Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva -> Tignes & Accom. (2 part question)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long-time reader (2 wks) & 1st Post

2 part question - sorry

a) Geneva airport -> Tignes Driving Route any ideas ?

Get into Geneva Airport at 10.30 am on Friday 18th Feb, and final destination is Tignes, but we may try & go to a close resort to Geneva (1hr or so) so that we can have a bit more slope action on the Friday afternoon, then do the rest of the journey after playtime therefore :

Any tips for the route to tignes ? various route planners give different options and so could effect which resorts we end up at on route ?

i.e. via Annecy & Albertville OR via Cluses, Italy & Mont Blanc Tunnel

b) The accommodation we have booked is only available to us from the saturday (19th) afternoon
and so looking, begging, pleading for 1 nights accommodation

just need somewhere to lay our weary head for the one night otherwise it could be 6 lads in a mini-bus !

we don't mind if it is just floor space - and a tip to the staff

could well be on route to Tignes see part a)

ta for your time
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowHead
sorry I can't answer as i don't know - but hopefully someone else can!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a) Definitely go via Albertville - don't try to go via the Mont Blanc Tunnel & Italy unless you want to ski from La Thuile to La Rosiere - the Petit St Bernard pass will be closed in winter!

b) Not sure about accommodation but I'm sure the tourist offices in Albertville/Moutieres/Bourg/Aime etc will have somewhere.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sbgmky, not sure about the best route but i am sure others can advise.

For one night's accommodation, I would have thought that your best bet would be to find a cheapy hotel in Bourg St Maurice and then do the drive up to Tignes early on Saturday morning. The only problem being that the world and his dog will also be driving up the hill on Saturday morning.

Welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbgmky, Be aware it's half term---so make sure you book !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sbgmky, welcome to snowHeads snowHead (glad I don't have to try and pronounce your username wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try the Formule 1 website for cheap enroute accommodation for single nights. Click here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, just what I was going to say ! Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sbgmky, Welcome to snowHead 's! Another Brighton snowHead

There is lots of info around here if you search for it - see top left under User Facilities.

Basically it will take you about 3+ hours to get to Tignes from Geneva, the autoroute (albertville, moutiers, bourg) is easiest and as you are travelling on a Friday you wont get stuck in all the traffic if you were doing it on a Saturday. Remember to hire snowchains etc. As Plake says - don't even think of Mont Blanc Tunnel! I think there is also a back route that locals use, especially on saturdays to avoid all the ques - there may be some information around here but the autoroutes will be (or should be) fine!

I don't know about resorts near to Geneva, but I'd probably spend all day at the resort nearest and then drive to a travellodge type of hotel (cheap & comfortable) within about 1 hour from Bourg. Then get up early for the short drive to Tignes, although i'm not sure what the parking would be like during feb on a saturday - you may want to ask some of the locals who post on here.

Enojy the trip!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbqmky, welcome to snowHeads, only one sensible way Tignes, via Annecy & Albertville. I would try to get accommodation en route, there are a number of good value hotels in Albertville or you could try this hotel, La Petite Auberge in Bourg St Maurice, tele 0033 4 79 07 05 86. The owners are English and have helped us out with odd nights for guests. Your dates are, however, in the middle of French 1/2 term holidays & most resort hotels will only take 7 day bookings at that time.
It will take you at least 2 hrs to get to BSM from Geneva, similar time to 3 valleys, closest resort, in time, is Chamonix & it's virtually all autoroute, but that gives you a long journey to Tignes, either back via Geneva or down to Megeve & via Arly to Annecy/Albertville etc. Good luck but I feel that Albertville will be your best bet.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 28-01-05 15:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sbgmky,
1. As everyone else has said go via Annecy and Albertville

2. I know a hotel in Moutiers called Hotel Le Commerce. It's not glam but it is absolutely ideal for a night. I am paying 34 euros a night next month for a double room with bathroom and small balcony. It is a small hotel with no frills but it does have character and is right in the middle of Moutiers. It would be about and hour and 15 minutes I reckon up to Tignes from there (perhaps a little less if you get lucky and leave early). As everyone else has said Chamonix is your best bet for the Friday's skiing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If one want to ski near Geneva then Flaine, Morzine and La Clusaz are the logical choice. All accessible from the motorway from Geneva to Chamonix.

I would book the Ibis hotel in Sallanche (1 hour from Geenva airport) so that there are plenty places to eat after skiing and then head for the hotel for a good night sleep. Next morning it will be a relax drive of about 70 to 80 miles to Tignes. Albertville also has Formula one and several economic hotels which I have stayed. Moutier also has a limited choice of cheap hotels bookable via the Internet.

It is over 2.5 hours drive from Geneva to Bourg and the quickest route is go round the Annecy Lake. The road from Mont Blanc side via Petit St Bernard only open in summer as many snowheads already confirmed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy