Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CHAMPAGNY EN VANOISE

Poster: A snowHead
More news on the dates for the new leisure centre in Champagny. Construction work is due to start in September 2011 with the majority of work being finished by summer 2012. The whole complex will be open by Christmas 2012, including what will be an indoor swimming pool. The leisure centre will also have an indoor climbing wall.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skichampcouk wrote:
More news on the dates for the new leisure centre in Champagny. Construction work is due to start in September 2011 with the majority of work being finished by summer 2012. The whole complex will be open by Christmas 2012, including what will be an indoor swimming pool. The leisure centre will also have an indoor climbing wall.
Skichamp - We were in Champagny at the weekend, amazing in the summer and the winter, and they have removed the signs indicating the dates when work is supposed to start and finish on the pool. The woman at the pool was very vague on when she thought it was going to start. Anybody got any further info?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
winterm, I have only been out there for a few days this Summer so haven't heard that much gossip.

The last I heard was they hadn't been able to obtain the funding from the banks to pay for the project.
The locals are not happy as the new mayor spent 3 million euros building the new car park next to the gondola and they don't really benefit from that. It is also empty most of the time as most people use the free car cark in le centre. It would have been most peoples preferred option to improve the leisure facilities and then spend what was left on a car park.
The architects poster showing details of the new leisure centre is still being displayed in the mountain guides office above the entrance to the swiiming pool so it looks like it will go ahead when they can obtain the funding. I think a meeting is planned for October and if I find anything out in the meantime I will update this thread.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info, lets hope that they get things sorted out soon
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The latest local gossip on the new leisure centre is that it has been delayed by at least 2 years, lots of cursing about the new car park and the recession. I think it is a case of wait and see what happens.

The good news is the new 6-seater Verdons Sud chairlift is up and running. It took me 6 minutes from bottom to top last week, a great improvement on the 15 -20 minutes the old 4-seater used to take.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skichampcouk, Any news on the farmers/landowners agreeing with SAP on the proposals for the village 'end' of the Mont de la Guerre. The improvements to the top have paid off and made it more reliable, but have served to emphasise the poor quality of the lower half Sad imho of course wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I didn't ask about the bottom end of the Mont de la Guerre although I skied down it on the 29th December, it seemed a bit wider and flatter at the bottom part that leads into the village. You still have the narrow track or the off piste bit leading up to that and I didn't notice any new snow cannons but the bottom bit didn't seem as difficult this year as in previous years.
However last year it was only open for one or two days and I never managed to ski down it then.

I always prefer Mont de la Guerre to le Bois, I skied down le Bois into the village around midday on the 30th December when the rest of the pistes were covered in powder. It wasn't as much of an ice rink as normal and there was enough snow to turn on the narrow, steeper bits but when everything else was excellent that was just about reasonable. My son and daughter look on it as a challenge but I think it is a bit of a pain, I would rather take the gondola down than go down le bois. Must be something to do with my technique.

I am out again next week (essential maintenance !!!, obviously nothing to do with cheap flights and tons of snow ??) so will see what I can find out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing, I haven't heard anything about the village end of Mont de la Guerre, admittedly I didn't ask. Fortunately the snow has been so good this year it has been open from the start of the season and has been good (and very busy) for most of the season. It only started to become a little dodgy at the bottom this week, it was 'spring like' towards the bottom on Friday afternoon.

A new development has recently been announced by MGM. They are going to build a new apartment block next to the Club Alpina residence which is close to the gondola and bottom of the le bois run.
When we bought our apartment 10 years ago we were informed that no new developments were to be allowed in 'the village' in the future. The first MGM residence (and the largest new development for years) was built on the edge of the village, maybe 1km from the centre.
However, the new MGM residence is to be built on land in prime position right next to the Club Alpina which is owned by the recently elected mayor?

Hopefully MGM will contribute towards the cost of the new leisure centre, we live in hope.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wonderful trip from Les Arcs to Champagny on 17 Feb. Near perfect conditions. Fresh snow right down to gondola on both Mont de Guerre and Bois. Lunch in the sun at Club Alpina. Never been before but I guess conditions like this occur only once or twice each season.

Great views across to Courchevel but what is the town that can be seen further East up the valley from the Mont de Guerre run? Is that Pralognan? Worth making a visit?

Lunch on the terrace at Club Alpina
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
al.p, The snow on Mont de la Guerre tends to survive better than on le Bois. This year has been excellent with Mont de la Guerre open from the very start of the season and has been in good condition most of the season.
Even in good snow conditions, on some of the steep narrow parts of le Bois, the snow usually ends up at either side of the piste. This creates bottlenecks with lots of skiers struggling to cope with the steep, narrow and usually icy sections.

The town you can see to the East of Courchevel is Pralognan la Vanoise and it is worth a day trip, I think it is included as part of the 6 day Paradiski unlimited pass. You can catch a bus from Champagny to Pralognan which takes about 35 minutes with www.altibus.com , Champagny is a stop on the Moutiers to Pralognan bus route.
It takes about 20 minutes to drive there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The only time I visit Pralognan is when I cycle up there in the Summer so cannot offer any skiing information from personal experience. It does have a reputation as a great area to go touring from and is sometimes referred to as 'the Chamonix of the Tarentaise'. The lift accessed area is small but friends of mine had an apartment there for a while and said it was great and if they were on the snow over the lunch period they had the piste to themselves.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi we are off to champagne 4th jan for a week. ?ski lessons for kids in la plague so we can meet wi them more easily afterwards but we were wondering what time the lifts close to get back to champagne from la plague? Ie if lessons finish at 4.30pm in la plagne can we get a gondola back to champagne or do we have to go back by road??!!! Thanks!
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harryval, Where in La Plagne are the kids having lessons? Why have you not booked them in Champagny?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi booking them in la plagne as we thought it would be more neutral - we will probably ski over there quite a bit so it would save someone having to go back to champagny every lunchtime to then come back to la plagne.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably with oxygene as have read/heard good reports about them - have used esf a few times and not been too impressed so thought we'd try someone different!
ski holidays
Harryval wrote:
or do we have to go back by road??!!! Thanks!
Very Happy Very Happy

It's quite a long drive....
snow report
Harryval, If the lessons finish at 4:30pm you would struggle skiing back from La Plagne to Champagny, again it depends which village in La Plagne. Is it Plagne Bellecote, Belle Plagne, Plagne Centre?
What level are they? Would they be able or happy to ski across for their lessons and ski back after a full days skiing?

The gondola down into Champagny closes at 4:50 pm so you would need to be back by then or be prepared to take them down one of a couple of difficult red runs each evening just as it is going dark.

If lessons finish at 4.30pm in any of the high altitude La Plagne villages I doubt you would make it back in time and as bertie bassett, mentions it is a long drive back by road. It is easier to drive to the 3 valleys from Champagny than to the other La Plagne villages.
snow report
Quote:

or be prepared to take them down one of a couple of difficult red runs each evening just as it is going dark.

Gosh, would the difficult red runs still be open then? As you say, on a gloomy day it would be in the half dark at this time of year. With the piste bashers revving up....
snow report
Bump
News of the Champagny Gondola being modernised.
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm
snow conditions
Most of the work appears to be complete on the Gondola, had a walk round there today and it looks like most of the work has been finished on the pylons and the new heads (the bit with the wheels that the cable goes over). The cable is still not back on the wheels yet but the new control panels have been installed and it looks like new power and signalling wiring is in place.
The old control panel (which was faulty for half a day on the busiest day of last season) is now dumped outside the lift pass office.
Some great pictures of the work on @boredsurfin, 's link.

It also looks like work should be starting soon on the new MGM residence, they have now fenced off an area next to the Club Alpina and it looks like there has been some machinery on there but nothing too major. I also saw some new construction permits in that area, at least I didn't notice them in the Summer so assume they are new.

The only other thing of note is that the Timbale pub is having a small extension built to the side above the garage, it looks like it should be finished before the start of the season.
ski holidays
It was the World Cup opening ceremony in the centre of Champagny en Vanoise this evening, they are holding the ice climbing World cup at the ice tower in Champagny le Haut tomorrow and on Saturday.
It has a very international feel with teams from as far afield as Iran, South Korea, Canada and the USA. Britain and Ireland are represented as well as France, Holland and what seemed like most of Russia.

For anybody interested you can see more details here - http://www.iceworldcup.fr/en/
snow report
The new MGM residence apartments have finally gone on sale with delivery due by Christmas 2017, they are in a prime location right next to the Club Alpina so less than 50 metres from the gondola.
More details for anybody interested - http://www.mgmfrenchproperties.com/en/development/les-balcons-etoiles-37

The extension to the Timbale pub has finally been completed and looks pretty stylish from the outside. They are advertising a new tapas restaurant in there, we've not been in there yet but I'm sure it won't be long before we sample it.
snow conditions
It looks like work has finally started on the new leisure complex in Champagny and it's only 5 years behind schedule.
When I was there the other weekend they had started to dig up the outdoor swimming pool and there was a large mound of earth / building material on what was the tennis courts and skateboard park.
A large amount of earth has also appeared at the entrance to the village where there are plans to build a small artificial lake, more details to follow probably some time in November.
latest report
The new MGM apartments next to the gondola now look like they are close to completion, only had a quick drive past but everything looks ready to open for Christmas.

The swimming pool (near the church) is now enclosed and it should be able to be used throughout winter, opening on 21st December 2017 until 22nd April 2018.
The plan to build a bowling alley and climbing wall has been shelved but there is a large area containing spas, saunas, and hot tubs on the ground floor of the leisure complex.

Lots of movements on the restaurant front. Tony Balli who was in the Son des Clarines (the garage) last season and Chalet des Bouquetins previously has now taken over Le Poya restaurant and has called it the Grand Bouquetin.
Clementine, who has worked in the tourist office for a few years, has now taken over the Son des Clarines.
The lady who started up the Son des Clarines will now be working in Spar for the season following the death of Madame Spar who had a heart attack in July.

The ski season starts on the 16th December at the same time as the rest of the La Plagne skiing area. Apparently this is a one in four year occurrence, it normally opens the week after the high altitude villages open.
Conditions look promising at the moment with plenty of pistes already bashed in preparation for the new season and the forecast is for at least a week of snow and bad weather. It's due to start snowing tonight or early tomorrow.
snow report
Greetings, skichampcouk, and good to read your annual post Toofy Grin
But you want to keep quiet about Champagny, or all sorts of Riff-raff will start turning up.
Champagny is by far the nicest village of the Paradiski set-up - you don't want the Plagne Centre/Bellecote lot turning up and ruining the place.
ski holidays

Jonpim Second post of the year
and it's only December.
A few pictures of / from the covered swimming pool.
snow conditions

The main centre of Champagny

The dead centre of Champagny
As everybody knows
La Plagne is an ugly
resort full of high rise
apartment blocks
snow report

Hotel and town hall

The main strip
More random views
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dear oh Dear!
The man just can't take advice.
Everyone knows Champagny is cold, damp, shaded, dark and snowless.
And then you post lovely pictures demonstrating just the oppisite.
Well, when the place fills up with ruffians and drunkards then it will be only you blame. Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Greetings, skichampcouk, a up.
Champagny is by far the nicest village of the Paradiski set-up -

ahem Toofy Grin
snow report
I hope the Champagny secteur Pisteurs have managed to get their end of Mont de la Guerre open for tomorrow
snowHead
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Drunkards on snowheads, shome mishtake shurely?

@boredsurfin, Mont de la Guerre still not bashed yet and even le bois is officially closed. Only way to keep the riff-raff and ruffians out.
snow report
Actually skichampcouk, leaving Mont de la Guerre wild is a deviously cunning plan. The riff-raff will still have a go ( there were tracks confirming this yesterday), but they will never reach the bottom alive (its in the name): a perfect riff-raff eradication system.
snow conditions
Hopefully they'll all head for MontCHAVin, as you say it's in the name.
snow report
MdlG is now a ski-route au naturelle thingy - it has seen it's last piste basher....
snow report
skichampcouk, montCHAVin - very good Laughing
ski holidays
@red 27, Where did you hear that?
From what I could see of it yesterday the top end had been bashed and looking up from the bottom of the gondola the bottom end had also been bashed. There were plenty of people coming down it this morning although I heard it was not officially open
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, it's marked as such on the piste map... I intend to explore for myself when out there in 2 weeks time.

Hope not to be honest.... It just seems like laziness on behalf of the lift company... Look at the 'Naturs' off the back of Aime - never a soul on them.
snow conditions
@red 27, I'd say the piste map is wrong or the pisteurs haven't seen it yet. MdlG was open and had been bashed today.
snow conditions
skichampcouk, the "correct" piste map for 2017-18 only appeared this last week.
Until today, the piste map on Yuge still showed the Carroley lift while the new Ange carpet at Arpette was missing.

The whole resort was meant to be full open last week, but many restaurants, lifts and runs were not.
I worry that an element of complacency is setting in.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy