Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Pole Size?

Poster: A snowHead
When measuring for a pole length I understand that you turn the pole upside down and grasp it under the basket and your arm should be parallel with the ground at right angles to your body, (assume this counts for the end being in the snow) but does this mean in your boots with skis on, as I am taller this way? And when you see them advertised, is the 115cm etc, from tip to tip? I'm 5'6" in stocking feet (oh yea...he should be so lucky) in socks that is. 3 weeks 3 days to go!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about your specific question but this link

www.snowshack.com/skipole-guide.html

gives a pole marked as 115cm as being the recommended length for your height. I'm 5'6" and used some old 120cm poles that I've hacksawed down to 117.5cm because I found the recommended 115's to be too short (even for me!).

2 weeks, 3 days to go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 'hold pole upside down etc' formula was used for years, but that was before the days of bindings with big risers. It's still a good starting point, but as with so many things in skiing these days, you should feel free to experiment and choose the length that you prefer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jtr----Well I'm torn between the 115's and 120's, and I can't remember what I have used in the past. I would rather go for shorter ones as I'm using snow blades (120's) and I know all the blade "experts" will be jumping up and down screaming "don't use poles", but I find them very handy in the queues and on the flat bits!!! When you chopped yours down, didn't you end up with sharp metal at the end and lose the bit that sticks in the snow?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953 - knock the handles off and saw a bit off the tops, then put the handles back on.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike, I thought they were glued on! So what stops them turning round or pulling off if they are just pushed on?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Top tip from the mountain-biking world: if the grips won't come off, squirt hairspray under them (lift an edge with a small screwdriver). And before putting them back on, squirt hairspray inside the grip: it acts as a lubricant and, after a few minutes, sticks the grips so they don't spin or slip off!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953 - they're just pushed on. A quick clout with a rubber hammer or similar will get them off. Putting them back on is dead easy - just push them on the first inch or so, then turn pole upside down and whack it on the ground to push the handle home. Stevo's hairspray suggestion sounds good too!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, I agree with above ^ only to add that I use isopropanol to remove the grips, and that I find myself wishing for different pole lengths in different situations (I take 120cm under the old guidelines, use about 110 for bumps and 125 for deep, steep powder). Gabel have anticipated my wishes before I even knew I had them and designed the Pierra Menta pole.

Do you not skate in queues and on flats? If you do, then pole length scales with speed as well as with height, and you will wish for a longer pole the faster you go. At the same arm cadence, the longer pole spans more ground, you see.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, Skate!! I have enough trouble just moving, never mind balancing on one leg!! You're talking to a 7 weeker that still hasn't move off the blues/easy reds, that's why I'm now on blades, at least they go where I want and I don't keep crossing the tips!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1053 Here is how I shorten poles (I've done it a few times for the family). Put boiling water into a pot so there is enough to cover the pole handles. After a couple of minutes, the handles will become quite flexible and if you use a vice or jam them in a door, you can twist/pull the poles out of the handles. Saw off the amount you want from the handle end of the pole and then file the ragged bits off the pole to make it slide back into the handle more easily. Before you stick the pole back in, spray it with some hairspray which initially acts as a lubricant and then as a glue after a couple of minutes. You might have to push the handle quite hard but if you heat them up in the boiling water again and they will become more flexible.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jtr, Thanks, I gather the poles don't start narrowing down for while, so there won't be gap under the bottom edge?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, Well they don't narrow (to any noticeable extent at least) over that distance on any of the poles I've got. I've chopped double that amount ie 5cm off some old poles I got for my son (who regards poles as disposables) without any problems. PS If it is really difficult to get the handles off, carefully use a small screwdriver to make a gap between the handle (after it has warmed up) and the pole and spray WD40 into the gap. You can the screwdriver to work the WD40 round the pole and that will make it a bit easier to pull the two apart.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, Like just about everyone else here, I have 117.5s (cut down),. With new skis, with riser plates (like your blades I expect), they are a little short.....so here's a vote for 120s - 'cos as everyone else has said, you can easily shorten them.

On Blading with poles, well - feels a little bit like stabilisers onr your bicycle......get rid of them ! Gently at first (of course), but they should go.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, I need something to hang on to - so you leave my poles alone wink Can you shorten carbon poles just as easily? And what's the difference in ones called "racing", as I'm surfing ebay and they look just the same to me!
snow conditions
Don't know about carbon ones, but don't think so. Racing ones usually have a smaller grip, which is nicer to use, but can damage your eye after a fall - as the end will fit in the eye socket (I think).

As regards blading without poles - go on ! Dare ya ! Shocked
snow conditions
sharon, carbon poles cannot be cut with a conventional hacksaw. Some makes of carbon poles have built-in adjustment, Goode are one manufacturer with this facility.
latest report
Goode carbon poles are great if a little pricey and can be adjusted in length...
ski holidays
Another top tip, this time for cutting: instead of a hacksaw, if you can lay your hands on one use a pipe cutter (the sort plumbers use for copper central heating pipes - about £10). You'll get a nice, clean, straight cut, with a rolled edge (making it easier to get the grip back on).

Not sure if it would work on carbon, though. (And a hacksaw is likely to make carbon 'fray', unless you seal the cut part with araldite or some other resin. Carbon fibre splinters can be unpleasant as well. Oh, and the sawdust is probably toxic!)
ski holidays
Stevo, Blimey, now I'm going to poison myself and that's before I even get to the resort - will stick to the aluminium ones!
snow conditions
sharon1953, Save yourself a lot of bother and buy a pair of adjustable poles. I use nothing else these days. They are ideal when swapping between skis and blades or when doing long traverses (downhill pole long, uphill pole short).
And as for using blades without poles I would say don't.
Most of the people I see blading with no poles, over rotate their shoulders when turning. Using poles will help stop that tendency
latest report
If you are just riding the mountain on blades, using poles is fine/good. However, if you are hitting the park alot you'll probably want to ditch the poles so you can do some cool grabs Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy