Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All-Mountain Ski (Women's?) for an Advanced Skier

Poster: A snowHead
I am 5'4", 130lbs and would rate myself as an advanced-expert skier. I'm looking to improve...get up to that expert level. I love steeps, chutes, moguls, bowls...anything with a challenge. I'm currently skiing on a 168 Volkl Vertigo G30 which I've discovered is too long for me and maybe even too stiff as well?. I'm having to work fairly hard to carve it and moguls are NOT fun on this ski.

I'm looking for a ski I can take anywhere, especially those black moguls, bowls, chutes, etc and also one I can carve on the groomed.

Here's a list of skis I've already demo-ed...am I just being too picky since All-Mountain is good at a lot but great at nothing? In order of favorite to least favorite so far.

*Volkl 724 EXS Gamma - fun in moguls, good on groomed, not so good in deeper snow
*K2 T:Nine One Luv - not quite as good in moguls, good on groomed, better in deeper snow...felt a little off-balance on it at times
*Fischer RC4 Slalom ski - only tried for a couple runs...LOVED it on the groomed but had no chance to take it on black moguls or deep snow...not sure how a race ski would fair in steep moguls. Went through some smaller blue moguls...found it liked to go fast and was harder to check my speed (technique vs. equip?)
*Atomic Metron - moguls were so-so and not as fun as the Fischer RC4 on groomed
*Salomon Scream (Women's) - fun in moguls, horrible on the groomed
*Dynastar Exclusive - awful...used to having my weight forward and unless I tried to keep it way back, this ski grabbed at the tips

Thanks in advance,
Dana (who apologizes for such a long post)
[/list]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Poseidon04 wrote:
I love steeps, chutes, moguls, bowls...anything with a challenge

So you're after an adventure! snowHead

Yeah, yeah, I'll get me coat Embarassed

Dana, looking at your profile I'd guess that you're coming down the scale a little too far. As you seem to be a pretty good skier I'd think you should try the Burnin Luv or True Luv in the K2 range, and the M:9/10 in the Atomics (although you don't say which one you tried).

These days there also seems to be a trade off in performance, if a ski is good on groomers 'n bumps it probably isn't just as good in powder, so you'll have to balance that into your thinking.

At least you can get to demo though Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply! Smile

The Atomic Metron I tried was the M:11 (red w/ some orange)

Dana
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife pretty much fits your skier profile. She's on Salomon Crossmax 10s at the moment, 160cm. Skis like a dream. She phoned today to say she's bought a pair of Screams, so it'll be interesting to see what she thinks. I'll post in the next few days when I get some feedback.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm, the really tricky thing about getting up to 'expert' level is that by definition, u need your own expertise.

Your demoing is a good start and I figure, more of the same. I found demoing skis has taught me as much about my own technique as about the skis themselves. As I'm sure you've figured by now, there is no single answer to your very complex question. Steeps, chutes, moguls, bowls, groomers, powder: there are skis which will 'manage' all these (on the right feet) but is there a ski that will excel at all? Not only will different skis show their strengths on different terrains but every advanced-expert skier is going to have their own opinion about how good each was at what. My personal favourite skis, make moguls easy, groomers fun, float in powder, smooth out the crud and make landing jumps a breeze (IMO). Others, however, say they are too fat for moguls, to soft for groomers, not long enough (and too soft again) for powder, don't rise enough at the tip for crud and have a tendency to get stolen a lot.
They could be right rolling eyes

It always helps to have someone to bounce ideas and opinions off. One of my best days was skiing with a friend who has the exact same binding setting as me. We swapped skis back and forth all day. Taking out two sets between us for 2 hours at a time all day and skiing the same few runs over and over.

It seems to me that these days, a lot of 'experts' have more than one set of skis to suit different terrains or, at least, understand when their particular 'favourite' isn't up to the day ahead and hire/borrow a more suitable alternative.

So, U haven't told us which features of the park excite U most? Has anyone introduced U to Pocket Rockets yet? Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
...and BTW Dana, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice post admin, Having a leaning towards offpiste I have skied for the last 6 or 7 years on the yellow Xscreams gradually buying shorter lengths as an all round ski I think they take some beating. But now to the point, due to Ryanair weight restrictions last year on an offpiste week in Obergurgl we decided to hire skis. Our first choice was to try the new spaceframe Xscreams (without the chilli) we both felt as we were with seperate groups we did not want to shame ourselves so went for something we would be familiar with. How wrong can you get, the NEW Xscreams are dull, lifeless & heavy, without commenting to my wife I asked her what she thought of her's and she came up with the same opinion. The hire shop then issued me with a pair of Stockli Stormriders which I kept for the rest of the week (some reservations on ice). My wife was issued a pair of Crossmax 10's at only 155cm which we thought would be too short for the offpiste, but she was happy on them!
I have now purchase a couple of pairs of Elan 666's but due to the shortage of snow before and after Christmas we haven't tried them yet, will report after next week. BTW we both consider ourselves to ski at expert level.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks admin, liked your post, and agree that my ski should make moguls easy and be fun on the groomed.

Marc, I did finally try the Burnin' Luv...

and may have found my ski Smile Also tried the Rossignol B2 (Women's) and found that to be a very close 2nd for that length. Tried the K2 in a 153 and 160, and the B2 in a 160 (all they had at the time). The K2 in the 160 was a little more work in the moguls so I liked the 153 better...except that it would slide out from under me on the hardpack (it was slightly icey in spots yesterday)...am wondering if that is a poor tune (edges) or the shorter length...since I tend to go fairly fast and ski agressively on groomers and longer=more stable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And no Admin, haven't tried the pocket rockets though I've heard good things. My concern with those would be the carving ability since I do like to get a good carve going on the groomed.

I'm not a big jump/tricks skier...so don't really venture into the park. I have entertained the thought...and then decided I like my arms and legs intact Smile haha
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try a Rossi 9S Oversize.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ghost,

Fantastic ski but not sure about the off-piste potential.
I had a blast on these on hard-pack and you only have to 'think' turn and they are interested. Didn't keep them long as the snow came.

Poseidon04,

I tried Head Monster m75 which I thought in the conditions (continuous new snow ) were far better than the B2..and the B2 was not bad...changed my mind about these, ski them short..!!

The Head is easy to turn and get round in thigh high steep snow. I didn't get to use them on hard pack and suspect ice may be their downfall but then any ski will struggle to cover all these bases. I would buy these skis if they held well on ice, which I couldn't tconfirm one way or another.

ssh will say try Metron b5's...and as hard as I looked I couldn't find them to demo...but they sound promising..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT,
You say to ski the B2 short...I tried it at 160 (shop didn't have the 150) and I'm 5'4. Am wondering if you think it would still carve okay in a shorter size and handle the deeper snow?

BTW, I'm hooked on the K2 Burnin' Luv on the groomed ...reservations about the shorter length (153 vs. 160) in deeper chunky snow as they tend to get tossed around a bit but didn't have as much of a problem in the longer size...then again, liked the shorter length in bumps.

I feel like I am in-between sizes Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Poseidon04,

This is always tough. I tried the B2 in 182 and hated it on the piste, it was too slow. I had much better snow with the B2 178 and found it a worthwhile ski for those conditions. I think it does all things quite well. At 178 it was good in deep snow which I think is its forte so I would be inclined to ski it in the shorter lenghts knowing it can cope in the deeper stuff and get the added benefit of handling moguls.
It all comes down to compromise as it is as clear as it has ever been, one ski does not do it all. This might explain why people carry two or three sets of skis now. I wouldn't do this so I now hire. And as long as shops don't mind me swapping then I am ok. Mind you, you then have to put up with not being able to get the ski you want, in the size you want

To answer your question directly, I think it will be ok in the deeper stuff and carve ok at 150. But before you make a decision to buy then I would try it in that lenght. You are the one who will ski it. Bit of a cop-out, I know!!

To repeat myself, I thought the Head ski was far better in the conditions I had, which was new snow every day....!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you tried the 1080? Despite it being sold as a park ski, it is a fantastic all mountain ski, will do piste, bumps and is great in powder.

My wife is very skeptical about new skis, she tried the 1080 last year and loved them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have you decided on skis??? I am considering the K2 Burnin Luv's if I can get my hands on some. I am 5'2 110 lbs and not sure whether I should try the 153 vs the 160. I am at similar ski level ability.
What didn't you like about the Dynastar Exclusive Legends? I am struggling with whether I should get a carving ski like the K2 Burnin Luv' or whether I should get a wider ski at the waist
thanks Dana
Kathy
snow report
kathy,

The Legend is quite a wide ski, if you are thinking of the 8000. This is 80m at the waist and an off-piste ski mostly.
So whilst it will handle that well enough I don't think you will like it in the moguls.

Try the Head Monster 75. Feels light under foot, floats very well and easy to get round in knee high fresh snow on steep terrain. You can really throw this ski around and better than the B2 IMO. The only thing you will need to check out is how it handles on ice as I didn't have any.
If I was going on a high mountain route and didn't know what to expect in terms of terrian and conditions I would take this ski
as my first choice.
snow report
I did finally decide on skis! Smile I never had the opportunity to try the Head skis that you recommended...so Kathy you may want to demo those. I went with the K2 Burnin' Luv's in 153. It was a tough choice, they really are all great skis.

Kathy,
If you like to do moguls, you will be much happier with a shorter K2 than a longer one. I found I could get away with a longer B2 ski than with the K2 in bumps. If you want to go faster and really have some fun carving, the K2 160 is awesome...but obviously harder to ski moguls, as it is more of a carving ski. Personally, my ability to ski moguls is more about length than the flexibility...I like a ski that'll respond quickly. I like the K2 a lot better on steeps and groomed. The K2 is not much of a powder ski...but then, whenever I was on the K2 I had so much fun carving it compared to the B2, and the shorter one was quite fun in the moguls as well. Not a good ski for jumps. If I ever hit a huge powder day, I'll probably just head to a rental shop and rent a pair of powder skis (until I get my own wink haha) I did not get along well with the Dynastar...I felt my balance was too far forward when I wanted to ski it aggressively. If you'll be off-piste a whole lot, you may want to shy away from the K2...though I took it in just about everything and liked it except for that heavy deep snow. DEMO-ing is the best way to find a good fit. Go short unless you want speed.

Hope this helps...
Dana (long-winded tonight)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy