Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1950 - trip report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a superb week at the Prince Des Cimes in Arc 1950. The new resort is still evolving but the buildings already there are in a great location and the service was impeccable. Good room sizes with comfy beds and proper showers (oh and fluffy dressing gowns Very Happy ) were just a few of the highlights, which compared to some of the other SC places in France \ Italy could be considered pretty luxurious!

Couldn't have asked for better snow conditions - it didn't stop snowing for the first 3 days; the upper slopes in Les Arcs doubled in depth and the off-piste areas (which are massive) were covered in lovely deep powder. Slopes were uncrowded, well groomed and wide enough to accomodate the plentiful ski schools, dodgy snowboarders like me and those pesky skiers wink

Although I have to say that some of the runs in Les Arcs seem to be graded a bit lenient - we had blues that should have been reds, reds that should have been blues and blacks that should have been banned!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi zippy, did you get down to Arc 1800 at all? I was wondering what the blues down to Arcs 1800 were like. I've only done a week, so need some fairy easy runs to get to grips with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
m00958, Last Tuesday all blues around Arcs 1800 & 1650 and over towards Peisey Vallandry were fine. The nursery areas above 1800 were all in good condition too. The only problems were the bitterly cold weather. Many of the blues provide easy links between the parts of the resort - zig zagging across the more tricky pistes. If you can stand up and maybe whack in a snowplough to slow down for traffic you should be fine on these. The open areas above the tree line (weather permitting) will also suit you. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
m00958, the blues down to 1800 couldn't be any better - as kuwait_ian says they are very wide and very well groomed. The Belvedere runs diagonally from top left to bottom right (Comborciere to TransArc) and is a very gentle run. From the top of the TransArc there is a short red that is not very steep at all followed by a couple of blues that lead all the way to the bottom.

So have fun!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
m00958, the Paradiski area is full of easy blue runs, and rather overly-graded red runs - you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool Smile Thanks guys.

I'd been looking at the blues coming down from Transarc 1 for a good beginning spot. It's been two years since I last boarded, and I never got on with chairlifts. Need a gondola and some easy blues to get the confidence up Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
m00958, There are some new and very modern detachable chairlifts in Arc 1800, these travel very quickly up the hill, but come off the cable and travel VERY slowly whilst loading and unloading, great for kids and the less confident. You can pick an easy run back to 1800 from the top of all the chairs, some may be on narrowish pistes that as kuwait_ian says zig zag accross other pistes, but dont be put off as they are extremley gentle.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A word of warning though, some of the sections of the gentle zig-zag blues are very flat and you may end up walking if you're on a board.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I came back from skiing this w/e to find an Arc 1950 Intrawest brochure waiting for me, looking to flog the units in the final block of apartments (Erna Low are promoting it and I'm on their mailing list). There was a piece about it in the Observer on Sunday too.

Just out of idle curiosity I've sent off for the full Intrawest investment brochure with all the prices (yow Observer says £220K for a 1 bedroom Shocked ). Largely a pipe-dream though, barring a lottery win in the next month! Anyone care to speculate what the leaseback return might be after 5-10 years?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnnyrotten, the first full years rental figures (which will be payable to leaseback owners in the first two buildings) will be available in March of this year - until those figures are available, anything else is (as you say) speculation.

I would however question some of the figures in the Observer article - here you can see that the peak price this Feb for a one bed place is in fact 1764€ which (at 1.4) I make £1260 and that is for a one bed espace (larger) apartment - the smaller one bed clubs peak week in Feb is 1589€ (£1135) - look at the price for a one bed club for 8th to 22nd Jan weeks - 630€ so people should not get too carried away with those Feb rental figs.

Additionally, the 50% figure is incorrect for the first six buildings and as the last (for which the sale process will start shortly) will also be operated by the same operator (Radisson SAS) as buildings 5 and 6 I can't see it being any different. In fact the operator takes 60% in year one dropping to 55% from year three onwards.

Not sure I agree with the phrase "includes advertising, all service charges and the costs of running the resort" when in fact owners pay Arc 1950 resort club fees which at this years rates are at least 30 euros per sqm. I also wonder if the 3-4% figures speculated on are net of such charges?

It may not sound like it but I do in fact own a 1 bed espace place in Prince Des Cimes for which I paid 182500€ (net of VAT) so £220k for a one bed place in the last phase sounds great to me - in all honesty, I think it is likely to be cheaper than that but it varies massively according to the floor and view the apartment has. For example, my place looks over the street and was 182500€ - the apartment opposite me on the same floor but looking over the ski area is only 0.68 sqm bigger but cost 278900€ Shocked

In summary, being an owner, I obviously hope the resort is a success and despite some initial teething troubles I think it will be BUT, articles/adverts Question such as this do annoy me a little and potential buyers really need to look into all aspects and not just the dreams that Intrawest are so good at marketing.

For example, notice that it makes no mention that the leaseback deals on offer are for either 2 or 7 weeks usage, that you will be charged 75% of the list price for those weeks whether you actually go to the resort or not and in the case of the 7 week deal 2 of those weeks must be in the summer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bungle, interesting, thanks for the insider information. Smile

As I say, for me it's mainly idle speculation at the moment, but I'll be interested to do the maths on it for myself once I get the brochure. I confess that I do find myself succumbing to the Intrawest marketing glitz, they do make it all look wonderful. The leaseback conditions on owners use don't sound so attractive though I have to say. And I assume that what few apartments are left are going to be snapped up very quickly when they go on sale.

Hope you're enjoying the new apartment, have you been out yet this season?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnnyrotten, I was out there with Zippy (started this thread) and nine others 22nd to 29th Jan and had a great time - few minor snags to sort out with the apartment but generally, I was very pleased with it. The resort is definitely coming together and whilst short of restaurants right now, the addition of a bakers, supermarket and cash machine this year is very welcome.

We were blessed with a big dump of snow the week before we arrived and snow in the first few days we were there so conditions were great. Ironically enough after Zippy and I gave each other ulcers by worrying about the lack of snow and rocks and stones showing through in the weeks before we went, to cap it all, the 35cm of snow that fell on the Saturday night we arrived meant there was too much for my kids to ski on the Sunday!!

The official launch of the last phase is (I think) in London next week - they are starting to take expressions of interest with a refundable 1000 euro (£600) deposit that gets you onto the list and in time, a big fat book of all the apartments and their floor plans to be sold. As in the other phases, I fully expect the last phase to sell out on the day (usually in Paris and I think in June) - the earlier you register your form the higher up the list you will be, the earlier your appointment will be on the sale day and the better the choice of apartment you will (in theory) have.

When you get your info and if you do want to progress then send me a PM with any qs and I will do my best to answer them.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 17-08-05 23:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anyone got any Alka Seltzer? wink

As I said at the start of this thread, to be in a resort with all the creature comforts of a proper 4* hotel made the difference - last year for the same price we stayed in Kamp Stalag Luft IV in Passo Tonale which was, well, horrific to say the least....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to change the subject slightly, again Smile, what do you guys have to say about the standard of apartments in Arc 1800? We're staying at Les Tounavelles, and I can't find any info/pics on the internet. We've had to book "blind", which I feel uncomfortable about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy