Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting News regarding the Eurotest

Poster: A snowHead
Steve Angus, I agree fully on your comment that BASI made a poor decision on the fee raise. Seems to me they are penalising that vast majority that are close to the bar and using price to dissuade the few people that are having a go. Why not instead insist on pre approval say through a logbook or signoff by a Trainer, The fee raise is just wrong and i am amazed after all the discussion on the Eurotest that they lead with price and havent addressed the other key issues..

ps : can you think of anyone that got their ISTD over 40?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

...in a word 'NO' - non at all - a few have been close. A few have got other ISTD modules but never them all - especially the ET and Tech.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

...in a word 'NO' - non at all - a few have been close. A few have got other ISTD modules but never them all - especially the ET and Tech.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, isn't there someone called John Nelson who's just done it? Did ET about 3 years ago at something like 46 and Tech this year. I may have got the name/exact details wrong, but isn't he LDA or somewhere near?

Looks to me like they've tried to address the problem of Brits just keeping on having a go at the test without really being ready for it. Unfortunately they've gone at it in the uber-capitalist way that seem to be the only way to do anything in Britain nowadays - try and price people out of the "market", which only has an effect on the poorer end of it. Some signoff, or better still a limit of say 1 test/year and allowed a retake if you're within say X 10ths of the pass (and maybe a 2nd if you're still only a shade off) would actually address the problem more directly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, that seems sensible a sensible suggestion on forcing approval after being outside a boundary. How about anyone can rock up for 1 or 2 goes and then if your within x.x seconds crack on with additional tests, if not get signed off.. What if you crash out though Toofy Grin

yeah i think easiski may have mentioned him before, i was just curious to get some sort of idea on actual people who got through. seems to me like any top level athletic endeavour once your past your early 30's it gets hard, 40's very hard and 50's just about impossible to compete with the 20 somethings...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus, I had asked BASI a few times for a breakdown of ISTD passes by age but no info was forthcoming... Doesn't fill me with hope... but JJC would say i am just being negative Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I know a couple of guys who passed Eurotests and the L4 tech in their late 30s and 40s with no issues at all so it's not impossible! If you are fit and at the level then it is attainable.

Edited to add that I know someone who passed the L4 tech in their 50s last season. He was dedicated, trained really hard and is incredibly fit.

I personally don't think age is necessarily a barrier. A lot of people (including the younger instructors) are carrying injuries and I appreciate that recovery can take longer as we age, plus the rate at which we learn new skills can slow down the older we are but I don't think this is the major factor in not being able to pass. I think a bigger factor in preventing older skiers attaining the level are possibly other comittments on time, finances and family life which tend to increase with age and mean that they cannot put the necessary time into training for the higher levels of qualification.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 10-09-11 13:21; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, this all begs the $64,000 question: how's your fitness programme coming along?!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks to everyone for the feedback provided with regard to the Speed Test policy.

All the feedback received to date has now been collated into a single report that has been circulated. This feedback will be given careful consideration.

I hope to be able to feedback to you with any outcomes in due course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What do people think about having a few eurotest related video's on Basi's youtube channel?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It would be really good to do that jjc james.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jjc james, Some actual test footage of participants would be cool.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jjc james, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jjc james wrote:
What do people think about having a few eurotest related video's on Basi's youtube channel?

yes please!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
jjc james wrote:

yes please!

Ditto
latest report
Good idea - and test technique/slalom standards for L2 and L3s
ski holidays
pfairbrother, ok that one may be a tad harder. But Craig may be going to a test tech this season so I'll see if he can get some video.
ski holidays
Maybe R555MAC still has some training footage from just before he passed the TT.

I'm still not sure what people expect to see in videos of successful Eurotest participants other than images of somebody who has learned current race technique.
ski holidays
rjs, If the data is available I'd be interested in looking at a range of candidates along with their + \ - times.
latest report
I'll be taking my camera to ADH in Dec.
snow conditions
It was reported that a Green Paper on the EU wide professional card has been distributed to the board of BASI

if anyone is going to the AGM can they ask what the contents of this document is and what BASI 's position is on the matter.
snow conditions
skimottaret, That could be very significant to the wider membership. I'm aware of one EU country\region that is no longer recognizing ISIA or previously accepted qualifications.
ski holidays
Apparently both France and Austria didn't attend the recent ISIA meeting in Budapest!
snow report
...in all fairness although a member of the ISIA France has never been number one fan and often 'accepts' what ISIA says through gritted teeth... Austria on the other hand are normally pretty keen on being part of the ISIA movement. In France 'officially' the ISIA exists but in reality most instructors 'on the ground' have no knowledge / contact with the organisation as ENSA try and keep the whole 'other countries have a say on our qualifications and levels' secret.

skimottaret - any idea at all what is in this paper? We could ask PSG when he gets back?
snow report
Steve Angus, No idea at all so i have written a letter to our chairman. Apparently a green paper has been published by the EU on mutual recognition so the process seems fairly well advanced. this was discussed earlier at the beginning of this thread.

also heard a rumour that when the ET came in anyone over 40 who was doing ISTD modules got an exemption from the ET... Anyone know anyone that got this? if true it sets an interesting precident
snow conditions
skimottaret I think what you may be talking about was the BASI 'grandfathering' system. What this meant was that anyone who already held the old BASI 1 qualification (whether or not they had done the ENSA crossover / Capa exams) were admitted to the Eurogroup qualification which as we now call it the ISTD (BEES 1 in ENSA etc). By default the vast majority of those people were people who had been in the system for a long time (as trainers in a lot of cases). So I think people now refer to 'the older guys' getting an exemption from the ISTD exams such as the ET / second discipline (as it used to be a top level qualification requirement not ISIA level!) when they were 'upgraded' automatically to the ISTD level... over time the rumour has now probably turned to 'anyone over 40' got exemption.

It is interesting to note that many of the older trainers never did the ET or the Capa equivalent bar a few. I suspect Rob@rar (as well as many of us) may know someone in particular who did do French Capa and could answer this query categorically.
snow conditions
My apologies rather than wade through the thread, has anyone any idea on ski length for ET after 2013? is it going to revert to 195 or stay with the rule that an fis ski can be used within 5 years of manufacture which I think I have seen written somewhere? I have asked BASI with no reply and am buying skis 191 so really do not want white elephants in two years time. An authority can provide a one word answer for brevity if appropriate. Thanks
snow report
Cynic, whenever I've asked this question I've been told that any ski that has been FIS legal in the past few years is allowed for the ET. However that's today's rule, you can't say for certain what a rule will be in 2 years' time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, that's very vague Confused
snow report
French version http://www.tinyurls.co.uk/a8c

Google translate version http://www.tinyurls.co.uk/a8b

"Wearing a helmet is compulsory for all candidates (French or foreign) on pain of being denied the very beginning. Les candidat(e)s devront avoir un ski à chaque pied. The candidate (s) must have a ski on each foot. Il est recommandé aux candidats d'avoir du matériel de ski alpin It is recommended that applicants have Alpine skis adapté à la nature de l'épreuve. adapted to the nature of the event."

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 16-10-11 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
jjc, hmm no mention of boots, i just wasted a couple of quid! damn....... Toofy Grin

Cut and paste from basi site:

Length of Ski: 185cm +/- 5cm (male), 180 +/- 5cm (female)
Minimum turning radius (male and female): 21m
snow report
slikedges, if they rigidly stuck to the ski length rules then people would be having to buy new skis every time the rules changed. That is why they say if they've met the requirements previously, they're allowed.

jjc, please can you tidy up that link, as it's making it very difficult to read this thread, thanks.
ski holidays
What would yo like me to do with it? It comes up normally on my comp?
ski holidays
jjc, not sure, maybe an admin can help.
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:
jjc, not sure, maybe an admin can help.

Fine for me. Though did experience the irritating hovvering advert bar yesterday which meant couldn't see half the boc
snow report
the link is very long on my screen (and half of it not a link). As a result all the posts below are now pretty much on one line and i have to scroll across the screen to see them! so annoying...
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
the link is very long on my screen (and half of it not a link). As a result all the posts below are now pretty much on one line and i have to scroll across the screen to see them! so annoying...

What size screen do you have Beanie?

I'm on a tiny 17inch lappy screen and all fine for me....
latest report
The links don't make any difference to the page layout for me but neither of them are clickable.

You don't need to display the link itself, just put it inside the first url tag.
ski holidays
roughly the same as that i think (Macbook Air). It's a big scroll - I'd say it's made the screen 3 times as wide as usual. Only on this thread though, so don't think it's my settings?
ski holidays
Beanie1's problem may well be the browser - not wordwrapping the long URL. I also have no problem. Ah - it's a Mac failure (no problem on Windows IE8) Laughing

jjc, with URLs like that, which really give no useful information to the reader, it's normally best to hide it and replace it with some more useful text as follows:
{url=http://translate.....the_rest_of_your_long_url...}The text you want to appear{/url}, but replacing the curly brackets by square ones [ ] . Unfortunately, in this case the embedded parentheses (...) seem to mess up that process. It does still seem to work by deleting everything after the first parenthesis though, and your link turns out something like this: The text you want to appear
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy