Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, we get alot of skiing tips in this forum, but not really any snowboarding tips. This is basically a thread to post snowboarding tips that you have found useefull. I'll start it off:
To initiate a turn, you want to have more pressure on your front foot. Through the course of the turn, you want to slowly move that pressure to the back foot. As you come out of the turn, equalize the pressure between your two feet. This pressure shifting is key for keeping your balance, and also helps you carve nice, smooth lines.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good tip. Nice to see some boarding advice Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
my boarding tip.. get yer back bottom out to france this weekend..
watch all the snow falling.. find somewhere 'steep n deep'
get on the back foot and have it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can i ask? I have often thought I would like to swap my skis for a snowboard on the last day of the week, is it worth it? Can you actually feel you have achieved anything after 1 day on a board or would you recommend 2+ days? And... does boarding give the same buzzzzzz as skiing Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowbird, I tried boarding for a 3 hour morning session at Castleford and by the end of that time I could just about switch edges to turn. Put off from pursuing it further by the repeated falling over! If you do try, get protection for your ar$e and wrist guards - I didn't do the former and even for the single lesson wish I had.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowbird, In the right conditions, riding a snowboard is better than sex and half as painful. In chopped up icy, rutted crud it’s a liability. If you have both skills you can choose the best tool for the prevailing conditions. On ‘hero’ snow there is nothing to beat pointing a board down a piste and pulling tight radius minimal G turns straight down the fall line with just the smallest hint in the snow that you’ve passed that way (be nice to the people behind you) snowHead .
You’ll have to take the following under advisement since it appears that I’m unable to link more than four turns in sequence Madeye-Smiley .
Ponder’s right, It’s where you put your weight into the board that’s the key to both riding fast and learning, keeping your centre of mass passing through the board in front of the centre of rotation in the direction you wish to travel.
Learning can be a literal pain in the ar§e. From observation that’s down to people trying to get moving down the hill too quickly, without first learning the body movements and balance needed to control the board. These can and should be explored on a flat surface and that exploration also helps to discover your ‘natural’ stance which when applied WILL reduce your learning curve.
Before you try learning, take the time to watch a couple of first time beginners classes, if the instructor takes no time to look at and discuss and explore binding angles, stance and body flexibility (and he hasn’t got a couple of screwdrivers with him to help you make adjustments), give him a wide berth. When you find someone who gets their students setup into a safe and responsive condition, book a few lessons, you’ll progress quicker and have far less chance of injuring yourself.
Butt pad, wrist guards and a helmet are strongly recommended, the first two shouldn’t cost more than 40squid.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son, trying to help his old mother, told me to try to "steer with my knee" - front knee that is - it worked quite well and was a lot more effective than steering with arms/shoulders, which was what a French instructor told me. I was only on easy blue slopes, and Iat a low level of learning, but the "steer with the knee" tip certainly worked for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As with skiing, all movement should come from the lower body, whilst the upper body floats along, graceful as a swan.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer wrote:
whilst the upper body floats along, graceful as a swan.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowbird, while you can have fun on a first day of snowboarding, you will be falling quite a bit, and will very likely not be linking turns. It really starts to get fun after about 3 days or so.
I'll throw in a couple more board tips:
- stay loose, and keep your knees flexed, so that you can easily absorb irregularities in the snow. You also want to flex at the ankles, so that combined with the knee flexing you stay centered over the board
- once you learn to carve by leaning, try carving with your legs. Basically, instead of having your body cross over your board, have your board cross from side-to-side under your body. This type of carving alows for very quick edge-to-edge changes, and has a very springy feel. Once you get it down, try changing edges as quickly as possible. Eventually the two styles of turns (leaning/body powered and leg powered) sort of merge into one, though you focus more on leg powered turns in certain situations, and more on body powered in other situations
- wear wrist guards snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowbird, We keep forgetting the big one 'KEEP YOUR HEAD UP'. If you look down at the snow, that's where you'll end up lying.
If you've ever done any aerobics . . . the 'start' position . . . head up, back straight and vertical, tummy tight, hips under your shoulders in a vertical line from the centre of your foot, knees relaxed in line with your feet and your feet a little over hip distance apart . . . that's the basic neutral stance on a board. Everything in balance and no tension that you're not appying yourself and NO discomfort. If you feel you're being forced into a position or a joint is at its limit of movement then there's something wrong with your setup.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tips for beginner snowboarders (from a 1 weeker...)

1. Get padded up. You will fall over hard - if padded it doesn't matter, but if you're not then you will be overcautious trying to prevent yourself from falling on the bits that are already painful. I had bum pad, knee pads and wrist guards and although I felt like michelin man getting ready was very grateful on the slopes

2. Spend lots of time doing the easy stuff to get a feel for balance. First going straight on a really shallow slope to get the feeling of balance and what its like when the board is straight but you're not. Then lots of heel and toe edge flyleafing/zigzagging. You'll probably find one of the edges is easier than the other - practice the one you're crap at! Although it might feel boring I found that time spent on this really helped me learn the balance and 'biting point' of the board. (Although I know if you're a boy this is unlikely to happen as you'll probably prefer to just go for it from the start!)

3. Take time out... Found this much more physically demanding than skiing - body has never ached so much. Really need to stretch in the mornings before going out, and in the evenings hot baths and lots more stretching were required!

Its worth it though!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the hints I feel like a am ready to experiment now, maybe's at th EoSB. Masque,If its better than sex I may stay a while longer than originally planned. Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowbird, two things - whats this about the DARK SIDE and more importantly " better than sex I may stay a while longer than originally planned " am I doing it wrong ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're boarding at the EOSB? I may bring mine then, anything else, tele's, XC ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy