Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Love this site!

I'm going to Wengen to the Hotel Bernerhof on March 5th...does anyone have any reviews of this hotel? I've read that the bathroom is kind of in a cupboard! Whilst I don't care about luxuries on a skiing holiday, a nice relaxing bath or shower after being on the slopes is a must!

Also, do you think I'll have any problems with lack of snow so late in the season?

Any tips, reviews would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inga, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I'm sure that there might be one or two people around that can help.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inga, March 5th isn't late - you'll be fine!
DG Orf is the man for the info on Wengen.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HInga, welcome to snowheads. End of Feb/Beginning march is a great time to go. We have been in wengen at that time for the last 5 years and have never been disappointed. Checkout the Jungfrau thread in this forum As wtfh said DG Orf is the man and he is in Wengen as we speak, (lucky so and so), but he may well see this and post something in reply.

Don't know anything about the Hotel Bernerhof but I think there may well be somrthing on the thread I mentioned. Try a search on the site.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you all for your help
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So, anyone got any scare stories about the hotel Bernerfhof!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inga, I've never stayed at the Bernerhof, but my parents have....twice. So it can't be that bad wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
inga ive stayed at the bernerhof you will be fine ,its traditional and family run,simple wholesome food, rooms a little basic but clean, plenty of hot water etc. I think most of the rooms are en suite apart from the attic rooms?
you will fall in love with wengen , its got to be one of the most magical resorts /areas on the planet youve got to do the tobbogan run its awesome fun but get your own tobbogan dont share or youll never stop.

HAVE FUN
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in Wengen last week from Wednesday to Sunday. Do not know about the Bernerhof but the brilliant snow conditions will make up even if there are shortcomings with the hotel. The slopes were unbelievably quiet. The whole time was just so enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Inga, we try not to mention Wengen too much in polite circles aound here, it tends to excite the rowdier element. Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goran, welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing Kramer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I don't want to bring rowdiness to this forum!!!!!!!!! Where would be better to mention? St Moritz??!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inga, it's too late, the damage is already done. As soon as a certain person gets back on the site, you'll see what I mean. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, this DG Orf I've been hearing so much about!!!??? It seems as if we are going to just miss each other in Wengen!
snow report
Shhhhh! Don't say his name out loud around midnight, he might appear behind you brandishing a piste map of the Jungfrau region! Shocked
ski holidays
Kramer, you're just jealous that we're all skiing in Wengen this year (and last, and next, and and) NehNeh
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, please see my thread about my upcoming trip to Zermatt on Sunday. NehNeh

I must admit though, the place whose name must never be mentioned does look quite tempting, although the lack of challenging on-piste runs (according to the guide), does put me off a little.
snow conditions
Kramer, I did see that, and assumed that was why you were jealous wink
snow report
Oooooooooooh! Handbags! Laughing

I don't disagree with you Elizabeth B, I think that when you do get a little older, and want a less frantic pace of life, then the place that I dare not utter it's name, and it's gentile cog railways is an ideal mountain resort. NehNeh
snow report
Youll have a lovely time, Inga. Nice and interesting town, spectacular mountains, as good as anywhere.

I think Im on my own with this on here, but pleasant as it is I think Wengen is massively overrated.
ski holidays
Inga, I've stayed twice at the Bernerhof. It's got a very convenient location on the Main Street (no worries about traffic noise though cos Wengen is car free - only electric taxis). I had a single room with SH/WC - don't know about the other rooms.
The breakfast is a good buffet (juices,yogurt, cereals, cold meats, cheeses, boiled eggs, bread, jams etc). For the evening meal there is soup, salad bar, main course (choice of 2 main course options - they ask you to mark up on a card your preference at breakfast) and dessert. The only problem this time was that the service at the evening meal was a bit slow - but in fairness the hotel was full since it was New Year, it may not be so bad in March.
I'm sure you will enjoy Weng... oops! the place whose name must never be mentioned snowHead
snow report
Ooh, I can't wait I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, don't mention the W....
I've already said it once, but I think that I've got away with it! Laughing
latest report
WengenWengenWengenWengenWengenWengenWengen- Damn! It just slipped out Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
Inga, you will love W@*&^%. We were the 3 or 4 years ago and it was wonderful. I'm sorry but I can't offer much in the way of info on your hotel but as far as I remember the resort whose name must never be mentioned copes well with little snow coverage.

What I mean is that in some resorts which get metres and metres of the stuff you find rocks poking through everywhere when there's 2 metres underfoot. In a place not far from Lauterbrunnen there's a resort with great skiing when only a few centimetres seem to have fallen. It must be the underlying grassy slopes as opposed to rocky terrain. When the JungOrf returns he will explain all.

But chill. If you can't chill in "the place near Grindewald" then you can't chill anywhere. I was on the train there and an anxious american said "jeez the trains run so slow here" - precisely!
snow report
Ah can I offer anyone a piste map of Wengen and the surrounding area wink

Wengen currently has as I look out the window of rocks bar about 35to 45cm of snow lying in the village with about 10 to 15cm extra on the lower slopes and much more higher up, you only need 30cm of snow on almost all the runs in the area to get good skiing so you should be fine in early march. Skiing at the moment is fantastic with the runs from Murren on the other side of teh valley open and pisted all the way down to Lauterbrunnen, The Bernerhof is cheap and chearful but some of the rooms can be a bit small, why worry as you only will be in them to sleep.
snow conditions
Inga, I forgot to mention that as regards the evening meal at the Bernerhof, if you want a change from the normal menu main course, you can choose to eat instead at the adjacent Pizzeria (which is owned by the hotel and does a choice of pizzas and pastas), or for a supplement in the hotel dining room you can have Raclette, Cheese Fondue, Fondue Bourgignon (i.e meat fondue) or a Feuerstein (sometimes called a Hot Rock in English - i.e you cook the meat yourself on a hot stone at your table, and it is served with chips and dipping sauces. Top tips if you do this - sprinkle some salt on the stone to stop the meat sticking, and cut the meat into small pieces so that the centre gets cooked properly Smile ). If you want any of these options just mark them up on the card they give you at breakfast snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmm, that HotRock thing sounds luscious Alastair, thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to mark it up on my card
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy