Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home Movies

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to dissapoint anyone who thought this topic may get a little blue.

But has anyone got any advcie on video editing software that is easy to use for a technophobe, i.e. editing clips, adding music, captions etc.

Come to think of it any advcie could have multi-uses whether its home made ski movies or....ermmmm....'art' movies. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Adobe Premier but it's definately a bit technical, on the other hand it is very powerful
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We made a movie of a recent skiing holiday using imovie which is a great bit of software that is dead easy to use and can do all the things you are talking about. You do need to be on a Mac platform though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.editstudio.com/

If you've got XP SP2 you should have MovieMaker 2, as well, though Edit Studio is far better.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iMovie on the Mac is a cinch (it's free with the machine).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunatley have not succumbed to the infinately better technology of the Mac, so Windows packages only. Thanks for the replies so far Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're looking for cheap, and have Windows, then there's Windows Movie Maker. I, like D G Orf, use Adobe Premiere. It took a while to learn, but in my opinion the best I've used.

I have used Ulead Video Studio in the past. It was easy to use, but I quickly found I couldn't do the things I wanted to with the video. One example is some footage I took in Pas. I manually white balanced the camera with my goggles on, and consequently didn't notice I got it wrong. When I watched the video back of that day it was all yellow. In Premiere I could correct the colours back in the editing phase, and you can't tell I made a cock up Smile

Do you have a DVD burner? I'd throughly recommend getting one if you don't. It's the only format that will do justice to your editing Smile Sometimes they bundle reasonable editing software with DVD burners. That might be worth looking in to.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adobe does two versions of Premiere, Pro and Elements. It looks as if the Elements version is more for home users and less technical. They only make it for Windows, not Mac, so I haven't tried it, but it looks as if it has more features than iMovie, which is what I use.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RachelQ, "Final Cut Pro" is Apple's professional level software (but iMovie does everything I could ever imagine needing).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
as metioned, windoews movie maker is ok. VirtualDub is also recommended but i havevn;t tried it as it won;t run on my compute (old operating system). Ulead is supposed to be excellent.

I really shpud find out more as I intend to start doig this kind of thing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies. Need to upgrade my PC anyway and a DVD Burner is one of the top priorities. I'll research to see if it comes with any software and post under this topic. Just off to pick my ski's up having put them in for a full service. Now can I resist not buying that Eider jacket I saw last week.....hmmmmm....no tlooking good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go buy a Mac mini (£339) and get iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iSki (OK I lied about the last one...) thrown in for free. Plusyou won't need to worry about viruses.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This could be the killer app for the Mac mini I suspect.

Microsoft Moviemaker's actually not too bad at all really. You still need to author the DVD though but that's the case with most editors for Windows. Moviemaker is free of course as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to hijack the thread a little but does anyone know if it is possible to transfer old camcorder footage onto PC then onto DVD?
Only output I have on the camcorder is audio and video (it is 10 years old and not been used for about 7 though it does still work)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boardski, presumably those are analogue outputs. If so, you will need a device to convert the signals to digital form, either a PCI card in your PC (you may already have one if you have an ATI All in Wonder graphics card or similar) or one of the many external devices available (usually connecting via USB2 for dvd data rates). The latter start at around £50 and go up to £200 or so, almost all come with video editing and dvd burning software but these can be relatively limited in their capabilities. Lots to choose from - check out Pinnacle stuff for example.
ski holidays
Having just spent the last two months evaluating which path to go down for exactly this question, I've really only three observations.
Pretty much any budget video editing programme will do a reasonable job (though the Pinnacle one is repeatedly slagged off as too flaky)
It can take DAYS to render a compilation and woe betide you using your computer for anything else at the same time!
And getting your digital output format correctly encoded for use on a burner and then usable in any other player is AAAAAGH!!! Skullie

But I've gone down the Mac multi-processor route for the off-line rendering and will use my old G4 for the compilation with the full Mac Vid suite. But even with that, I'm going to have to buy a FW Sony burner to get the full encoding possibilities and that's on a PC! Even now I'm still trying to understand all the possibilities for commercial DVD/VHS/Dvid publication.
ski holidays
Masque, EditStudio rocks. It's far superior to MovieMaker and has many/most of the advanced features that Premiere has, without all the spot colour editing that no one's ever gonna use anyway. It takes a couple of hours (P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, SATA drive) to render a 45 minute DVD MPEG, and the computer is quite happy to do other stuff while it's rendering in the background.

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a music video from my last ski trip to http://kibo.org.uk/movies/LaRosiere.mpg. It's 16:9 widescreen, 44MB, is set to FGTH's "Relax" and contains the F word once or twice.
snow conditions
As Masque points out, the standard of hardware does play a large part in the amount of time taken to produce the final results. You need at least a 2GHz processor, and lots of disk space. I have a dedicated 160GB hard disk just for the videos I work on. Recent wedding videos resulted in 3-4 hours of footage that needed to be edited down. That's about 50GB just in source video files.

One thing I've found with Premiere is that if you don't add lots of video effects then it renders to DVD quickly, as the DV source resolution (720x576) is the same as DVD. All the rendering then has to do is adjust the bitrate. When doing long videos that take hours to render I just leave it rendering overnight.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, your link doesn't seem to be working.
latest report
I've just renamed the file - try http://kibo.org.uk/movies/ and right-click/Save As from there.
snow conditions
Boardski, My DVD recorder (Mico espejor r311i, £100 from sainsbury) has analogue inputs as well as a firewire port. maybe that's worth looking at for you?
snow report
hyweljenkins, Link still not working

Thanks for the info guys.
ski holidays
It is from here, and through http://www.megaproxy.com/

It's also at http://demo.hyweljenkins.com/larosiere.mpg
snow report
I don't do too much encoding any more, but a couple of things make life easier: fast HD (FW800 or SCSI), as much RAM as will fit. Also most people I know have ditched Premiere for Final Cut Pro. Easier, faster, cheaper. For rendering out, multi-processors are much quicker if you have the cash.
ski holidays
checking through my downloads, Avid Free DV is the priduct I meant, not Ulead. Sorry about that
snow report
hyweljenkins, Nice clip!
ski holidays
Check out the SimplyDV forum for good advice and info. Pinnacle is cheap and easy to use but does not offer the flexibility of Premier. I have used it a few times to put together quick and dirty ski movies but personally prefer Premiere.
ski holidays
Boardski, thanks, but it's not a clip. It's a pocket-sized feature fillum.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boardski, If you are upgrading your camera, buy a camera with DV in and out. You will then be able to copy your old analogue tapes to digital through the camera. You can also convert the analogue signal to digital for downloading to a PC or Mac through the camera without any additional cards. You will need a firewire input on the pc.
If you are upgrading your PC have a look at the Matrox web site their RTX 100 card includes a copy of Premiere Pro for not much more than the price of the software alone, and allows real time rendering.
snow report
I have to agree with people on XP's MovieMaker, easy to use if a bit limited with no DVD output option.
I have tried in vain to get to grips with Adobe Premier but the learning curve was way too steep for my little brain with limited time. I have now settled for Movie Edit Pro 2005 by Magix , cheap @ around £50 and seems very stable, and fast at producing some rather nice effects that my friends struggle doing in Adobe , dont get me wrong Adobe is the dogs bxllxos but I and others have found the actual program very demanding in learning time. You can down load a demo from the Magix site from what I remember.

Just my two pence worth

Fur
ski holidays
Boardski,

The problem you have is converting.
DVD needs a modern MPEG.

I use an AVI/DVD converter which you can buy off the Net for about $30:00 which converts all sorts of things but the most important is the DVD aspect
Batch up your files and this will take a new PC a couple of hours and pretty well kill your machine whilst doing it.
Then use Nero to burn the DVD.

Some editors convert already but I prefer to seperate these stages as I have more control if the thing blows out the burn.

I have used Pinniacle and it is ok-ish but can be a bit hit and miss. It is cheap though...
snow report
As luck would have it I take delivery of a new Dell PC next week and it's a bit of a flying m/c ( P4 550, 1GB DDR2, 250GB drive and loads of other toys). Is the AVI/DVD converter a piece of PCI hardware?
snow report
Boardski, nope, software. TMPEGEnc will do it, but I can't remember the URL to it.
snow report
TMPEGEnc is excellent and there's associated tools. There's a trial version that's worth a go. However, I thought it was a bit hardcore and required the user to have way more knowledge about the underlying technology than was reasonable in most cases.
snow report
Boardski,

This is the one I use. It is cheap and simple.

http://www.winavi.com/

good for AVI to DVD converts and others.
latest report
ise, there's an "express" version now - just click a few buttons to choose the input file and the output format, then press "Go". Job done. THe normal version was beyond me.
ski holidays
That must be recent, I think it was October or so I tried that. I'll take a look at the new version.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy