Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas-Fee and Kandersteg/ Adelboden area

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from our first ever trip. Got to Saas-Fee and despite no snow for 3 weeks all areas were open and quite acceptable to ski upon. Snow started Tuesday night and didn't stop until yesterday morning. Friday was windy and lifts were shut. Plenty of snow for anyone going now for the foreseable future.

Took Post Bus back to Goppenstien and after going through the Lotschberg Tunnel we were met with a wonderful winter scene. Must have had even more snow that Saas Fee, 4-5 foot perhaps in places.

Envy anyone going in the next few weeks!

Already working out how I can go back (on a budget this time) before the end of the season.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Micksup, thats great to know cos we are of to Saas this Saturday (29th). Cool

Got a good late deal booking through igluski.com. Our tour operator is Crystal.

Its worth checking out Inghams on a Friday 2 weeks before your travel date cos thats when they usually drop prices. We scored a great deal last winter to Kitzbuhel that way.

So tell me more about Saas Fee, whats hot and whats not? Where's good for a few apres ski drinks? Any info gratefully received!

Glad you had a good time! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PinkJelly, are you in a hotel or Self-catering? Are you with a family party? Let me know and I will pass on some reports on what we did.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Micksup , oops, was logged in under my wife's username there (PinkJelly), but I'll continue under my own details.

We are staying in a hotel (La Collina) on a half board basis and there's 2 of us, me and PinkJelly .

Did you try your hand at any of the other activites on offer there? - fancy a go at the husky sledging myself!

cheers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ben, from memory I think La Collina is pretty central and only a short walk (10) to the lifts and Alpin Express. They have the usual Electric Milkfloat Bus to take you around if you need that, however nowhere is more than a very short away. As for other activities, we did take a sledge ride, but check ahead with the tourist office on the days that these are running. After all the snow this week the trip will be worth it. Have fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Envy anyone going in the next few weeks

Ahh roll on the 5th Feb... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Micksup , I presume there are such things as cash machines there. Just working out how much money to take, and whether I can top it up during the week from a hole in the wall.

cheers
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ben, yes although I didn't use them there are at least two banks with ATMs, one SBS close to the Collina and another (not sure of name) around 7-8 minutes in the direction of the nursery slopes, just after Inter Sport. Again may be worth checking with the Tourist Office by email that these will take the usual cards - although I am sure they will. Across from the farther ATM you will find three lively Ski Bars that tend to open from 15.30 onwards. If you are taking the Alpin Express you will have a 5 minute walk, if you come down to the nursery area its a 1 minute walk to these bars.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, we're back from a great week there. Pistes are a bit limited (only 100kms) but we knew that anyway, but we went down the road to Saas Grund which has some nice runs. Also had a day in Zermatt which was just fantastic.

Saas Fee is such a beautiful place - great bars and restaurants, very pretty, traffic free, and the scenery is spectacular.

Thanks again for your information micksup
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just love that area....I think you went to the best place though as I've been to Kandersteg and whilst it is an absolutely idyllic village the skiing is very limited
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off to Saas on Friday....so I hope the snow's behaving itself!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You lucky thing! I think it was our best week's skiing ever! But that's also due to the fabulous people we met from Birmingham too, Steve, Maz and Ian! The snow is fantastic right now. It only snowed once in our week but there's more than enough on the glacier to last a while yet. I still want to be in Saas Fee now, not back at work again. A couple of good points for Saas Fee that Ben didn't mention are:

The world's highest revolving restaurant at th etop of the funicular. 3500 metres, so watch out anyone prone to altitude sickness. The air is very thin.
The pistes are wide and well tended.
The glacier is immense. It twinkles in the sun. All blue/green ice spikes jutting out in places.
Very friendly locals.
Great food everywhere.
The beautiful village is completely car free, like Zermatt but more successful. So the air is sweet and clean and there's no traffic noise at night in fact the Swiss police will make sure of that and tell you to "shush" coming back from the bars in the early hours.
You can catch the "coca cola" courtesy "bus" which is an electric milkfloat-type vehicle. In fact most hotels have electric cars of their own so don't worry about carrying heavy baggage or skis for miles.

In fact, I can't list all it's good points now as I don't have time, but if you're interested you can view some of our (many) photos from last week plus a day's skiing in Zermatt you can have look here...

and here....
and here....

Enjoy the views when you go, Elizabeth, I've never seen anything better!

Gillian Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
...brings back memories - I remember standing with Mrs H on the "Glacier Bridge" at the top of the village, with a plastic cup of gluhwein in my hand thinking how fantastically beautiful it all was snowHead

Saas Fee does feature the "Mother of all T-bars" up on the glacier - 11 pylons and about 20 minutes transit time Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
heh we timed the t-bar it's 'only' 15 minutes!
But avoided it for the rest of the week but great views while you're waiting!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great photos, PinkJelly.

Can you see the Matterhorn from Saas, or are you on the "wrong side"?
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, I don't think so...you're not often at the top in Saas Fee - you get a fantastic view from the top station of the underground funicular, looking south but I think the Matterhorn is to the west.
latest report
Oh sorry the photos aren't in any particular order. We opted for a day trip to Zermatt to enjoy a larger range of pistes. Really good day too. Just less than an hour by private buss from Saas Fee.
We travelled with Crystal Holidays after booking with Igluski.com. Chalet staff and reps were great too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy