Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"First journalist to ski" Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead ... files his copy

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith wrote:
What it doesn't need is rotten vegetation being chucked around unfairly by anonymous children.

Practise what you preach and leave the thread then! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Not everything a journalist writes can be taken at face value.

David Goldsmith in 2006 wrote:
Seriously and sadly though, this is my final posting to snowHeads - I'm calling it a day, after 3 happy years.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EMA is south of Derby therefore MK must be either South Midlands or North Southlands.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know which itv station mk gets-i'd of thought that would be fair indicator-either that or just look at a map of the uk rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm confused is this a skiing or geography thread ? Puzzled Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just out of interest... was "first journalist to ski" it wearing a helmet?

Hemel Hempstead of course is famous for those enormous petrol storage tanks and that even more enormous explosion. This is the behaviour of a heavy duty industrial northern township. Technically, being beyond the M25, it is in the north but us southerners may frequent the place and patronise the natives once in a while.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:

Helmets are available for use on the slope, free of charge. Also, the only helmet sanitiser in the UK is located at Hemel (cue: Frankie Howerd titter...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the only helmet sanitiser in the UK
sometimes there aren't enough smileys
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

the only helmet sanitiser in the UK
sometimes there aren't enough smileys

Laughing Will you be joining the assembled snowHeads when they descend on the slope in June? Maybe you could persuade Chemmy to join us, as I remember you having dinner with her at some point...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what a great thread... Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
i am wondering if the claim "Up to 150 skiers at any time will weave down Hertfordshire's premier piste." includes the beginners area....

150 is Main slope, plus 100 on Nursery slope.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's another plug for MK
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, well, as it happens I have an appointment with the aforementioned young lady quite soon and I will certainly ask the question inbetween bouts of oggling of course. As for joining other snowHeads I'll have to ask my advisors and medical team to guage whether or not this would be wise. After all, it involves going beyond the north circular and I expect to get mugged in a kind of northern way and there may be some weirdos to contend with. Hey, you never know.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I'm sure you can sell her the idea of joining us. She'd be delighted to meet her many fans, and you can rest assured that Hemel is a delightful place with no hoodys or muggers anywhere to be seen. If she can't make the event in June get a date from her and we'll arrange something which works...

And if she needs a lift to Twickenham I can do that as it's on my way home Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, you old smoothy
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Smile
snow report
achilles wrote:
Hmm. Not everything a journalist writes can be taken at face value.

David Goldsmith in 2006 wrote:
Seriously and sadly though, this is my final posting to snowHeads - I'm calling it a day, after 3 happy years.

So? Suddenly I heard the voice of Frank Sinatra.
snow conditions
rob@rar, does that mean I can get a lift from Richmond too or is there not room enough for me alongside you and Chem? Smile
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:

yes Smile
ski holidays
Tonight's Evening Standard has the story, with a big colour photo of the inside of the Snow Centre and its Tyrolean muriels, sorry, murals.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I think the Otztal have paid a rather large sum for those muriels. I suspect it'll pay off; proximity to London means that every magazine shoot requiring snow will go there and breakfast TV will virtually camp out there when anything of a snowy nature is required.

awol, was it sanitised to his satisfaction?
snow report
It's funny (or strange). I don't normally buy the Standard, but I was passing through Euston station late last night and there was a vendor selling it for 10p (cover price 50p).

I'm always willing to buy a newspaper at 80% discount, so the deal was struck. And there, on p.13, was the splendid photo of the helmeted Jonathan Prynn on the slope (not an action shot, unfortunately) with his skis on.

The question is: how did a low-circulation paper (under 300,000, including freebies and discounted copies) get the story?

I've a pathetic theory: that the new owner of the Standard - "Russian businessman and former KGB agent Alexander Lebedev" [Wikipedia] - may have a huge interest in skiing. More from Wikipedia:

Quote:
In March 2009 Lebedev announced that he would be running for mayor of Sochi, the city that will host the 2014 Olympics, but a court ruling declared his candidacy invalid on April 13th 2009.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Jonathan Prynn is a KGB sub-agent (that would be a ludicrous hypothesis) but given all these supposed facts you begin to ask questions as to how this stunning journalistic scoop was obtained. Did he enter the building by normal means?

[NB - check out Wikipedia for more fascinating claims about Lebedev. I wonder if he has a chalet with heli-pad in Courchevel?]
ski holidays
SnowboardClubUK has some photos of rails and boxes under construction at the Snow Centre:

Posted on 26 April:
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-8094.html

Update on 28 April:
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-8099.html

[A retro road sign on the last photo!]
snow report
Quote:

The question is: how did a low-circulation paper (under 300,000, including freebies and discounted copies) get the story?

maybe none of the other papers thought a small snowdome opening outside the ski season was particularly newsworthy wink
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
this stunning journalistic scoop

Come off it...what planet are you on? Snowdome opens soon, opening date widely known, hack gets along to some preview. Could well be a pleasant diversion from covering cats up trees and minor misdemeanours at the local magistrates court - but it's not Watergate is it? Nice it got some coverage, but it nothing like a stunning scoop or incisive journalism.

Get over yourself!
snow report
Well, the editor of the Standard clearly didn't agree with you - he gave the photo half a page and the whole story 80% of the page.

Better than being on Planet Cynical.

It's a state-of-the-art £23 million snow building, opening in troubled economic times, and it's a notable scoop to get the first writer in there. Readers want stuff they haven't seen before. Londoners haven't had a snowdome that could be called 'reasonably local'.

Your comments, GrahamN, are absurd.
ski holidays
Atomic_Mick, Six miles from MK we get Anglia Puzzled
latest report
What scoop? Advertorial at best. If he'd crept in under cover of darkness and exposed the fact that snow was being made from the tears of beaten immigrant and the pomas suspended with illegal harvested polar bear intestine children may have been worthy of the name.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You clearly don't know what the words "scoop" or "advertorial" mean ... or you're yet another anonymous sniper who essentially doesn't care because you can't be held accountable.

Before typing and triping, consider that a named person turned out the story, it was informative and objective, it was a 'first', and if you'd written it under your own name you'd probably be proud of the effort.

Accusing him of writing advertorial ("at best") is implying that an advertiser paid directly for his words under a contractual arrangement.

Give us the evidence of that, or quote what you suspect is the evidence, or maybe withdraw the accusation. It's the honourable thing to do.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 30-04-09 7:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
fatbob wrote:
What scoop?

The scoop of being the first journalist to write first hand about skiing there.

Quote:

Advertorial at best.

Advertorial is copy which is paid for (directly or indirectly) by the organisation being written about. Are you saying Hemel paid him for the article?

It may be a little sycophantic, but that isn;t the same thing.

Quote:

If he'd crept in under cover of darkness and exposed the fact that snow was being made from the tears of beaten immigrant and the pomas suspended with illegal harvested polar bear intestine children may have been worthy of the name.

"Scoop" has nothing to do with the quality of the story. It only refers to being first with the story.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
I've a pathetic theory: that the new owner of the Standard - "Russian businessman and former KGB agent Alexander Lebedev" [Wikipedia] - may have a huge interest in skiing

bet ya it has more to this with this piece . Maybe Hemel has a clued up PR - and ES readership surely would be perfect audience

btw, Standard seems to be cutting price to 10p about 9pm at main stations. They've also restet a 3rd edition.
latest report
Atomic_Mick, Anglia TV. I know it gets a little confusing! They get the Western area local news and if they are lucky get the northern version of BBC South.

Many people in Milton Keynes seem to have their roots in London, so generally feel a little more Southern than Midland. Although there is no doubt that Hemel is more Southern than MK and although it has some impressive roundabouts cannot compete with MK.

I have no idea why any of this matters and am now waffling. However this seems to go well with this thread................
ski holidays
Here's a little news item on the Snow Centre from ESPN (forgotten what ESPN stands for). It appeared on 13 April:

http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/blog?post=4065509

Note the use of the phrase "indoor shredding" in the sub-title. Indeed - it doesn't just go in in dodgy accounts departments. Everybody seems to be selling shredding machines these days.

Also, there's a sweet comment from "surface whore" underneath the piece:

Quote:
I want a snowdome.

Well you can't bloody have one.
latest report
Quote:
Snow Centre claim that it is the closest to the real thing yet seen in Britain

rolling eyes
snow conditions
One of the better deals at Hemel is obtainable by joining SCUK (from £15), which gets you 55% off membership, according to SCUK's site:

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-8076.html [right-hand column]

Membership benefits at the Snow Centre are detailed here: http://www.thesnowcentre.com/memberships

Membership is £100 for an individual, or £272 for a family, so this represents a substantial net saving.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, now that is newsworthy!!
snow report
Snowboarding news from the Snow Centre: a photographer for SCUK has captured what's claimed to be "the first jump" [not mega] and a slide down the "SCUK box" [an ugly beast!]:

http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/news-8105.html

Those shots were posted last Wednesday. And according to that report the "first official freestyle night is scheduled for Friday 15th May".
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Those shots were posted last Wednesday. And according to that report the "first official freestyle night is scheduled for Friday 15th May".

The on slope photos were taken on Thursday, same day as the photos that Spyderman and I posted.
ski holidays
Did you see Dunx get in a Tardis on Thursday? The SCUK thread says:
Quote:
Posted Wednesday 29th April 2009, 10:51 pm by Dunx

Dunx?
snow report
The SCUK thread might well say that, but I was there when those photos were taken and it was on Thursday not Wednesday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy