Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Off for a couple of days, back Tuesday night. Anyone familiar with the resort? Restaurant recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless you like staying inside the resort which often let the rooms out on a weekly term I would find it easier to book the days I want in Internet with the Ibis Hotel in Sallache. It is about 10 to 15 minutes up to Les Caroz. There are a few car parks between Les caroz and Flaine that you can stop the car and hoop into a chairlift.

Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz are not that far away from Sallache either and are accessible by the same junction to Cluses off the motorway. For Flaine you turn right toward the Chamonix direction. For Les Gets you turn left and go through Cluses town centre. The road to Les Gets is the same road to go to Morillon forming part of the Grand Massif circuit of Flaine.

Flaine can be crowded at times especially at the links between the satellite resorts. If you haven't tried it then you have to visit it at least once but for my money I would go to Les Arcs every time.

Can't adivise on restaurant as I always eat the the Centre Commercial at Sallache and get shopping done at the same time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Managed to get a cheap(ish) three night let of a studio. No choice about where to ski, we're there for some races at the slalom stadium which I suppose finishes somewhere in the resort proper. Won't have time to tour the area on this occasion...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, the Perdrix Noir was good when we were ther, but it's a long time ago now. Also the chalet at the far end of the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
perdrix noir was recommended when we went. Despite that, we had a lovely meal in a pizza place in the main "forum" square, can't remember the name of it nut i's a couple of doors down from the tourist office. Pizzas were excellent, Mrs NBT had a pierre chaud that was superb.

On the mountain, Le Blanchot on the right coming down from the DMC to flaine (run called belzébuth or something?) was excellent, superb salad, nice soup, not bad prices for a french mountain restaurant
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:
Unless you like staying inside the resort which often let the rooms out on a weekly term I would find it easier to book the days I want in Internet with the Ibis Hotel in Sallache. It is about 10 to 15 minutes up to Les Caroz.

yeah right, in a helicopter maybe or a dream Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont wrote:
PG, the Perdrix Noir was good when we were ther, but it's a long time ago now. Also the chalet at the far end of the nursery slopes.

If you mean the Bissac then it's burnt down Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise, show you how long since I was there then dunnit!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, hardly, it was only in the last couple of months. I'm sure it was intact when we were there in the summer, then sometime around Xmas I was intending to drop in for a coffee and it was burnt down. I'd guess it occurred between July and December.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't see a whole lot of the place over the three days we were there, but wasn't overly impressed. The free lift between Flaine Forum and Forêt kept breaking down so I had to drive back and forth - woe betide you if you go over the 90 min parking maximum inside the 'villages' - 7 euros 50 excess charge each time, and I racked up a few. Ugly buildings as per its reputation, but doesn't come close to rivalling Stalag Superdévoluy in the southern Alps.

My apartment in the Andromède - 166 euros for 3 days - was dirty with bins unemptied, a big leak under the bath somewhere, a cooker that didn't work... all somewhat in tune with the rather shabby building itself. Still we were only there to race and sleep, and I can see the appeal of the resort in terms of convenience skiing.

Unable to explore any of it though - sunny weather on the Monday, then lots of snow from early hours Tuesday, a good 25cms by the time we left in the evening. And there was I marooned halfway up the slalom stadium, having to dig out my skis now and again to make sure I didn't lose them, doing gatekeeping duties for the best part of the day Sad

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-02-05 13:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, the joys of fatherhood. Laughing How did Hannah and the team do ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kuwait_ian, oh well, at least the race technical director was a mate - and each time he passed by, a flask with some very tasty Genepi "fait maison" appeared... though I'm not sure what it did for the accuracy of my gatekeeping duties over a very tricky slalom combination!

The 'Francophile' team did great - the youngest Brit team there (12/13 yrs old) they came second of the fifty teams in the overall competition to a team of juniors (17/18 yrs), picking up 3rd, 7th and 9th of 150 girls in the individual GS results and doing well in the slalom. They put the juniors out of the knockout team parallel slalom, getting through to the final where they lost by a hair's breadth (a rather controversial result, but I'll say no more!). Hannah really enjoyed it - she won her individual category in slalom, GS and combined - the wins meaning much more when she saw "Chimene Allcott" name on the plaques of each cup as a former winner! Prizegiving by a very pregnant-looking Emma Carrick Anderson. Great fun, very well organised.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG, Terrific - glad to hear it. Give the little lady my regards and compliments on a great result. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, congratulations to her!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good result - but I'm not surprised by how well she did after seeing her performance against the best skiers from the Savoie schools!
snow report
PG,

From the tone you described Flaine's accommodation would this means you might give some thought to upgrade the charges of your flats in Bourg?

I hope we can still hang on to the bargains you are providing the snowheads. When my wife and stayed in the peak season two weeks in Christmas/New year in your 26 sq.m. studio flat the cost was only 30 Euro per day for both of us. Thus there is some way to go yet before you lose the competitiveness.
ski holidays
Rate rises will remain "index linked" for the time being!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy