Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mobile phones abroad - which service?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody had any experience using the service called Riiing that is offered by http://www.oneroam.co.uk or something similar. I think the SCGB web site has a link to a similar service but it seems to be country specific.

28p per minute calls to the UK from europe and no incoming call roaming charges seems to be quite a good deal.

And before anybody infers it I do not have any links business or otherwise to oneroam.

CP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ABOUT F* TIME something like this arrived . . . anyone using them?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:
ABOUT F* TIME something like this arrived . . . anyone using them?

I intend to providing I don't hear anything negative from the good folks in this forum. So I will report back after our trip to la Rosiere at half term.

CP
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could be a problemn for anyone with a "locked" phone supplied by their provider. Try a different SIM card in your phone before buying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skanky, Buy a cheap pre-pay from Tesco. They should be unlocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skanky, you can get an unlock code from your service provider and then buy a SIM card in France, even cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, But when in La Rosiere if you ski over into Italy does the network change?

CP
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I don't need to, but thanks for the suggextion. wink

I have about three old, unlocked phones lying around somewhere. I thought it worth warning people in case they get abroad and find they're stuck with the phone & SIM that won't work with each other.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 3-02-05 16:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, yes, you keep getting those annoying text messages welcoming you to your new service provider.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax wrote:
CP, yes, you keep getting those annoying text messages welcoming you to your new service provider.

David, So if I understand the way these mobile networks work: If I have French sim card and I want to phone the UK it will cost me a couple of limbs per minute and I would attract roaming charges when SWMBO calls us. Also if we are over in La Thuille and we get a call from France that would be judged as an international mobile call, more limbs of expense and there would also be a roaming charge.

Now I may have got this completely wrong, if so would somebody explain please as I am not of the mobile age.

CP
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CP, you have a complete grasp of modern telephony whatever you do it will cost you a fortune, but for use in France, a French SIM card is the lowest cost option. As a matter of interest and completely off topic we've just signed up with call18866, www.call18866.co.uk UK local and national calls free, calls to France 2p per minute and even calls to French mobiles at 12p per minute.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 3-02-05 17:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David@traxvax, yeah Orange wanted to charge us £100 to do that. That was a few years back, so they may do it more cheaply now.

On a similar note, I have relatives who live in Ramsgate who sometimes find themselves on a French network and have to re-search for their UK one or pay roaming charges.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just come back from France and a local SIM card is not a cheap option. I used SFR (Vodafone to you and me) and it costs 75 euros a minute to call the UK - that's over 50p a minute. The other drawback is that as soon as you leave France it's useless - it won't roam unless you have had roaming enabled and my French wasn't good enough to do that on the phone. Ring seems a good idea - has anyone tried it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
short-board wrote:
I have just come back from France and a local SIM card is not a cheap option. I used SFR (Vodafone to you and me) and it costs 75 euros a minute to call the UK - that's over 50p a minute. The other drawback is that as soon as you leave France it's useless - it won't roam unless you have had roaming enabled and my French wasn't good enough to do that on the phone. Ring seems a good idea - has anyone tried it.

75 euros a minute!! Shirley some mistake....................

I have the Riiing sim card and have loaded it up ready to go on Sunday - will report back.

CP
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, SFR works very well for some distance onto Italy . However a little word of advise .. when your there set the Carrier yourself, if you leave it on Automatic it will roam.
snow conditions
One question re. the Riiing card - what kind of number do they give you for people to dial?

I was just wondering whether, as the calls are so much cheaper to make and receive abroad, it costs an arm and a leg to call a Riiing number from the UK.
latest report
Newbie50, It should not matter to me which network is picked up as I have the Riiing service - 28p per min to phone home, Blighty, and no roaming charges on inbound calls.

Interestingly the phone number for the Riiing sim is from Liechtenstein. Seems that when I dial out I will have to hang up and will get a call back when the connection is made.

See http://www.riiing.com for details

CP
snow report
CP, I was just checking, and their SMS prices are similar to using a UK phone abroad. I also see they don't allow data, so I'm guessing picture messaging is out too.
latest report
Well spotted CP - it was 75 euro cents a minute!!! My credit ran out so quickly it just felt like 75 euros.
snow report
CP, There is mention of a call setup charge each call with the Riiing service, any idea how much that costs ?
Tried the web site but didn't see a price.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 11-02-05 7:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Just had another look and think it may be 18p ?
snow conditions
Reporting back from using the Riiing sim card in France and Italy.

Firstly when we were in Villaroger before Christmas for week I spent about £80 in calls home on my normal UK sim card.

The Riiing sim cost me £29.99 with 5 euros credit on it I added another 2 x 15 euro top ups at a cost of £25.60.

Hard to judge just what my spend was but we used the phone roughly the same amount of time to call SWMBO at home and I still have 17 euros credit on the phone. So pricewise it looks to be a no brainer.

Phone operation was a little strange and took a while to work out. When making the call you dial the number or use memory and get a message back saying that the operation is not allowed. Then you get a call back straight away like an inbound call, this was sometimes anserwed by my Wife but if the answerphone cut in it just terminated the call. However I discovered somehow that when I was being rung back if I put my Nokia 6230 into loudspeaker mode the ring tone changed to the normal UK one and if the answerphone cut in I could leave a message. Strange but true Madeye-Smiley

Inbound calls from both UK landline and mobiles worked as per normal - I did not try text as I am too old and have big fingers Smile

CP
snow conditions
ANYONE INTERESTED: A friend I am going skiing with has sent me a special offer that might be worthwhile taking a look at. A promo code from SIM4travel that lets you buy their SIMs for under £20 (normally £29)...seems like it’s a test code. I am taking my mobile phone skiing this winter... its worth a sniff. We’re going to buy them for the group going so we can get around roaming charges when calling each other. Looks like the card can reduce call rates, the PROMO code is: PROMO$$TEST
snow report
Vodaphone passport might be worth a look if you want to make a lot of calls from Europe to the UK. It's free on all contracts I think. 75p to set up the call, then you are charged as though you are in the UK. So provided you have enough minutes the call will only ever cost you 75p. Also the 'Stop The Clock' thing where a call up to 60 minutes only counts as 3 minutes works on it as well. So a 59 minute call from France in the evening or at weekends will cost you 75p and take 3 minutes from your talk plan. Of course you have to be on a contract with Vodaphone, but if you call from Europe a lot then that takes some beating.
snow report
This SIM for travel service and your post on Vodafone passport got me going on mobile call costs...its crazy!!

I had suggested to the group that we just take our own phones - I was shot down by them..on checking my charges I realised that its SO expensive. I was in a dilemma, we do need phoens out there as I am in tocuh with work and also we need to communicate with eachother.

I just had a look at the passport thing this morning - that looks great. I have been investigating the mobile phones for the group as we have mixed abilities in the group so we are going to be spread out far and wide when skiing (we've all been given tasks by my wife who is organising the trip - I am investigating mobile phones Shocked ). There are 12 people going (3 families) but we are all on different networks and only one person in the group is on Vodaphone and you cant use it on any of the other networks.

I just worked out that SIM for Travel is really cheap when you call in their system/network and its only 32p a minute to make a call. I dont think we'll be calling for extended periods of time when over there - its more frequency of calls.

I have checked out the other mobile companies and none of them have good rates, they give you a really small discount for buying these interneational options - Vodafone is the best of the networks but I am going to try SIM4travel just because I have this discount code. (I bought 3 just now and I have received confirmation so I should get it on Monday). Just to make sure this was not a hoax code I rung their customer services and they have confirmed the order is on the system so this is great! Got 3 SIMs for the price of 2. Also as part of the conversation with the customer services person, I was told that SIM4travel is available through the Ski Club of Great Britain.

I will update you all on Monday with how the service looks.

Now a personal question - dont laugh...I have size 14 feet and need to find some Ski Boots.

Can anyone help me - because I have been told that I am unlikely to get them over there. I can squeeze into 13 but would prefer a slightly larger boot....as I said don't laugh - help
snow conditions
I've been looking at satellite broadband for some time and I MAY (repeat may) just have found a solution that provides cheap or free phone calls in and out through VOIP. It won't be much use for the holiday maker but for those with homes or apartments it might be of use. Have a dig through http://www.silvermead.co.uk/satellite/twoway/smallbusiness.html The PAYG package is a new twist to sat-broadband.
snow report
Chris G, if you contact the resort hire shop direct they should be able to tell you if they can get size 14 boots for you and reserve you a pair, I think 14 is about as big as off the shelf boots go though so don't count on them being really good boots, if you want your own pair Strolz can probably produce you a custom built pair for arround £350 -£400 but you may need to take a trip to Lech in Austria for a weekend to get them made.

By the way Welcome to snowHeads wink
snow conditions
By the way I was wrong a few manufacturers do actually produce size 15 ski boots but they are very rare, also I guess if you're a size 14 you are also a fairly big chap which means you are likely to need a stiffer boot than someone smaller
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A word of warning to roamers. Be sure to disable all your call forwarding before you go roaming. I know from personal experience that a forwarded call will result in a DOUBLE international call being charged to you!!! That means that if you have your mobile mailbox enabled and you don't answer an incoming call whilst abroad things get very expensive. The reason being that your local network directs the call at your known location abroad, which then establishes a second call back to your mailbox! You pay for both legs! That's a gotcha that'l getcha Evil or Very Mad
Even more outrageous is the situation that I once got into with Vodaphone (D2 Germany) were I traveled to France, switched on my mobile and used it there, switched it off and flew back to Germany but didn't switch it back on again. Due to a fault in the connection between networks every call to that phone continued to be forwarded to France and then back to Germany again resulting in me getting a phone bill for DM900 in that month! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
I received my SIM4travel product this morning - its pretty slick. Its a pay as you go product and its free to receive calls in over 50 countries. I put the SIM into my phone (which was unlocked) and I was ready to go - it picked up O2 whilst in the UK. This truely is an international SIM - I am off to Barcelona with my wife in February and I will also be able to use it there. I rang my wife on it and its really clear - teh calling method is differet but I sussed it on my first attempt.

I did not top up when I purchased it (£19.99) with the special discount code but I reckon I will need to so I did it directly from the phone...this aint bad. This looks like a professional outfit and it should save me money.

I sent my number to all my key contacts and told them to save this number as my "International" number. I got a lot of grief as my friends think I am earning heaps to have a "International number"...only cost me £20!!!

I am off to France on business in the second week of October - will tell you if its any good.
ski holidays
Oh BTW - Thanks for the advice on the boots- My wife called the resort and they said they had a single pair of Saloman boots....in my size! I honestly thought I was going to struggle with crunched toes but thats great...cheers all! She has reserved them for me.
latest report
CP wrote:

David, So if I understand the way these mobile networks work: If I have French sim card and I want to phone the UK it will cost me a couple of limbs per minute and I would attract roaming charges when SWMBO calls us. Also if we are over in La Thuille and we get a call from France that would be judged as an international mobile call, more limbs of expense and there would also be a roaming charge.

Now I may have got this completely wrong, if so would somebody explain please as I am not of the mobile age.

CP

You would also have the cost of buying a French SIM card. Bad news all round for a weeks sking. My advice, leave the mobile at home.
ski holidays
davidof, I usually transfer all my calls to my home phone no while I'm away. , take the mobile anyway, and call home one or twice to pick up the messages. Anyone I know will text me. However, I now have my landline phone calls billed thro' Onetel, and I can register a mobile no on the account. Although it does not account for recieved call charges, I can use their walk and talk service abroad which bills everything back to my home no. Useful? A 4 minute call from my mobile to my French mortgage provider cost me £3.37 in June, a 3 minute call in August via the Onetel no cost me 8p . I've yet to try out the walk and talk service but I'll let you know.
(Thanks to admin for this tip).
It doesn't solve the received calls problem though. I only received one call from a French landline and it cost me £1.15. All the rest were from UK mobiles and didn't cost me anything.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy