Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots for Large Feet!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but my partner is willing to try skiing again if his boots actually fit. He has size 12 feet, but they are also very wide. He tried having a pair adjusted to fit by snow and rock, £300 quid or so later, he was still in agony and returned them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where in the London area he could either have boots made to fit, or a very good fitter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'l find loads of info on Profeet if you use the search option - I think they may be just what you are looking for

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=74568&highlight=profeet#74568
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's interesting, thanks. We do live in London so could easily get to Fulham. Do you know if they are very expensive?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes there is a charge of £99 for fitting on top of the cost of the boots, but many believe they are the best and that the comfort is well worth the cost, particularly for feet where problems have already been experienced. You'll need to make an appointment - here's the link to their website.

http://www.profeet.co.uk/

Ice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got my boots fitted by profeet and was very happy with the result.

They do charge £99 for a fitting, including custom footbed however this is NOT expensive! It is worth every penny!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You're right, what's £99 extra when your feet are comfortable. We have had two ruined ski trips because of my partners agony in ski boots, he is only giving it another try because he loves me and it would make me happy ...ahhh!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The other option, and better IMO, is to get them in resort on your next trip. Ask around for a good custom boot fitter or look in the guidebooks, most decent-sized resorts will have a boot expert that the locals recommend. My experience is that even with a custom fit, what feels like OK after an hour in the warm shop could turn uncomfortable or worse after a day on the mountain. Your foot takes time to bed into a new boot and this is when the problems can start.

Last week I splashed out for my first full custom-fit at Mountain Air in Verbier. Made an appointment ahead and had the fitting on the first Saturday of the holiday. They guaranteed 100% satisfaction and asked me to keep going back in during the week to let them how I was getting on with the boots and to fix any problems. Paid CHF690 all in for boots (CHF350) plus custom liners and soles, and went back twice during the week for adjustments until I was totally happy with the comfort and performance. That's little more than I would have paid for a custom job at Snow and Rock. Worth every penny too, they're as comfortable as socks and they ski like a dream.

This is not to denegrate Profeet (haven't used them myself but I hear they are very good) and no doubt they guarantee satisfaction too. But it's hard for a fitter in London to tweak the liner or blow out the shell a bit when your feet are hurting again on day 2 of the holiday...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyrotten, has good points about fitting slopeside.

I decided to go with profeet as I could not get anyone to recommend a fitter in the whole of Chamonix valley. People said Footworks, but research showed that the guy who made it great has moved on...

Also I speak no French and bootfitting is definitely a back and forth process with your fitter, as it was my first pair of boots I wanted to fully understand the process, and get as much out of the fitter as I could.

Another consideration is that you don't have to spend any time in your holiday getting stuff done, and can ski instead! Of course if you do have problems with your feet then a local boot technician can still adjust them.

I did have to return to Profeet after wearing my boots around the house for a little further adjustment, however every day of my 3 weeks holiday was bliss (in the foot department anyway!) If you are anywhere near a snowdome then I am sure a few hours there would be better than standing around in the living room!

Ask for Hamish Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fragglerock, yeah fair points. If you can find somewhere in resort and language isn't an issue then it'd be my preferred way again. I was lucky - the local recommended bootfitter in Verbier was a Welshman (Nick Hammond). And I did get some ribbing from my companions for missing a couple of apres drinks sessions in the evenings while I was getting was boots tweaked *again*! Well worth the effort though.

I was less fortunate with comfort the first time out. By the end of day 1 there was pressure problem on the top of my big toe that was becoming intolerable. Don't know if that sort of thing is unusual when tuning up a good, very close-fitting boot, but the guys in the shop seemed to think it was par for the course. A quick blow-out of the toe area cured it completely.

If you are going to spend that sort of money in UK then an afternoon at the Snowdome to shake them out before the holiday is a very good idea snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy