Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question on foot bed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I know that using foot beds / orthotics is highly recommended. I am using customized orthotics for running. Is it possible/recommended to use them inside ski boots or it's a better idea to make a pair of new ones ajusted specifically for ski boots?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I have read, everything indicates you should have a different pair for ski boots than for running shoes because of the differance in stance between skiing and running
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have thought that you should get a different orthotic/footbed for ski boots. Your foot`s range of motion, and the pressures its subjected to, whilst running are very different from the pressures it experiences in a ski boot.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not thought about so I don't have an opinion really and I've not read anything about it either Very Happy

But, I do have a selection of foot beds I share between roller blades, running shoes, snowboard boots, ski boots, hiking boots and it's just fine for me. I really fail to see why they wouldn't be, the foot beds correct back to a norm' the rest of you have. If I can't use the same pair in several applications then the rest of you need them in at least some applications.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might not get totally optimal performance, but . . . who cares. Try them out, if they're comfortable in the ski boots, use them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Dad just had some made last week to correct a knee alighnment problem and he is using the same ones in hiking ski and normal shoes. i use the a superfeet moulded footbed which although is not technically an orthotic they are designed to be used in a variety of footwear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
proshuto, welcome to Snowheads.

To clear up a misconception:
Orthotics are foot supports based on a paster mould of the foot in a neutral position, and are designed usually to fix severe genetic problems (e.g. one leg shorter than other).

Foot beds, on the other hand, are designed for people with normal skeletal and joint structure to support active foot movement during sports. The majority of people suffer some form of pronation/supination which will cause pain and aching in the feet and/or legs that cuts short the amount of time in any day that they can spend enjoying their sport. A properly fitted footbed will help place the foot, and consequently the rest of the body, into a more efficent allignment throughout the movement required for the sport in question, which causes less pain and aching, and therefore means you can spend more time doing your sport.

To answer ise's misconception: A properly fitted footbed isn't designed to support your foot shape, it's designed to support the way your foot shapes itself as you carry out your given sport.

When skiing your foot will contort itself in a very different fashion than it will when you run or do any other activity. Skiing's one of the few sports that requires your foot and leg to maintain a highly flexed position for long periods, where your weight is consistently loaded thru the middle of your foot. By comparison running and walking involves a circuit of sequentially changing extreme flexing positions - running and walking shoe footbeds are (or at least they should be) designed to both allow for and support this range of movement.

A good skiing footbed provides relatively rigid foot support, predominantly to the middle of your foot, and this will make it inadvisable to use in running shoes or hiking boots. Probly ok to chuck em into snowboard boots, although I haven't tried this and I imagine the different weight disbursement required for boarding might make it a bit tricky. Roller blading is possibly the only sport where the body dynamics are similar to skiing and so a ski-boot footbed might be helpful.

proshuto, there are plenty of bootfitters in most Apline resorts who will fit you up with good footbeds for skiing. Alternatively try Profeet in London or snow&rock.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, you'll find it's not a misconception, my ortho's are done by a guy who previously did the US ski team. Turns out both he and I know what we're talking about. There again, I didn't say footbeds were designed to support your foot shape either.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't use my skiing footbeds in anything other than ski boots - they won't fit, and are too rigid to conform to any other footwear. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy