Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel or Courchevel 1850.

Poster: A snowHead
Due to go skiing next week with a friend. He's german, lives in the UK and is a far better skier than me. He is a regular Mark Warner customer, and really likes the ski guiding that they do. We've decided on the 3Vs, and narrowed it down to either Meribel or Courchevel 1850. I've got friends who are staying in Courchevel that week, and so would prefer to be there, but it would end up costing almost £300 more than Meribel.

Would be interested to know what people think about the pros and cons of either resort.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When snow's on the thaw Courchevel is nearly always the better destination, because Meribel is a bit too sunny, but current conditions mean you'd be well placed in Meribel - and more centrally located in the network - so I'd probably go there (especially with that price advantage!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I had heard that Meribel is best avoided at either end of the season, but ok in the middle. What about the "hooray henry" element?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always had much better snow in Courchevel and you are more likely to find a french person there too Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel better skiing on the doorstep Meribel better access to the area. For me the deciding factor would be the money both places are seriously expensive and you will need all spare cash for food, booze, liftpass etc
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't the Mark Warner place actually at Mottaret? I think it is more or less the last building at the top of the hill. Not many French people there though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, they have a chalet there, and a chalet hotel as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the current good snow conditions, I would look at the location of the hotel/chalets. Some (most) of these in Meribel can be a fair distance from the lifts (and the centre) compared to the accommodation in Courchevel. Depends if you think this is worth the £300.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jtr, the chalet hotel in Meribel is ski in ski out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meribel might not be cheap, unless of course, U compare it with 1850!

Val-T has rather a lot of Dutch, Meribel a lot of Brits but I got the impression that all the best furs in Courchevel were wearing Russians this year, non?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer wrote:
jtr, the chalet hotel in Meribel is ski in ski out.

How close is it to the centre? Some of those that are up the steps from the Tourist Office are near the centre and ski in/out (as long as the path is open). I stayed at a (nearly) ski in/out a few years ago and it was a 20+ minute hike up hill after a night out in the centre.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure, I've never been to the 3Vs before. Spoke to my German friend last night, and because conditions are so good, we've decided that it's going to be early nights all week, to keep ourselves fresh for the skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, Meribel was a complete bvgger mid March last year - all the home runs were slushy and over-crowded by 11am. But it won't be a problem right now. Didn't notice more hooray henrys than at any other large Brit-popular resort. Chalet/hotel placement in Meribel is a huge priorty c.f rest of 3V resorts - most are an exhaustingly long walk to either nightlife or a slope, or both. Easy access to both snow and bars involves spending over the odds.

However despite having stayed in Meribel twice, I would definately reccomend Courchevel 1850. It's got better everything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In defence of Meribel: it has a swimming pool and an ice rink! Which Courchevel hasn't. Not that I've ever used either the pool or the rink (too busy skiing/boozing). Drink cheaper too, if you avoid the bars at the foot of the slopes.

Meribel full of Brits; Courchevel full of Russians; not sure which is worse!! If you are single go for Meribel, it is full of totty.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not single but that does seem to clinch the deal.
snow conditions
Hang on! What happened to "early nights all week" to keep fresh for the skiing???

Avoid Rond Point (€5.50 for toffee vodka!!) and get down the Pub for apres ski. Enjoy!
snow report
I don't see that early nights and totty need be mutually exclusive. wink
ski holidays
the ice perv wrote:
In defence of Meribel: it has a swimming pool and an ice rink! Which Courchevel hasn't.

Several of the hotels in Courchevel have swimming pools which are open to the public and there is an Olympic size ice rink right in the centre of 1850.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, I stand corrected!

As current snow conditions are good I would still go for Meribel tho, for the nightlife and easier 3Valleys access.
snow report
Quote:

early nights and totty
need not be mutually exclusive, but doesn't it take effort to leg it back to yours in the morning for your skis & a fresh pair of longjohns? Save your energy for the pistes. You know you want to. And which, by the way, are better in Courchevel. rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:
to leg it back to yours in the morning

Manda, you're assuming that I'm a gentleman and would stay the night. wink
latest report
I like 1850 village, and the Britishness of Meribel can be a bit of pain, but on skiing convenience and easier access everywhere, my vote would be Mottaret. You can be over into Courchevel, VT, Les Menuieres, very quickly, and pick your day according to weather and conditions. Catching the first runs off of Mont Vallon, whether it's groomers or freshies, is a major bonus too - my favourite place in the area.

the ice perv wrote:
Courchevel full of Russians; not sure which is worse!! If you are single go for Meribel, it is full of totty.....
My spam inbox is full of Russian ladies - they certainly sound available and very friendly Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
It's been decided for us, our Courchevel option has sold out.
latest report
Quote:

you're assuming that I'm a gentleman and would stay the night

Good answer!
latest report
Best part of Mottaret (except Mont Vallon which is superb in the mornings) is that you can get out of it quickly in either direction. Little Angel
snow report
Thanks for all the great advice guys, but we've actually decided to go to Zermatt due to circumstances outside my control.
snow conditions
Well Zermatt is fantastic and certainly more scenic!
snow conditions
[quote="the ice perv"]In defence of Meribel: it has a swimming pool and an ice rink! Which Courchevel hasn't. Not that I've ever used either the pool or the rink (too busy skiing/boozing).

Courchevel does have an ice rink, it's just not quite so obvious. It does lack a general swimming pool though, but the reasons they say are because pretty much every hotel has it's own private ones! It is possible to pay to use them though you will be paying through the nose! I think last heard it was about 20Euros for one but you did get sauna and the works like that aswell.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy