Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone out there skiied in Chile. I am hoping to get a week in if possible on a two month trip to South America this coming summer. Does anyone have any accomodation tips- looking to be as cheap as possible. Basically any knowledge would be gratefully received!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris, there are a number of posters on Epic ski with knowledge of Chile.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was covered on the BBC Holiday programme tonight. They didn't seem to rate it too highly - but that was in terms of looking at Chile as a one or perhaps 2 week ski holiday destination. The feelings were that - its a very long way to go, its very expensive to get there, the 'resorts' featured consisted of 3 hotels (Valle Nevado), and one hotel (Portillo) and nothing else at all, the skiing is limited and in some cases very limited, and it is also EXTREMELY high.

That said, I'd still fancy it! snowHead and more to the point Chris, if you're going to be there anyway then it would be a crime not to!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I saw the BBC Holiday thing tonight and it rather galvanised me into action! Apparently the heli-skiing there is very cheap- $60 for a morning. Also I think that the off-piste, if you get lucky is huge so it could be an amazing place to ski!! And, as you say, it would be a crime not to! Incidentally I'm also passing through Bolivia and my Lonely Planet tells me that the highest ski lift in the world operates there so we'll see! Don't really fancy carrying ski boots in my back-pack though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too saw the BBC hiliday programme. Did anyone else notice that (rather attractive) presenter was being taught by Kristian Ghedina? Mrs NBT won;t mind me saying that as she does have rather thing for Mr Ghedina - and yes it was him judgng by the screams when we saw a close up, and the eben louder screams when he crashed while straightlining and went tumbling like a rag doll

on topic, I've never skiied in South America and at those prices its unlikely I ever will, no matter how much I want to!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied Chile @ both resorts on lastnights Holiday show. First of all the one thing she said right was the risk factor for just 1 week . I go for a minumum of two week poss three.
South America is notorious for its weather. In Portilio I stayed at the same Hotel as she did. It is just how she desribed . Very Old but its fun , in fact the Austrian National Ski team were propping up the bar when I was there. Portilio is SMALL .
Valle Nevado is much bigger and there extensive off-piste. The Hotels in nearly all South American reosrts (Argy & Chile) are Full board inc Lift pass. THe Food is excellent. I styed in downtown Santiago and drove up to Valle Nevado each day. The road up is one way up in the morning and one way down in the afternoon.
The best place I found in Chile so far is Termus de Chillan. A short flight down from Santiago to Conception or Chillan. IT on an active Volcano The skiing is good here. IF you go to Portilio its quite easy to go thorough the Tunnel to Argentina (weather dependent) and drive to Las Lenas where your get some awsome skiing ! Cheap it aint as everthing is based on US $ and the primary customer is American.
Any more info please post ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, thanks for your info! Do you have any idea about cheap places to stay in El Colorado or Valle Nevado? Also are the ski areas there linked so you can actually ski from one to the other or are they just nearby?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been out there twice (Argy & Chile). I flew Swiss from Amsterdam to Buenos Aires> internal return flight to Malargue (Las Lenas) > flight Buenos Aires to Bariloche (Catedral)> 2 day Lakes/road tour to Puerto Monte in Chile> Flight upto Conception (Chillan) > Flight to Santiago (Valle Nevado,Portillo etc) > Santiago Amsterdam. Internal flights are cheap. I got a bloody good deal with Swiss as well but thats before they went bankrupt Very Happy

There no cheap places on the hill. The only way your make it cheap is going as a group or sharing . Alot of the places are french style apartments .
You can ski off piste to La Parva & El Colorado but you cannot ski back , Well you can hiking with skins. That was the case when I last went in 2001 . They had plans for new lifts. Looking at the website not much has changed . Your have to thunb a lift back, I dont think your find anywhere in Valle Nevado for less than single $150 a night but this normally includes lift ticket & meals. You probably checked the site allready but here's an idea. La Parva has more accomodation. Alot of the properties up here are privatly owned by the elite of Santiago
www.elcolorado.cl
www.laparva.cl

When I skied the areas around Santiago I stayed downtown Santiago one floor below the penthouse . I got this huge room $50 a night fantastic views. It was nice also to go and check out Santiago Nightlife. There not much happening in the resorts.
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=SCLDT

I can thouroughly recommend Chillan. i stayed at the Gran Hotel. I called them in advance why I was in southern chile . I also negotiated a big discount and they even sent there car down to the airport (2hrs away) to pick me up. Cheap Heliskiing .Food in this place is fantastic. Great not spring bath . This resort is packed out with yanks.
http://www.termaschillan.cl/web/

If you go to Ski Portilo. You can stay very cheap in Los Andes a shante town just before you head trans andes highway.

I bought this book years ago & it was my bible

http://www.southamericaskiguide.com/

this is also good info

http://www.andesweb.com

Hope it helps Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow! Thanks for all that, will be very handy! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy