Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"I'm scared 90% of the time": competitive freeskier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
They're our gods, they ski for the movies, they do it for money. And they seriously scare themselves, though there must be some serious risk calculation involved. Here are the words of Wendy Fisher, a two-time world extreme champ, quoted in this USA Today article:
Quote:
"Out of my career as a freeskiing athlete, I'm scared 90% of the time. I ask myself if I am paid enough to put myself on a peak and ski something where I could die. But then there is the addiction, and that's what keeps you going."

There's no doubt that the moves being executed for ski films at present way exceed the danger of jumps done a decade or two ago.
How does the quest for death-defying stuff square with our attitudes to risk, suicide, responsibility? Do the public conspire with the film-makers and stunt skier to go too far? What's the logical destiny of high-adrenaline cliff-jumping ski movies?

Personally I'd rather not see a ski snuff movie!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 9-02-05 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

What's the logical destiny of high-adrenaline cliff-jumping ski movies?

Sadly,more deaths!!Most of us,fortunately,realise there's a limit to what you can do on ski's/board.And a limit to what you can inflict on the human body.However,what was considered impossible a few years ago,is being done in these movies today.In fact,a lot of it is now 'old hat'.Its logical to assume that the extreme nuts will be looking for the next leap.Sadly,for some,it may prove to be their last!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't seen any of these movies recently. They used to be shown a lot in resort bars but I've not seen any for 5+ years at least. Even in the ones I used to see often the guys would do a jump, land awkwardly and then the film would cut to someone else leaving you wondering whether the last one had got hurt or worst. I always found them rather tedious actually.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy