Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

are you fit enough?

Poster: A snowHead
it is a much ignored fact that optimum fitness / diet is vital in the search to improve / maintain your level of skiing.....the stronger you are the better you will ski....period....it also makes sense to me that if a 6 day pass in yurp costs you say £200 / $500 in the US, you may as well get fit and get your monies worth...after trying the fitness regime the actors in the film "300" followed (google gym jones), i soon stumbled upon the american fitness phenomenum which is "crossfit," which converted me to the exercises / diet they recommend (the paleo diet)....over the past 2 years or so, my skiing has gone on to another level and i reckon i can ski up to 25% more than i could pre crossfit / paleo (i ski powder/back country).....what fitness / diet regimes do you guys follow / recommend?

okbye

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 4-05-09 14:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope, I'm not very fit and never will be. But that doesn't stop me enjoying my annual week-long skiing holiday. I know my limits and I stick to them. I guess it depends what people want from their skiing.

I'm not a total couch potato, but my job is very sedentary and doesn't leave me much time for anything full on. I go swimming once a week, do pilates either at home or by going to a class, play badminton a couple of times a month and usually have a weekly long walk and/or cycle ride. In light of my health issues I guess this isn't bad, but it's probably not good. I'm not a gym or aerobics person but I'm always open to new suggestions that don't cost too much and that I can fit into my 50 hour working week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowpatrol, get rid of 'okbye' and I will reply to your posts. Mind you, if you don't, it looks as though others will respond to you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, am I missing something here?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, nope. I just fond 'okbye' on every post irritating, and therefore, bye and large, I mentally block out snowpatrol's posts. I have no hang-ups about others not feeling the same as me. Looking back, I can see that my post could be read as though I did mind - but that was not intended.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my fitness is very important to me, that's why I just worked off my mega hangover in a body combat class! Laughing Laughing

achilles, I also find the
Quote:

okbye

a pain in the ar$e, wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowpatrol,
Quote:

the stronger you are the better you will ski

Shocked I'm 'unfit' and ski quite well enough for my own needs thank you.
However if you want to believe all this Yanky 'american fitness phenomenum' then it's entirely a personal thing. G plan F plan GI plan High carb low carb Jane Fonda. Makes one wonder just how daft the Yankies are doesn't it!
snowpatrol, did you know if you say $500 slowly enough it sounds like gullible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd think fitness is a much bigger factor in backcountry skiing for the climbs - A lot of the ISTD types I've met aren't exactly super fit and trim (though not to say they're porkers), but you can get away with a lot more when gravity assists Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowpatrol, has your account been hacked?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buckers, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowpatrol,

Is this what you are talking about ?
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes

No

Maybe

Who cares

One of these is true
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles,you dont like "okbye?" Laughing tough $h!t...HH, Laughing tough $h!t to you too...Boredsurfing,..you highlighted my quote "the stronger you are the better you will ski"....are you seriously trying to say this is not true? i would love to hear your argument against that fact...also, you try getting a 6 day pass for aspen / snowmass or vail / breck / copper mountain over xmas and new year for less than $500.. DB, you got it (although the f@t guy in the pic isnt the best advertisement for crossfit, i think the fact that he is puking into a bucket gets the message across as to what crossfit is about)...........

okbye
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'd think fitness is a much bigger factor in backcountry skiing for the climbs

Exactly! Downhill skiing using lifts requires only modrate fitness. People who blame their ski problems on lack of fitness are probably kidding themselves...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

you highlighted my quote "the stronger you are the better you will ski"....are you seriously trying to say this is not true?

Blatantly not true. I know plenty of skiers who are stronger than me but ski like muppets in comparison, and any half decent skier could say the same.

Quote:

i think the fact that he is puking into a bucket gets the message across as to what crossfit is about

It gives you food poisoning? Shocked
latest report
Plake, bc skiing does require much greater levels of fitness... but are you saying being fit wont enable you to ski more runs before fatigue kicks in?...even if you stick to the pistes?

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol, I see that you are a Chelsea supporter.........why does that make me smile, anyway you are in good company, plenty of other Chelsea suporters on here.
snow conditions
achilles, i just read your opening post again......bwahahahahahaha bwahahahahahaha........."get rid of okbye and i will reply to your posts"........jeeeez i guess i'd better drop it then or i wont get to Be Nice please! sleep tonight.................

okbye
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, i'm glad you smiled, i'm sure its a pretty sight.....with ref to your first and my last post, are you saying that being strong will not help you ski better?.......

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol, Laughing ah, you were doing so well... Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, you are missing the point completely.........i am saying IF... YOU ...GET... FIT... YOU... WILL... BE... ABLE... TO ...SKI... BETTER... AND ...FOR ...LONGER......DO... YOU... UNDERSTAND????????......

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol, I'd heard that "crossfit" makes you prone to angry and abusive outburst, is this true? Laughing wink
snow report
HH, no it Be Nice please! doesnt where the Be Nice please! did you hear that poo-poo for Be Nice please! sake........... wink

okbye

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 4-05-09 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowpatrol, my, you're such a moron.

1. That was not your original contention.
2. Merely becoming stronger will not necessarily improve your skiing, though it may mean you can continue skiing badly for longer periods of time.

Is that comprehensible enough for you or do you need it in smaller words?
snow conditions
Ooh I thought this was a fitness thread but it turns out to be about fishing - and all the best bites have been had I see Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard,smaller words please......

okbye
ski holidays
LOUD NOISES
ski holidays
snowpatrol wrote:
Lizzard, you are missing the point completely.........i am saying IF... YOU ...GET... FIT... YOU... WILL... BE... ABLE... TO ...SKI... BETTER... AND ...FOR ...LONGER......DO... YOU... UNDERSTAND????????......
okbye

Snowpatrol your original posting was clear enough to everyone else. Surely you've realised, there's a small number of forum posters that take great pleasure in mis-understanding or taking posted comments out of context. They must like to hear the ping of replies being notified....
It does take the fun out of the forum when things are taken so seriously.
okbye.... Shocked ........ wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooowwww, snowpatrol, you have a friend Very Happy
snow conditions
mikes21,thanks for the heads up..i thought everyone was serious..i just cant get the hang of this...will you stick around and keep me right?..........

okbye
ski holidays
buckers wrote:
snowpatrol, has your account been hacked?

Gotta be honest I was expecting to open the thread and see "All fat birds & mingers should be banned from the slopes, the exclusion zone extending..........................."

John.
ski holidays
BCjohnny,and so they should..........

okbye
ski holidays
snowpatrol, That's ok then, I thought you were coming over all religious.................. wink

John.
latest report
snowpatrol wrote:
it is a much ignored fact that optimum fitness / diet is vital in the search to improve / maintain your level of skiing.....the stronger you are the better you will ski....period....it also makes sense to me that if a 6 day pass in yurp costs you say £200 / $500 in the US, you may as well get fit and get your monies worth...after trying the fitness regime the actors in the film "300" followed (google gym jones), i soon stumbled upon the american fitness phenomenum which is "crossfit," which converted me to the exercises / diet they recommend (the paleo diet)....over the past 2 years or so, my skiing has gone on to another level and i reckon i can ski up to 25% more than i could pre crossfit / paleo (i ski powder/back country).....what fitness / diet regimes do you guys follow / recommend?

okbye

I agree that improving your fitness improves your skiing because technique tends to go to poo-poo once you're knackered. Obviously if you don't have good technique in the first place then being fitter isn't going to help much. But whatever skill level you have, good fitness will help you ski to the best of your ability longer.

My fitness regime is fairly basic. I try not to eat too much cr@p and do a fair bit of hardcore mountain biking every week. I've also recently invested in a Skier's Edge ski simulator to target the specific skiing muscle groups. That made a big difference this season, as my legs felt strong right from day 1, with none of the usual aches and pains.
ski holidays
snowpa-troll, you might find this more useful in life than your fitness regime: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Uncyclopedia:How_To_Be_Funny_And_Not_Just_Stupid

okpie
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Laughing
snow report
uktrailmonster, anything to get a few more turns in....i've seen the simulator advertised but not come across it...it seems to make sense as it hits the working muscles directly related to skiing.................Bode Swiller, thanx for your interest.....i never thought you cared........

okbye
snow report
snowpatrol, OH/ph has the skiers edge. Taking up loads of room in our bedroom. It's your for a fiver. Pick up only.
latest report
HH, more entertaining forms of exercise available in the bedroom, I would have thought. Laughing
snow report
HH, was that a knock at your door? Never dare a fool...... especially where there's a bargain Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy