Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton problem

Poster: A snowHead
I booked St Anton for the week after next (11th-20th), not realising (I have no children) that it will be half-term and (I am ignorant) that it will be carneval week.
I had wanted to have an extra day on each end (ie staying friday night and leaving sunday morning) but was told, 4 months ago, when I booked, that hotels in St Anton book only Saturday to Saturday in high season. I would have to wait till a week before I go to see if the tourist bureau can find any spare rooms. They now say I must apply 1 or 2 days before I go, for the friday, and the day before I leave the resort for the Sunday. They are also now saying the resort is very full. They are saying can I change my dates (but its 4 months too late)
This is rather scary. Anyone got any ideas? (My friend and I could put up with a mattress on the floor or even a sofa for one night - though, just to get this clear, my friend is also a he and I'm not gay).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David. This happened to me once in St Anton and the tourist office searched high and low for a bed, eventually finding me one that a ski instructor had vacated while he was absent from the resort for a day or two! On another trip I found a British tour op which had a spare bed in a chalet.
Because St Anton is on the railway you can always stay down the valley and take return trains to/from the resort for the days you need. Not ideal, but it's one possibility.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't understand. Why are you insisting on staying an extra day each side? And why is it so necessary to stay those 2 days that you're working yourself up over it? Are you with a tour op, or independent? Without knowing more, I would advise you stay Sat to Sat as booked and go home when your booked accomodation runs out. Simple.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just stand outside the tourist office by the automatic room display on the day in question. Theres allways a room that comes available due to a cancellation. KO it may not be downtown but your get something. I,ve done this many times in the busiest period New Years Eve, Faschung .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda wrote:
I don't understand. Why are you insisting on staying an extra day each side? And why is it so necessary to stay those 2 days that you're working yourself up over it? Are you with a tour op, or independent? Without knowing more, I would advise you stay Sat to Sat as booked and go home when your booked accomodation runs out. Simple.
I'm afraid we booked the travel and the guide 4 months ago. You'd have to pay twice as much to buy travel now.

Thanks David and stanton.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball,

A lot of hotels/B&B's etc don't give up rooms for a few days until last minute because it prevents them from renting out for a full week.
As stanton says there is always something the standard and/or cost may not be the best but there's always something.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball. Clear as mud. I still don't understand. Why not just go home when the accomodation runs out?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Um, I booked the travel and guide 4 months ago, while it was still available, for the 11th to 20th (Friday to Sunday) period I wanted, but was told I would have to buy the first and last nights accomodation nearer the time. ie now. It would be extremely expensive to change everything.

I've never had a problem doing this sort of thing in the past!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh, I see (BTW you didn't explain as much when you first posted). Bet yr feeling a bit silly and upset about not checking re: accomodation/school hols situation before now, huh? You live and learn. If you were told to apply 1 or 2 days before you go, then that's what you do I would presume. Sounds like you'll get something.
Or you could talk to the guide about cancelling the Fri and Sat, or delaying it for a future weekend trip (outside school hols)? Betcha that's the easier option.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda wrote:
Oooh, I see (BTW you didn't explain as much when you first posted). Bet yr feeling a bit silly and upset about not checking re: accomodation/school hols situation before now, huh? You live and learn. If you were told to apply 1 or 2 days before you go, then that's what you do I would presume. Sounds like you'll get something.
Or you could talk to the guide about cancelling the Fri and Sat, or delaying it for a future weekend trip (outside school hols)? Betcha that's the easier option.

Manda... Maybe I've gotten the wrong end of the stick here... but take a chill pill!

Snowball was asking advice on how to secure the extra days accommodation... not asking to be told off.... is it really a problem for you if he doesn't stay Saturday to Saturday?

snowball, I can't offer any advice for St. Anton... but I'm sure from my own experience elsewhere you should easily get the extra days that you need. Good Luck!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, is this you hitting police cars ??? Very Happy

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13295431,00.html

That 13 y.o. has a great future bowling ahead of her if she can break windows with just an ickle bit of snow !! Won't be getting in a snow fight with her any day soon Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry to be pedantic Sonya, but that link takes you to a story about a guy who drinks unleaded fuel for a hobby. This one takes you to the real snowball !

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 7-02-05 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I must got the wrong end of the stick because Timberwolf "This one" web page reported "cannot be displayed". Is this a St Anton's problem? rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, If Ski Total haven't filled their chalets for next week, they will let you have a room for 11th. Give them a call as soon ayou can. If that fails, I'm pretty sure you can book a room in advance in a hotel in Feldkirch- almost an hour away, but better than sleeping at the train station. Good luck
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apologies saikee, and all. Apparently World Wide Web does not have 4 W's ! Link now edited
snow report
Ooops. Thanks Timberwolf, now we're sucking diesel as they say ...
ski holidays
Sorry all, I haven't been back on here since the 3rd.
2 days before I went the tourist office said "it's to early, call tomorrow evening" (ie a few hours before going).
Luckily when I did I got 3 offers (though the cheapest was more than twice what I was paying on the main week).
On the actual Saturday before leaving St Anton we managed to get a nice cheap room for the last night where one of the guides was staying (his wife works in the tourist office).
In between we had a wonderful week skiing first tracks in knee-deep powder. Our guide was great and often the first in on a new side of the mountain that had become safe enough to ski. Strangely St Anton doesn't have many qualified guides and only a handful that have done the full "Guide des Haute Montagne" or equivalent.
I'll put in some photos later, I hope.
ski holidays
PS I'm shocked you could think it was me caught drinking petrol. I'd never mix 4 star and diesel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy