Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non stop ski

Poster: A snowHead
im currently looking at taining to be a ski instructor with non stop ski and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company or could recomend any others
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think others here have been on an instructor's course with Nonstop. FWIW we have done a fair bit of research, and my son will be spending part of his gap year doing their 11 week course in Banff starting in January.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chelt881, How old are you? I know someone who did NonStop in Fernie this year. She is a thirty something year old and found the living conditions pretty tough due to the amount of partying going on at all hours of the night. Also, there are very few single rooms available so be prepared to share with an unknown quantity. If it wasn't for that she would have dealt with the skiing better. She did pass her L1 CSIA and was about to do her L2 when she got injured. Generally speaking I understand that the course/tuition is good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a gap year company I think Nonstop are probably one of the best (from what I've heard) - and I can definitely vouch for the instructors as excellent - I work with them and have learned a lot from them. You do need to keep in mind it's primarily a gap year course though, if you're not 18-19 on the 11wk course (and have a trust fund or at least act like you do), you might find yourself a little out of place...

However, I think the course instructors in Fernie are great - if you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to help.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, who is currently on holiday did nonstop to banff. I know he thougherly enjoyed it and no doubt when he gets back will give you the low down!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, Alltracks run ski instructor courses in Whistler, Revelstoke & Banff. There is obviously a lot of companies out there now offering instructor training now so plenty of choice. I would do plenty of research. Our accommodation is high quality & central at all three of our resorts. If you are worried our living in accommodation with a large group, our Whistler course accommodation is in lovely, comfortable chalets and condos (6 - 8 people) where we try to accommodate people of similar age together. I can send you some photos of the accommodation if you like?

If you are intersted in finding out more about the Alltracks course, please send me a PM or email. Our site is http://www.alltracksacademy.com
If your organised with another company already, have an awesome time! Lets hope for a big season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did the six week course in Fernie with Non Stop. I paid the extra for a single room in a house, which was very pleasant. I'm not sure how much good the course did for my skiing but it was a great experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I looked through all the options (inclduing alltracks) and Nonstop was the best looking choice to me. Looking back and after speaking to folks on other courses, we had it best. If you have any specific questions just ask.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all the replies i am currently 19 and will be saving up by going full time at my work for a year therefore i dont mind working a bit harder if a single room is better. Ihave searched all options and currently Non stop are top of the pile with my second choice as the international accademy. However i am a fairly comfortable skier am ok on reds however still strugle on the occasional black, when you were out ther ARV did you find that the majority of skiers were were better than this levle as i dont wont to feel like i maybe slowing the whole group down. Also did you visit any of the preview days and if so were they helpfull as this is a big decision to be made because looking at 11 week instructor course with the eye getting a job for a couple of years. Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
also looking at Fernie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds like your level will be fine. I skied with both the Nonstop course conductors and a lot of the 11 weekers this year (I did my first year instructing/second year in Fernie last season - didn't do nonstop but met lots of people who did). Wouldn't worry too much about sharing rooms... unless it really bothers you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chelt881, there was a girl who had never skied up until 2 weeks prior to the course, did a 2 week course in Fernie ( to learn to ski ) then the 11 week in Banff and became really really good, passing level 2. I didn't visit the preview days because getting down from Scotland is a pain in the ar*e. Going with Nonstop was the best option for me. If you can, don't fly Air Canada, go BA Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
why BA not Air Canada.

Did anyone do the instructor course and if so did you get help with finding jobs afterwards?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am quite surprised at the idea of someone who is not a fluent, stylish skier on black runs already wanting to learn to teach. But what do I know.
Are you fluent in steep or heavy off piste or breakable crust?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, I think that there is a distinction : the full BASI/European model holds that you have to go through everything to be a real teacher - the N American that you have to know enough and be good enough to teach up to a level. Both have their pluses and minuses. Bear in mind that in the US and Canada except at higher levels (maybe a few inidividuals per resort) ski instructor is not a career job (and even then they probably deal real estate etc on the side).
ski holidays
chelt881, Air Canada absolutely sucks. BA is a whole lot better and they fly the same route.

I work in Scotland with my qualifications but I suppose that doesn't count a whole lot. A lot of folks went back and worked in Banff this season and got jobs easy, Nonstop give you a big info pack which gives you all the necessary.
latest report
snowball wrote:
I am quite surprised at the idea of someone who is not a fluent, stylish skier on black runs already wanting to learn to teach. But what do I know.
Are you fluent in steep or heavy off piste or breakable crust?

You expect to teach that kind of terrain as a rookie teacher? You don't get many of those high-end lessons even when you're overqualified for them. I'd argue that "wanting to teach" is a way more important factor than your current skiing level. It's the kind of attitude that stuff like the speed test enforces - if you want an instructor who can show you up but not teach you how it's done... isn't that the ESF? Wink

As for doing Nonstop to get your Level 2 - if you focus and work hard you'll do it, and the course coaches are excellent/quite often your examiners - but don't be suprised when 80% of the 11week course don't push for their 2... There were maybe 7-8 returning from last season Nonstoppers working at Fernie last year, and a few people that started with Nonstop and were still there - so I think as job opportunities go, if you make a good impression, you should get one, as your coaches will give you good references. I don't know how many got turned down, but I didn't meet any.

fatbob - I know a few career instructors, but you kind of have to have a summer/shoulder occupation given the nature of the business...
ski holidays
i realise its only a winter job but im sure i could find other jobs here or there as the money doesnt matter to me as long as i have enough to get by i would rather enjoy my life than stuck in a job that i dont enjoy with good pay. As for gaining more experience i will get one on one tutiton next year in order to get my skills up.
ski holidays
chelt881 wrote:
i realise its only a winter job but im sure i could find other jobs here or there as the money doesnt matter to me as long as i have enough to get by i would rather enjoy my life than stuck in a job that i dont enjoy with good pay. As for gaining more experience i will get one on one tutiton next year in order to get my skills up.

Then become a chalet boy. You don't have to save up money for a year before you go, and you can free ski six days per week. Being a ski instructor is possibly the gayest job you can have if you actually just want to ski...
ski holidays
^^^ parlor is the expert on gay jobs NehNeh
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
^^^ parlor is the expert on gay jobs NehNeh

He said chalet boy not rent boy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wats wrong with passing on something that i enjoy to other people aswell as having a laugh with a group of people
snow conditions
chelt881, nothing at all. the point is that you have to really like teaching to be a ski instructor - some would say it helps to like teaching more than skiing

i went down the instructor route for a little while but it rapidly became clear to me that i would never be happy teaching snowplough on a powder day. thankfully there are people who are happy doing this otherwise we wouldn't have many instructors but it's something you need to think about
latest report
DaveC, agreed. You don't need to be Einstein to be a physics teacher!
snow report
xyzpaul wrote:
DaveC, agreed. You don't need to be Einstein to be a physics teacher!

Not sure that it's a reasonable comparison to say that being comfortable on blacks is the equivalent of being Einstein!
latest report
But some say Einstein was comfortable on blacks and still managed to think of the notion of wave-particle duality..... And possibly doing both at the same time...
snow report
parlor wrote:

Then become a chalet boy. You don't have to save up money for a year before you go, and you can free ski six days per week. Being a ski instructor is possibly the gayest job you can have if you actually just want to ski...

You wash the pots and make the yoghurt cake, I'll take my freeride club skiing on the fifth pow day in a row... we'll see who's job's best Wink I spent a season on my credit card and last season working for the ski school - the unemployed season was Fernie's best year on record for a while, and I still had more fun last season hands down. It's true though, you have to want to teach and spend time with people.
latest report
The only reason I am actually working as an instructor is because the pay is better during winter than almost any other job I could reasonably expect to get and it is really handy for me. Plus I get plenty time to freeski. I am unsure whether I will spend a season teaching... probably not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chelt881, don't let this miserable lot put you off. If nothing else, the course will be a great experience and should make a huge difference to your skiing. Wish I'd done something like it earlier, rather than waiting until I could ski most everything but had picked up lots of habits that needed unpicking!
ski holidays
Hey Folks, Georgie from NONSTOP here. ..

Just thought I'd pop in to say hi, it's always good to see a debate on these sorts of things and thanks to anyone who has commented, I thought it might be worth ironing out a couple of the confusions mentioned above...

One comment was about the age range on our courses, it is a common misconception that we, along with many other companies doing what we do, operate only for 'Gap Year' students. We actually love the fact that we can take a wide mix of people on our courses from different places and different ages.

On the majority of our courses the age ranges look a bit like this:

1) The gap year students (age 18-20) – 35%
2) The post graduates/early career breakers (age 21-28 ) – 30%
3) The career breakers (age 28-40) 25%
4) The ‘maturer’ clients (age 40+) – 10%

This mixture of people and ages always makes for great group dynamics and everyone one is welcome and we have found that this only brings people together more as you can mix with people of all different ages and learn so much. We are lucky enough to be able to take high numbers of people on our courses so there will always be lots of people to mix with.

Another comment mentioned above was about single/twin rooms etc...

We have a number of single rooms available for anyone who would like their own privacy and those happy to share will stay in twin rooms (unless they opt for a triple or quad room, only available in Fernie). If you opt for a twin room we will pair you up with someone of the same sex and a similar age and we also send out a questinaire pre-arrival to find out how much you like to go out, whether you smoke or not and how tidy you are etc to enable us to pair you up with someone like minded! For those wishing for a slightly more independant life, you can opt to stay in a house rather than the lodge in Fernie and you will be living with others of a similar age.

I think that's about it, we hope you all have an awesome season - wherever you decide to go. For those who are coming to Canada with us, we can't wait! And for those who have already been - hopefully we will see you at NONSTOCK; the summer festival of the year! Very Happy

Take care all,

Georgie
ski holidays
I have done a 3 week course in Fernie with Nonstop.

Nonstop advertise themselves as providing ski instruction, in reality they provide guiding. If you want a holiday where you go to some cool parts of the mountain for the experience and photo opportunity, Nonstop are your people. If however you seriously want to improve your skiing technique do not opt for Nonstop, go for something like Warren Smith (I have also done a course with them, by contrast Warren Smith are brilliant at technical instruction).

Nonstop accommodation and food is also not brilliant, very much school meal standard.
latest report
Hey guys
I am thinking about joining the 11 week course, too maybe we could get in contact somehow and make a decision together.
I really want to go there my only problem is that i am from germany and im not sure if i would have any problems with the language
snow report
@Basti.dh, the last post was from last year so you might find that people have moved on.
latest report
The OP is probably married with a mortgage and at least one baby by now..... wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy