Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info please la Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
I shall be in La Rosiere with my Son for half term week - 13th Feb to 20th Feb. Using Ski Olympic and staying at Chalet Oliver.

Firstly will we need photos for a six day pass?

More importantly where shoud we head for a good lunch? Also are there any bars is la Ros that have pool tables that are quiet early evening ( 5 to 7 ish ) that we may be able to rip the cloth off?

TIA for any information and comments.

CP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having a chalet and having spent a lot of time out there David@TRAX knows his stuff on the area. Drop him a PM or look at his website and give him a call........stick him on friends and family though first as it could take a while Laughing NehNeh Blush
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CP, Yes to photo, although passport will do.

Excellent choice of Restaurants - La Traversette by the Fort chairlift (marked on piste map) is one of my favourites - nice terrace, stuning views, South facing and good food. In the village, there's Le Petit Relais which you can ski to (it's at the top end of La Ros. In the same area is Le Relais du Petit St Bernard, which is also good.

If you get over to Italy, David's definitely your man, but I do recall him recommending Le Rascard.

Can't think that many bars will be too quiet at half term in the apres-ski hours to be honest.

Have a great time, La Rosiere is a terrific resort - great atmosphere and loads of charm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CP, Where to start? There are so many good places in and around La Rosiere. Firstly, you're in a great location, super chalet, brand new last year and right next to the Centre Commercial in the middle of the village. It's only about 200 metres to the main lifts but if you're feeling lazy the shuttle bus stops outside.

As Mark Hunter as said, Le Petit Relais is a good place for lunch in the village, also good for early apres ski, right by the slopes and you can ski to there. Always a good plat de jour, tartiflette or pizza available at about 10 Euros, with happy hour from 4 -5pm. Next door to Le Petit Relais is Willy's bar, the best little bar in the village, also a good lunch stop, sunny terrace or you can join the ski instructors inside, I've never yet seen an instructor eat lunch outside. Willy's is a great place to go after the Monday evening torchlight descent and ski spectacular, not to be missed!
Up on the slopes La Traversette is just as Mark says, while down in Les Eucherts, alongside Le Petit Bois piste is L'Ancolie, also with a sunny south facing terrace. It's one of the best restuarants in the village and well worth the journey for your night out.
For pool, try Le Pub in the Centre Commercial, opens about 5pm and goes right through until 4AM, they often have live bands there, there's a terrific Rolling Stones tribute band that does the rounds of the Tarentaise, if they're playing in La Ros do make an effort to see them. John, the owner of Le Pub is a really nice guy, he also owns La Turia, which is probably the best restaurant in the village, not cheap but well worth the cost, especially if you'd like to try Lebanese cuisine. Also in the Centre Commercial is Le Petit Danois, where they also have live bands from time to time. If karaoke is your thing then Arpin's bar is the place to be, very crowded and a good atmosphere but sh!te beer. One of our favourite bars is Bruno's aka Barclays piano bar, very different from your run of the mill ski resort bars and worth a visit.
Le Roc Noir is the place where most seasonaires, ski instructors and locals gather early evening, it's also run by Ski Olympic so you're bound to be pressed into their quiz night, always a good evening, with the chance to win a giraffe.
Another of our favourite restaurants in La Rosiere is Le Chalet in the Vieux Village, run by Tony and Tatti who also own le Petit Relais and La Traversette. Not too far to walk from the centre and great value for your night out.
Going over to Italy, you'll find some of the best mountain restaurants and bars I know. You have to visit the Roxi at the bottom of the Fourclaz chair for fantastic hot chocolates in the AM and Bombardinos in the afternoon, be careful though you might have difficulty getting home after too many. Leaving the Roxi and going down pista 7 to La Thuile you'll come to Lo Reindet, terrific pasta and if it's sunny, you'll see lots of Italians sun-bathing in deckchairs. Further along pista 7, almost in La Thuile you'll find Le Rascard, but only with a guide, there's an interesting little bit of off-piste to negotiate. Well worth the trip, as Fabio serves marvellous food and makes everyone very welcome. If you go out with the Ski Olympic hosts they'll take you to all these places, we always bump into them in the same locations.
I'm sure you'll have a great time, La Rosiere is a super village, very friendly and welcoming, with some terrific skiing and not at all like the mega ski-stations nearby. You may want to print this out and take it with you as an aide memeroie, if you want any more info you can PM me. Have good holiday and do let me know what you think of La Ros.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 29-01-05 20:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow, thanks David, less than 24 hours to go now. we've been to Ros 3 times before yet loads of new info. Just shows what you miss when you're tied to kids meals, chalet meals etc! Mind you Le petit relais definitely the most convenient if you really MUST come down and miss La Traversette! Didn't go too well for us at La Turia last year ( left without eating) but may have been teething troubles. Might be worth another try next Thursday!! Anyway, Ros will work its magic as usual.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
helenjane, if you want me to call John, please PM me, I'll make a reservation for you in our name & explain that you were disappointed last year. John is a really nice guy and I know he'd be upset to hear that you didn't mange to eat. It is a terrific restaurant, we had a meal there at Christmas that was one of the best I've eaten in any ski resort. I can recommend the Menu Gastronomique. You're definitely going at the right time, masses of snow and very cold at the moment with more snow forecast from Weds onwards.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David - we've 4 other families to consult so we'll probably decide later, but thanks very much for the offer. Really looking forward to our week, came "last week" last year and got completely fogged and snowed out, so looking forward to some sunshine!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax, Thanks for the recommendations, as I was reading it I was thinking 'print and take with you'. I will be with my Son who is 9 but a very competent skier, that's why I was asking about early quiet bars with pool tables.

When we were in Villaroger before Christmas the guys at Optimum were very complimenatry about La Rosiere, we hope to be meeting up with them, in La Ros, on their 'day off'.

Cheers

CP
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP, you'll often see lots of instructors from other resorts in La Rosiere, frequently it's to take clients over to Italy, I know the Optimum guys go there because we've met them at Lo Reindet before. The one thing I missed out was the heli-skiing from Petit San Bernard, Ski Olympic can arrange this for you.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-02-05 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David@traxvax, Just wondering if there is a regular bus service to/from BSM for La Rosiere?

CP
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CP, another David.

Autocars Martin run up to La Ros from Bourg daily. Get the timetable from http://www.altibus.com

DJ
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DJ, Thanks for the link.

CP
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CP
Funny, you are always looking at resorts with good bars, don't corrupt Sam just yet or are you trying to slow him down. Mind you he's probably better than you at skiing and pool by now.
Brooksie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a great weeks skiing in La Rosiere ( and La Thuile ).

Thanks to all who gave us advice on where to ski, eat , play etc.

Monday brought poor conditions in terms of visibility and weather but we managed to ski all day even though many lifts were closed. Stuck at lower elevations especially around The Ecudets chair and Sevoliere drag lift where the visibility was better in the trees. Snow was fantastic, but we only stuck to marked pisted areas.

Tuesday gave us better visibility, although it did snow for most of the day, the sun teased a few times but never quite made it out fully. Mainly skied same areas as Monday but now we could see and found some great on piste off piste. The black Ecudets run was fantastic first thing, we almost first tracked it. Spent some time around the fort lift, which had not been open on Monday. Most pistes had not been bashed and it was great fun.

Wednesday was even better with high cloud and almost perfect visibility. We skied the Eteriou black which had powder over knee deep on it. Headed on over to the Fort lift via some more great on piste off piste. SP was firmly attached to the back of Harry, the Ski Olympic’s Ski Host, skis by now. Noted that the piste bashers had been very hard at work over night and most runs, except some blacks, were like corduroy.

Headed off up the Bellecombe drag to La Thuile. Amazed at scenery, Mt. Blanc ( or should I say Monte Bianco ) dominates the view. Much less snow seemed to have fallen but it was still in very good nick. The red and black runs accessed from the Piccolo San Bernardo Express and Fourclaz chairs especially good. Hot chocolate in the bar by the Piccolo San Bernardo Express was like a chocolate fondue.

I can’t remember which route we took but we ended up going into a much less snowy La Thuile down an icy black run, called 2 I think. Lunched at the Rascard, which was full of Ski Olympic guests but never the less very good food and service. The Rascard is definitely the best lunch spot we found for quality, price and service. As David mentioned you do need a guide to get you through the final 200m of gardens and drive ways.

Thursday was a sparkling sunny day although still very cold, Ski Hosts day off, but we skied with some other guests and met some friends of theirs who were staying in La Thuile. Much time spent again on the reds and blacks in the pass area and pistes served by the Chaz Dura chair in La Thuile. Had lunch at a restaurant at the base of the Belvedere lift. Amazingly disorganised affair it was to as you had to order and pay for you food then take a ticket to another counter, only to find out he had sold out of what I had ordered. Views from the top of this old, slow 2 man chair are just spectacular. In addition to Mt Blanc the Matterhorn is also very visible.

Friday weather was the same as Thursday and we were back being ‘hosted’ by Harry. Skied most areas again but much more emphasis on sticking to the wonderful piste conditions which were made for carving and speed. Lunched outside at La Traversette, which was pretty efficient considering how busy it was. I found it expensive in comparison to the Italian side though.

Saturday started okay but the weather closed in but not before we found ourselves back in the Rascard for lunch again. It was much quieter and again the food and service was superb. I would love to go there for an evening meal some time in the future.

Most afternoons we finished up in Willy’s bar for a couple of beers, or in SP’s case a couple of crepes.

For half term week the lift queues were not at all bad. The French side was very quite early week when the weather was inclement. However the first sight of the sun on Wednesday brought the fair weather skiers out like flies. No queues at all in Italy but coming back home in the late afternoons saw quite big queues at the Petit Bois and Eucherts Express chair lifts.

Snow conditions were noticeably much better in La Rosiere, and in the pass area. La Thuile had not had the dump of snow that we had. Even so I would accept the conditions they did have in Italy any time, I have seen and been on much worse.

La Rosiere has a nice atmosphere about it and is very friendly, something that is sorely lacking in the other large ski areas in this area of France. However I do wish they would get some of that large gritty stuff on the roads and pathways as walking around the town, especially in ski boots, was like being on a skating rink.

As for Ski Olympic, well they were not at all bad. Staff very friendly and our Ski Host was definitely the best we have had from a tour company. He had no problem with taking SP ( age 9 ) and I into the ‘fast’ group. Other TO’s ski hosts we have been with will not have children under 12 in hosted groups, irrespective of ability.

Overall this was a fantastic holiday and I did not get any major grief from my medial ligament injury sustained the week before Christmas.

We will be back, but may stay in La Thuile next time to keep the cost down.

CP snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 21-02-05 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, How was the chalet, access to slopes etc as its one i have fancied going to.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, A good 10 minute slog uphill in ski boots carrying two pairs of skis finished off with two flights of metal stairs or a double uphill rubber matted ramp. Not good!!

However free buses run very regularly from the garage 100 mtrs down the hill, we never managed to get one back - too much time in Willy's no doubt.

The Roc Noir is much better located only a 200mtrs or so from the stairs/ramps.

I can PM you a personal view of the Chalet Oliver, not all negative I might add, as it should not be publicly aired.

CP
snow report
I'd appreciate a copy please CP, we'll get a view off our friends when they get back but it woul dbe nice to hear freom someone independent

cheers

NBT
snow conditions
CP, Welcome back, glad you had a good time and your knee held up ok. I am off with the kids on Saturday to Italy but from what I read of your trip to La Rosiere I would be interestesd to find out more. Can you PM me with the Chalet details and some info on the tour company. Sounds like a good place for next season.
Brooksie
snow conditions
Brooksie, I think you and the snots would like La Ros, you would probably be better off in the Roc Noir as it has a bar Madeye-Smiley

CP
snow report
CP, What are you trying to say
Puzzled
Brooksie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy