lifts with chirlifts makes things easier for everyone, it does make key links vulnerable to wind closure, in relatively low windspeeds.

I also happen to think that uncovered chairlifts are quite dangerous in bad weather. After all you can always escape from a surface lift if it stops. Skullie
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
saikee wrote:
Caringorm weather forecast today 9 Feb

Forecast for THURSDAY: Borken cloud with bursts of bright sunshine. A risk of a few snow showers. Winds SW 45 - 65mph. Temperature at 900m -3C.

4 lifts and the funicular open for business. Wind problems? What Wind problems?

Depends where the wind is being measured - it's not neccessarily where the lifts are.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov,

I don't think it matters much where the wind speed is measured as far as Scottish resorts are concerned.

First there aren't many chairlifts in Scotland and drag lifts are the norm. They all have to go to the top.

Secondly the wind speed is high because there is no higher mountain around to shield the skiing resorts which will not have much snow if they weren't erected at the highest places.
latest report
I'm off to St Anton tomorrow. I notice they forecast 100cm of snow between Saturdayy and Tuesday with winds of 40mph, peaking at 50mph on Sunday. Hmm, looks like windslab and avalanche danger again!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy