Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chosing a ski (sml lady)...help me out pls!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
5yrs ago hubby and I did a ski season chaleting. we were beginner skiers (were given basic elan hire ski's) but invested in weekly private tuition and came on leaps and bounds. I am now confident on all runs although without sharp edges ice still eludes me. my powder technique needs improving but I can handle most bumps (although not alwasy as stylishly as I'd like!)
Since then I have had 3 kids and this yr (last wk) was my 3rd ski trip. I hired skis - salomon verse length 140.
I am 5ft tall and 8 stone and seem to get on better with quite short ski's. I'd like to buy some for next year because I am fed up with how ski shops maintain their stock - the edges are never brill and waxing is dependent on how many they have to get serviced that week! If I buy then at least I can take out a decent serviced pair of ski's I know I am happy with.
Now realistically I ski mostly on piste following my mad hubby off the sides occasionally and I stick to reds probably. I am mum of 3 sml tots and only get to the gym once a week and only ski once a year. My fitness and leg / ankle strength is never going to be as good as when I did the season. I just want something that's really easy to ski (minimal effort) between cafe's and the creche! Not too pricey and generally enjoyable.
I did like the verse 140 although someone said it was a beginner ski and said I should really be moving on - but if I liked it should I stick with it? I cant see vast improvements being made once a yr for 6days! I tried a more advance ski (it was a fischer something but I cant remember what sorry) but after half a day I had ankle ache and cramp - very odd!

Any advice welcome - even if it's to keep on hiring skis!!
Thanks
Naomi
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gnomster, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

With skis, it's always best to try them out first - if you have the chance. In resort, you can usually demo skis that you are interested in, and the snowdomes in the UK all have demo centres.

All you need now is a short list of what to try!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are almost the same size and weight as my wife, Bev, and she has just bought and used a pair of Atomic B9 Puls Lady. She is thrilled with them and loves them to bits. They are also very good value at around £280 complete. Some more expert than us say they are too light and forgiving, but I'd put them on your list to try.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Bish, Which length has she got? My better half fancies a pair of those, although she is about 5'6'' and 9.5 stone. I know they have a pair of 158s to Demo at the EB in Castleford so I think a trip may be in order.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gnomster, I have some Rossignol Saphir Fun skis which are exactly what you're looking for. I am 5ft 1ish, and ski 150 length. You can get 'em in 2 types Fun 1 and Fun 2, depending on your ability. They turn easily, are really light to carry about (ideal if you also have to manage kids etc). Saw a few hire pairs around last week in Serre Chevalier, so someone is renting them out this season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul Holland, Bev has 148s and they suit her perfectly. She has skied on 160s in the past but likes the shorter length. They do seem superb value at the price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quite honestly? Unless you're spending more than 3 weeks a season on snow, hire them. Yes edges are notoriously blunt, but new skis get blunt at the same rate as hired ones and a quick word with the ski mechanic before you leave the shop sorts that out. hire skis can be tuned for free almost every night of the week if you want. And you can swop daily for off-piste, or blades, or even a board, if the mood/conditions take you. All without having to haul 'em thru airports and public transport, and without paying luggage surcharges, without worrying about them showing up, without worrying about rocks ripping the base up, without worrying they'll be stolen.....

But you're going to insist on buying. Sigh. rolling eyes

I'm 5.1 on a good day, and 9 stone. Couple of weeks ago I hired a set of Rossi Fun skis 148 - they were alright, but I found the lightness a pain (had to give them more oopmf to produce grip on dodgy surfaces) and faaaar too slow (spent a lot of time sitting on heals to avoid polling and just to keep up as normal!). Would've done with being heavier and longer. Which you can trial if you hire Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy