Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whister Conditions > The Truth

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone going to Whistler soon ??

Take a look at these photos Sad

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=23602
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Time for a snow whistle
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That looks poor.

That is precisely the reason why I went to Lake Louise rather than Whistler on my honeymoon.

A friend just back from Banff (before the mild air arrived) said it was -41 in Lake Louise!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That looks pretty brutal. I am headed out there for two weeks on 5 March. Should I be cancelling or looking to move to somewhere else in Canada? Where else is nearby with snow that I can still use the flights we have paid for to Vancouver? Is there any chance this will come right in the next 5 weeks?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It looks like they were getting dumped on yesterday...
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/cams/webcam01.htm

But if you look closely, there's very little snow on the roof, which tells me it's still patchy there.
Nigel, I wouldn't back out yet, but give it another week or so, and see how it looks then.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The whole of the North West has had a BIG Meltdown. Its not that much better up North in Alaska
http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10805

My suggestion is to book internal North American Flights south to Lake Tahoe or fly on to Hawaii for a Sun break instead Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
there are some pics over on natives

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2005/01/30whis.htm

doesn;t look too great.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmmm. I'm not quite sure what's with the emotive thread titles, Whistler-Blackcomb don't really seem to be making any effort to cover up the fact that the weather has been shocking.
I've been here since 5th Jan, through the really cold patch, through the really rainy patch, and am here fore the rest of the season so am waiting for the really snowy patch!! snowHead
The ski outs are in pretty (very!) bad shape, but it's been snowing a bit for the last few days from the mid-station up, and from the rain I can here belting down outside, and the fact that the live conditions are below 0 on the mountain, I presume it is snowing hard up there.
Most of the runs on the lower mountain (below 1100M) are mostly gone except for the ones that the groomers are miraculously keeping open somehow (they were helicoptering snow in the other day - expensive snow-making or what!!? Shocked ), there is some really good snow higher up in the bowls - Couloir Extreme was great snowHead
You could tranfer to Tahoe in snow, but I reckon there is still more terrain in Whistler on a really bad year, than Tahoe on a good one, and the Apres doesn't get washed away by the rain!! wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth, since you;re out for the season, any tips on finding long term accomodation? we're toying with the idea of going out next season
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that you should all bear in mind that not infrequently it dumps up to 2m of snow in Whistler, all the way down to resort level. If you've got a whole month left before you go, I would be confident that you'll have good conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm booked from 20th MArch, a long time away I know, but my payment is due for the accomodaition, and I'v ehad a phone call from Canada tonight, but kids don't know who it was. They said they'd ring back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:
stuarth, since you;re out for the season, any tips on finding long term accomodation? we're toying with the idea of going out next season

I went through http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/ I emailed them and asked them if they had any long term rentals and they forwarded it to the owners on their books who got back to me directly. I suspect with the dodgy wearther so far you'll be able to swing a pretty good deal for booking long term next season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers Stuart
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't been able to check out the Whistler/Blackcomb site for about 2 days now, it just won't load up. Friand is phonig his daughter for us tonight to suss it out some more.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen,
It's snowed on and off for the last few days, some heavy, some light down to about the Whistler midstation. Been very windy. Not sure what you like to ski but the bowls around Whistler peak and Harmony have been really good the past few days. I also heard that 7th heaven on Blackcomb was top to bottom powder -off there tomorrow probably snowHead
Forecast is for a rising freezing level (rain maybe?! Sad ) wednesday then temperatures dropping sharply towards the weekend.
Lower down the mountain the runs are getting better but generally still aren't great, ski-outs are still nasty.
ski holidays
Quote:

ski-outs are still nasty
Not being pedantic, probably being thick, have come accross it a few times....What is a ski-out?, Many thanks
latest report
"ski-out" is the ski off the mountain down to the base. when I went to whistler, downloading on the gondola was a serious option as the closer you got to the base, the worse the snow was and the more people there were. Whistler has a very low base, hence the fact that when it's snowing on the mountain it may well be rainding at village level
latest report
stuarth, You did the couloir??? I hope there wasnt anyone sat near the bottom waiting for you Very Happy (I got the photos from Keith, did you?)
Keep us updated on the conditions please, i will be back in 6 weeks and 2 days.

Helen, dont panic, we will be fine. And hey, we can have a big snowheads meet up in the GLC one afternoon.
ski holidays
Robbie wrote:
stuarth, You did the couloir??? I hope there wasnt anyone sat near the bottom waiting for you Very Happy (I got the photos from Keith, did you?)
Keep us updated on the conditions please, i will be back in 6 weeks and 2 days.

Helen, dont panic, we will be fine. And hey, we can have a big snowheads meet up in the GLC one afternoon.

No, everyone cleared a path for me Madeye-Smiley
I didn't get the photo, did I give you my email address, if so can you send it (or were you planning publicly humiliate me and to post it for all to see!! snowHead )
ski holidays
Darn it, if i knew how to post it i would. shucks. Ok, will pm you for your e-mail.
ski holidays
Snowheads at the GLC... Count us in!

3 good off piste descents on Saturday, Flute bowl with a wind crust was interesting(?!) but two climbs with skins in the Garibaldi park (outside the ski area, in the next bowl over) revealed 10" of light untracked powder on a friendly slope of about 26 degs.

Having taken people walking in the alpine on Christmas day in Davos, (no snow at all, early 80's ) , having arrived in Verbier with a group to torential rain to the top of Mt Fort, Christmas NY late 80's, having left Zermat after arriving at the top of the Gornergrat railway to see a rock scree and bare earth in Feb, mid 80's, I have to say that Whistler has had better snow all this winter in the alpine (above the tree line) than those all this year. The alpine here is pretty extensive, the rain we had up there last month was very rare.

Having said that it is definitely not a 'one ski does everything' year like some, this year there have been some ' wow these Salomon 10 3V slalom skis really carve well on the boiler plate' days and ' hey I love these fat BC scratches in the crud and off piste' days. The bummer is when you make the wrong call and end up feeling like a limbo dancer on an ice rink... Very Happy Or a submarine in rough seas.....

The temperature is now down again and it is freezing on the valley floor, we had 18 cm snow on Thursday, so winter seems to be back on course.
snow report
Quote:

Snowheads at the GLC...

39 days and counting.......................
snow report
40 sleeps and counting................. snowHead
ski holidays
5 sleeps till 4 days at Whistler Smile
ski holidays
Doh, ponder, you beat us!

However, in 38 sleeps time i then get 3 whole weeks up in Whistler snowHead snowHead snowHead

OK, Acacia, colinmcc, stuarth, Helen Beaumont, and anyone else i have missed, we need to set a date for the first offical Snowheads meet up in the GLC. Lets start with 4 pm on Sunday 20 March. Does that suit people?

Then we can do Mon 21, Tues 22, Wed 23, Thur 24, ... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Robbie, you're now making me think about going to Whistler next month...
snow conditions
Come on, you know you want to.............
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, of course you want to!!
Robbie, sounds great, but we don't arrive until later in the evening (off BA flight). How about 21st?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
39 AND COUNTING........................................
snow conditions
Robbie,
Quote:

OK, Acacia, colinmcc, stuarth, Helen Beaumont, and anyone else i have missed, we need to set a date for the first offical Snowheads meet up in the GLC. Lets start with 4 pm on Sunday 20 March. Does that suit people?

Hold on, the last lift is at 4pm, give me time to get up that and down again and THEN I'll see you in the GLC.
snowHead
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Robbie, sounds great, but we don't arrive until later in the evening (off BA flight). How about 21st?

21st is that a Monday? (my days are now a blur!). If so probably Dave Murray Camping so I wont get there much before 5.30 - 6pm.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

21st is that a Monday? (my days are now a blur!). If so probably Dave Murray Camping so I wont get there much before 5.30 - 6pm.

Robbie wrote:
Doh, ponder, you beat us!

However, in 38 sleeps time i then get 3 whole weeks up in Whistler snowHead snowHead snowHead

Then we can do Mon 21, Tues 22, Wed 23, Thur 24, ... Toofy Grin

OK - yes it is Embarassed
Must have become tooused to ignoring Robbie wink
snow report
Grrrr, stuarth, you are going to be in so much trouble! Evil or Very Mad

Did you get the photo, BTW?

OK guys, Monday 21 March. 5.30pm onwards at the GLC, how does that sound?
snow conditions
Robbie, OK 21st, 5.30 onwards. I can soak in my hot-tub first then. Perhaps we should post this info on trips as well. I'll do it now.
ski holidays
This will be my first trip to Whistler, and considering the lack of great snow, I would love to hear any tips anyone has for these conditions. We're obviously going to stay high, but how about any good bowls or particular runs that tend to have good snow? I've heard something about Esprit? or Coultier? Thanks for your help!!

Keeping my fingers crossed.... Toofy Grin
latest report
Bad news people Sad ... I won't be able to make it to Whistler that week Sad . I've looked into it, but flights from Eagle to Vancouver are just too expensive. Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, you need to try harder. You can fly down to Denver from Eagle, or just take the bus like us mere mortals, and then get a flight to Van for less than $300! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
...and how long will that take to get from Colorado's powder to rain-soaked Whistler? snowHead
snow report
Crying or Very sad NO, there will be no more rain, i have decreed (sp) it so!
ski holidays
just got back from a week in arabba to hear the conditions in whistler in march could be similarly icy with little snow at the base.
Is everyone optimistically deluding themselves that the snow in whistler will be perfect in late march? I'd be interested to meet up (with Helen Beaumont - see other strings) to talk about her problems buying property abroad. France seems to be the popular destination but it may not be the best place if you dont like the french!!
Hopefully the discussion will be about the good late snowfall in whistler rather than flights to other resorts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy