Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My first experience of weather messing with skiing :(

Poster: A snowHead
Well here it is, I thought that all there was to a good trip was to go to a resort with a load of snow, good weather and that would be it..... but alas I have discovered otherwise. I am sitting in the Jasper Park lodge at this moment having had rather a nightmare in my travels so far. We went up to Banff 2 nights ago to break the trip from calgary to Jasper. Normally the onward trip is about 4 hours, unfortunately the weather had something to say about that..... having been 30 below for the last weeks, we were pleased to see a return to seasonal temperatures at the start of last wee along side snowfall..... there has been about 3 feet in the last week. Unfortuately we went beyond the seasonal temperature and out the other side, it is currently alot warmer here than in the UK!! So all of a sudden the snow is falling as rain and the road from Banff to Jasper is closed for 5 days and remains that way.

Never fear, there is an alternative route! Hells bells was it alternative! We were sat in a minivan for 9 hours, quite a number of which were spent on a logging trail which was neither smooth nor grippy! Sitting in the back seat with people on either side I was baked and the bumps were doing there best to dislodge my spleen! Anyhow, we got here and that is all good, I can forget about that. Then getting to the hotel we find a distinct problem..... you cant walk to your room! The snow on the ground has melted and refrozen such that there is an inch of glass to stop you! It is costing rather a fortune in tips to get the holtel guys to come and collect us! Its a bit of fun I guess albeit a pain in the ass.

So at this point I havent lost any skiing which I am dying to get to. So this morning, up and all sorted and into the bus. Up to the turnoff to Marmot Basin and there we stopped behind a queue of traffic. It seems the same ice at the hotel has hit the road up to the hill and half a dozen cars had gone off. So that is the end of my skiing for this day, its also the end of everything else because it seems most activities round here require you to go outside, fine when it is cold or snowing, but the rain is another matter. So now just to cross fingers that tomorrow (which has the same rainy and warm (about 9 degrees!) outlook), turns out rather less of a skiing downer.

At least I have complimentary net access so can come and checkout snowheads to cheer me up!

Ad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
O DEAR snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I well remember one starry evening at the JPL some years ago. In one evening, we were treated to a total eclipse of the moon, the Hale Bop comet, and the northern lights. Amazing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, how lucky am I, sat at home in Lincolnshire with no hills and no snow....

Not bitter at all...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowHead

Well we did manage to get up for an hour and half this afternoon which has now redeemed the holiday making me just a fraction more comfortable with the expenditure of thousands to get here! It was really quiet as well, which was nice! But apparently today was BUSY compared to the rest of the week..... this snowHead hopefully will have the slopes almost to himself! (assuming this damned warm snap goes away!)

Ad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickbunting, It's snowing in lincoln now! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buns, You have my sympathy.

I was in Donegal yesterday and there is still a fair bit of snow above 500m. We had quite alot last week, but it's all gone at low levels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnboy, was it on the aptly named Slieve Snaght or were you boarding on Errigal?!
buns, in the past it wasn't necessary to go out of the lodge to enjoy the sushi at Tom's(Tabo Okazaki). Enjoy the Basin!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lamentable story.

To redeem the situation, go into Jasper and have a pint of Honeybrown in the Whistlestop pub, Whistlers Inn.

There wont be the usual wall to wall ice hockey on telly though, cos theyre all on strike.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac46, We were at Errigal, but didn't go up, so we went to Burtonport and had lunch, Fresh scallops and a pint of the Black stuff Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy wrote:
buns, You have my sympathy.

I was in Donegal yesterday and there is still a fair bit of snow above 500m. We had quite alot last week, but it's all gone at low levels.

John, by the looks of it the end of the week will bring fresh snow and lower temps, just in time of heading down to Louise (if they can get the darned road open!), so just keep your fingers crossed! Your trip really whetted my appetite to get there!

Ad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buns, Unlucky Crying or Very sad

I am planning to go out next week, how was the snow when you got to ski or is it ice like the roads.

Thanks.

Stephen.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
guess you could always go ice skating on the driveway?!! Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snow was pretty good yesterday inspite of having been rained on. It was a fraction icy today but not at all bad. The forecast is for more snow though so hopefully it will get better.

If you are heading to calgary and then up the road, make sure to check the road conditions as highway 93 between calgary and Jasper is still (and has been for best part of a week) beyond Lake Louise...... Im rather hopeful this changes since I need down that road on Friday but at the moment it looks grim

ad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, If the Spanish are out on the streets of Burgos on skis I'm sure you can manage a few runs on the Sperrins Very Happy Last time I was in Donegal I met some real characters who told me about "the big freeze of '47". I have since seen photos of coastal roads at that time with at least one metre of snow and I can believe the old-timers words about the ice "going on and on, almost to Scotland"! snowHead
snow conditions
buns,
Thanks for that.

I'm going to Banff and it seems a little better there.

I hope you get back OK

Stephen
snow report
Banff is grand and dandy! You wont have any hassle getting there and there is plenty of snow on the hills, im sure it will be great!

ad
latest report
Well we have just done the transfer from Jasper to Lake Louise, fortunately the Parks people got the road open after 10 days so it was only a couple of hours (albeit in a frrrreeeeezing bus!). So the report on Jasper....

Hotel: We were in the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, and lets say it is different from all previous fairmonts I have been in. While I wont deny that it is a very luxurious place, it is a main reception lodge with loads of chalets kind of place where I am used to one large building with everything within. While this sounds to have appeal, problems arise since the place is obviously cold and icy. So with clothes on, it is a tough 10 min walk to get to the lobby and if you want to go to the pool..... well you have to go over with all your stuff with you which i find rather a hassle. So basically you end up calling the bell desk and getting them to collect you allthe time! So a hassle anyhow. The next hassle is that town is miles away, a $20 taxi. Not an immediate problem you say, we'll just eat in the hotel. Well the hotel is really quiet at this time of year, so they only had the lobby restaurant open so you are forced with a $40 return taxi or to eat the same food (which is admittedly lovely!) each night. So anyhow, those are the bad points. On the plus side, the room was gorgeous and massive. It opened out onto the frozen lake, it was well serviced, had the best shower I have ever seen and even had niceties like microwave, fridge and a working fireplace. The Food in the hotel, as I mentioned, was exquisite, especially the mussels! Yum!

Moving towards the hill, the hotel provides a bus going a number of times a day costing $8 return. It takes about 30 mins to get there and is perfectly acceptable though of course not a patch to chateau whistler where we were last year. Anyhow, the Hill. It isnt the biggest but it is a pretty reasonablesize with half a dozen lifts operating. It seemed alot easier in general than I recall Whistler, but maybe the intervening year has confused me. The area is generally quite quiet and peaceful and I thought there were a few gorgeous blue runs, paradise in particular comes to mind as a really pleasant long cruise. I tried blacks for the first time and really enjoyed some of Marmot Basins groomed blacks..... straight forward runs varying from gentleish (for a black!) to really steep. I tried some of the non groomed but it was clearly beyond my talents, I really struggled so wouldnt want to comment! There are also shed loads of mogully runs which I didnt try..... I really enjoyed the whole Marmot Basin experience, well worth 3 days of skiing I would have said!

Anyhow, Im sat waiting on our room in Chateau Lake Louise, first impressions are really good, for a start there is snow as opposed to ice! I'll let you all know more when im done!

ad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy