Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in South America... advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone. I'm a 20 year-old student and am really keen to spend a season in S. America this summer- was wondering if anyone has any advice... I've done quite a lot of research, and it seems the resorts are generally much smaller than most European resorts. I will need to find a job (bar work, or something) out there to finance my everyday living, so somewhere with a good nightlife would be great. At the same time I would of course like a wide range of pistes and a high likelihood of good snow. Valle Nevado, in Chile has been recommended to me as it is only a short distance from Santiago and the nearby resorts of La Parva and El Colorado can also be accessed from there. Have any of you ever skied in any of these places? Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Loulabelle

I posted a load of info in the "Resorts" thread "Skiing in Chile"

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5089

Hope it helps

Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loulabelle, welcome to snowHeads you could try ww.epicski.com it's US forum and there appear to be a number of skiers there who've skied S. America. Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look at Stanton's advice on my thread which his link takes you to. Hopefully I'll be in Valle Nevado/ El Colorado/ La Parva in the first week in September. It couldbe the first South American Snowheads snowHead meet-up........a trully global ski club. BTW welcome! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info guys- I'll follow those leads and see what more I can find out. By the sounds of it though, there's not much going on in many of the actual resort towns... do you think it would be a bad idea to spend two months there?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A lot more people seem to head to New Zealand to do seasons during our summers. Queenstown has something of a reputation for being a fantastic and happening place to be. Santiago is only about 40kms from Valle Nevado so you aren't far from a pretty lively place if you wanted to head away from the mountains for a couple of days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loulabelle, welcome to snowHeads.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks... like the sound of it being so close to Santiago, but was kind of hoping to stay in a resort with a half-decent nightlife so I could work in a bar or something. Apart from of course looking for great skiing, one of my other plans for the summer was to brush up on my Spanish as have forgotten loads since starting uni (hence S. America). Must say, New Zealand does sound pretty tempting though. Oh, the decisions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its only 40KMs to Santiago , Yes. But, its a steep narrow hairpinned road up .It takes at least 1 hour to drive up thats not including if you have to fit chains. There are chain gangs there to do that for you .
BTW Dont leave it any later than September for South American skiing .
New Zealand . Queentown is a tacky tourist town in a beautiful area. I cant understand how the Kiwis allowded the place to develop like it has. I was there in 1990 so god knows what it is like now . THe skiing is not that great unless you go Heli Sking. The Remarkables are just Un-Remarkable. Coroonet & Cardrona are small . Treble Cone is quite good especially the scenery. The best place I skied on the Southern Island was Mount Hutt which is nearby Christchurch.

The reason why people go to work in NZ is you get paid , English is the lingo . Basically its "easy" theres no challenge or culture shock. Whereas in SA they got real cheap labour already in Chile & Argy . If you can undercut the locals & want to work for less than $5 a day and can speak Spanish then you may be able to work.

ONe other thing about SA . Although English is spoken more widely in the resorts dont take it for granted, Its not Majorca or Tennerife.
A brush up on your Spanish will help you alot even Portuguese as you get alot of Brazillians sking there as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy