Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis for an old fat bloke ...

Poster: A snowHead
Just hit 50, been skiing for 25 years and reasonably decent red run skiier with occasional blacks. Due to being 110KG and 5ft9in I've had some very stiff Dynastar Outland 4x4's (190cm) for the last 6 years, unfortunately one of them snapped across the binding in Meribel 2 weeks ago.

The hire skis at 168cm were much easier to turn but very soft and twitchy for a big bloke. I suspect I need a fairly stiff cross-ski at about 165 and have been looking at the Atomic SX range (10 or 11) - the B5's are a bit expensive but some of the other Metrons look OK.

Need to feel safe and stable so a very firm base is important. Don't do much off piste or moguls but I suspect the length of the Dynastars has restricted me a bit. I like to be able to do big slidy turns especialy when it gets very steep but need to be able to ski all terrains, being a Brit you have to ski whats there when you go, can't chose to go only when its good.

Any advice? Particularly skis from other manufacturers? Will probably purchase in Canada at Easter but would like to have a short list of skis to test.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ClaretKid, Volkl are worth looking at as they make stiffer and snappy skis that are good for heavier skiers. Volkl 724 EXP would be a good bet. They come in a 170 and a 177. You might want to try a 177 - depends how agressively and athletically you ski.

Also see if you can demo the Fischer RX8 - see ssh's review thread. Hard to find Fischer gear in this country but you should have more luck in Canada. They've been getting rave reviews and have won awards from US ski mags so I expect they'll be in big demand in the shops (I'm hoping to demo them in Whistler in a few weeks time)

oh and a warm welcome to snowHeads! (as the usual welcoming committee seem to be off for a cup of tea at the moment....) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ClaretKid, nice one, most people seemed to have skied for 4 weeks and have become experts Very Happy

I'm a bit taller than you and a little lighter and it sounds like we have similar feelings about skis, most punter skis are too soft to be any use. I have some Völkls, 5*'s, they are good skis and you'd probably like them but they're stunningly fragile. I've had them since Nov last year and after 20 or 30 days they're delaminating on the top the the base is being destroyed. Unless Völkl reply to my letters and tell me otherwise I'm assuming they all built to the same standard personally and they may not last 6 years like your last pair (mine won't make the season Crying or Very sad )

They'll be be replaced with Stöckli or Atomic I think, both have some fairly stiff skis that we'd like. But so have Dynastar and Rossignol. Based on our current "stable" (cellar really) of skis, Atomic and Dynastar are looking the most robust to me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info. I had a look at the Dynastar Skicross 10's but there doesn't seem to be a modern version of the 4x4's.

Definately no expert but I do reckon that if you ski for 3 weeks a year you should go out at 9 and get the last chair up the hill at about 4-45! Oh and 45 mins for lunch.

Moguls were impossible with such big stiff skis so black runs in the US and Canada were a bit difficult - I would hope to end up with something a bit more managable without losing the stiffness at speed.

I had some rental skis and suffered the 'caught edge whilst going in a straight line' problem that I havent had since I bought the Dynastars. Painful. Though not as bad as the fall when the ski snapped, nor the 1.5 mile walk down the mountain to get some more!!

Thanks for the welcome.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ClaretKid, Welcome to slushnuts, I'm about 2 in. shorter and about 25K lighter. A week and a bit skier recovering from serious surgery but I've just aquired the Atomic SX10s (160) and found them to be incredibly user friendly. Very easy to skid the tails or edge over into a tight carve and very very stable in a straight line, well at least at the geriatric speeds I'm capable of at the mo. They were very forgiving of my boarder habit of dropping my inside shoulder and looking up the hill (it's a safety thing and NOT just bad technique).

Give them a try in 170

(edited 'cos I can't spill worth a poop)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-02-05 13:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
They were very forgiving of my boarder habit of dropping my inside shoulder and looking up the hill (it's a safety thing and NOT just bad technique).

oh, I've never thought of that, some trainers have been been having a go at me about that, I never connected it was a hangover from boarding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ClaretKid, welcome to snowHeads. Albeit it a skier of 9 weeks with some intensive instruction, I'm 5'10" and 98kg and tend to ski hard on reds and most blacks confidently. I recently tried the Head XRCi 800 (170s) which I found performed really well - good versatile ski, although not being a big off-piste skier (yet), they only got limited edge of piste exposure where they seemed OK.

Well worth a try out IMHO.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Never got to grips with Boarding - had been skiing for about 10 yrs before boarding really took off, and couldn't cope with the pain (knees / bum) and not being able to go straight to the top of the mountain every morning.

Very grateful that my 3 kids have stuck to skis!! Couldn't cope with boarders in the family.
Madeye-Smiley
The SX10's look like they might do it for me but will check the Fischers and Heads as well. Seems I'm looking in broadly the right area though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claretkid, Dynastar Legends are the latest interation of 4x4s. I still use my 5 yr old 4x4s regularly, still one of the best all mountain skis IMO.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Yeah, I just can't get a comfortable feeling coming to a stop with my torso facing down the fall line. I want to know who's going to drive a ski onto the back of my head.
I've been hit in the past by people following me at speed and not anticipating my moves, so I always stop my board on my toe side, I have the chance of avoiding the plonkers. It's a hard habit to break without being very deliberate in my moves, plus I'm not yet even a two week skier, I've a long way to go and a lot of fear to overcome before I'll get it right most of the time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, I need to think about that, I can't see knowing the root cause is going to help me wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ClaretKid, the Volkl 724 PRO is stiffer than the 724 EXP, so you might want to try both (I'm saying this because I like the EXP but I'm 2 inches shorter, and 45kg lighter and a female!) The K2 Apache Crossfire and/or Recon might also be something to consider - I believe the crossfire is the softer of the two!? And the Nordica SUV 10 and 12. Just a few for you to think about. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Atomic reckon that the Metron B5 is the stiffest of the Metron range (also happens to be the most expensive!) but not sure how they compare to the SX 11's and SX 10's.

Apparently there is an Atomic dealership about 10 miles from me in Otley - amazing, about as far away from a snow covered piste as you could imagine. I'm off to have a look tomorrow and see what I think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ClaretKid, if you call the Ellis Brigham shop at Castleford they let you have a try of various skis in the snow dome. Thay do Atomic, but not the B5 unfortunately.

Ask them what they have and get them to put a couple on one side for you to try.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for that. Have looked at a few in Glide & Slide and I think the SX B5's are going to be the ones.
snow report
No problem at all finding Fischer gear in UK. Spent a week with the UK Fischer rep in Les Gets in January, testing RX8's and RX 6's. Based in Glasgow or Edinburgh, can't remember which, or maybe it's Perth.

If you want contact details, let me know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy