Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steeps

Poster: A snowHead
kuwait_ian, the eagle has landed?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laundryman, That 'eagle' looks very much like a Lammergeier or Bearded Vulture - yes I know I'm a sad anorak wearing twitcher. However these birds were part of a European release program back in the early 90's, if I remember correctly. I found out about it after seeing one of these monsters being mobbed by alpine choughs, we were sitting on a chair lift at La Grand Bornand at the time. You don't expect to see a bird with a 3 metre wingspan drift over your head.

CP
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In that case..

"I'm not dead, get off!"

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CP, you learn something new every day! I'll be on the lookout. Shock
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Leisse used to be a red run about 20 years ago
Putting aside resort gradings, this run proves (in a roundabout way) the point that "steep" depends on snow quality, not actual gradient. What's supposedly a difficult run may in practice not be difficult, depending on a lot of things besides gradient.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
but Manda, I can't see how anyone could consider that run black - moguls or no moguls (I do remember them). We had a new piste put in about 5 years ago. It's really a green run with steep red bits in the middle. They called it a red run, but hardly anyone skied it so after 2 years they changed it to blue......... Another was a red called "Le Rouge", part of the face - always pisted when I first came here. Now it's black and called "Y" and never pisted - the runs' the same ............
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is going to be my last word on the topic of speed; I really don't care what you believe, but I don't want to be misunderstood, or misquoted.

I never claimed to be going 100 mph on skis. To clarify, during my recorded speed, I saw someone
move directly into my line, and stood up out of my crouch to slow down in preparation to brake if needed. I was a last minute entry, and not everyone expected me to be there, so he may have been looking up the hill to see if I was actually on it (or maybe he coudn't believe anyone in a parka could be skiing so fast). I don't remember the exact speed, at the time it did not impress me; I believe it was sixty something. The ski instructor from whom I had been taking a lesson and who slipped my name into the event, seemed to think that I should be proud to have broken into the triple digits in kph. At the time I estimated that I had gone at least 30 percent faster on other runs. Which would be between 1.3x60 and 1.3 x 70 or 78 to 91 mph. This is only an estimation! I don't believe I have ever gone over 85mph on skis, though I do believe my fastest ever speed on skis is between 75 and 85. I don't care what you believe.

Though I was admittedly obsessed with speed in my youth, seeking out DH courses, sking after freezing rain, skiing cliffs that had run outs at the bottom, etc. I got over it. I'm now searching for a quick-turning small Radius skis to replace my long boards.

I have no problem passing people on normal runs; I feel a sense of duty to other skiers not to pass them at breakneck speeds when they are going 5 mph zig-zagging across a 4-m wide chute. It annoys me to no end when this chute also happens to be extremely steep and icy with a clear view of the runout at the bottom that leads onto a steep groomed run.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, this is the "black run" that I thought was easy cause it had plenty of snow on it. Even if it should really be a red, it still had plenty of snow on it, and that made it not as "difficult" as the red down into Val D. Point proved. Difficulty's not primarily about gradient, it's often more about snow quality.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Manda wrote:
easiski, this is the "black run" that I thought was easy cause it had plenty of snow on it. Even if it should really be a red, it still had plenty of snow on it, and that made it not as "difficult" as the red down into Val D. Point proved. Difficulty's not primarily about gradient, it's often more about snow quality.

It was you (or someone using your keyboard) who said :

Manda wrote:
Putting aside resort gradings, this run proves (in a roundabout way) the point that "steep" depends on snow quality, not actual gradient. What's supposedly a difficult run may in practice not be difficult,
depending on a lot of things besides gradient.

It's the Internet so switching horses mid-stream is the norm I suppose.

Difficult clearly depends on a mix of factors some objective and some subjective which makes "difficult" a subjective concept. Steep is the angle and is 100% objective and doesn't vary with snow condition or what you drank the night before, funnily enough that's what the dictionary says as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise wrote:
Steep is the angle and is 100% objective and doesn't vary with snow condition or what you drank the night before, funnily enough that's what the dictionary says as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself Smile

Edit:
Saying "this run is steep because it's icy" is no different than saying "this lemon is purple because it has a bumpy texture."
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ponder, what lemon? I've got a clementine, I think we're comparing apples and oranges here rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smile
Basically, steep is an adjective, and so is icy. They are both potential properties of a skiing run. The idea is that even though a run may be icy and difficult, this does not make it steep. The two words are totally unrelated. In the second quote, purple is an adjective, and so is bumpy. They are both potential properties of a fruit. However, like steep and icy (or narrow, gladed, etc. for that matter), they are totally unrelated to one another, and a fruit is not purple because it is bumpy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't care about steep runs, but it's not true to say that 'steep' is objective; 45 degrees is objective. In the absence of a definition, 'steep' is an indefinite, relative term, and it's meaning must be affected by the user's expectations and so on. I think that this thread was started to find out if there is a definition of 'steep' in skiing, and it seems that there isn't. I agree, 'though, that if a definition is needed, one based on the average gradient would be the most appropriate (and objective), ignoring width, quality of snow, bumps, hangovers, bottle and so on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How about a bit of Virage Sauté Pédale? (Pic 3 looks painful upon first examination)

Looks like a kick turn to me. But how many guides have you skied with that advise you not to kick turn on steeps? The article also mentions ithe windscreen wiper turns - any offers on this one?
ski holidays
Oh for crying out loud. I admit that I've been clunky with my wording, but you've got to be obtuse to carry on with the objection to my proposition that something described as "steep" may not necessarily appear steep on a photo, or feel "steep" when it's skied. It is possible to objectively measure gradient (am off to find a protractor and compass or whatever surveyors use). But you can't measure steep in the same way and arrive at the same certainty of answer. To this extent steep is synonymous with difficulty, steep is not another word for gradient.

There is a defintion of steep - we're all using it. And it is subjective and it does depend on the skier and snow conditions. But to expect the word "steep" to provide a suitable platform for a discussion about whether a given gradient is "difficult" (which is where this thread started from) is asking a bit much.

For the record I had much fun knocking off some standard black runs last week precisely because the gradient was softened by good snow. i.e. they weren't "steep".
latest report
Manda wrote:
Oh for crying out loud. I admit that I've been clunky with my wording, but you've got to be obtuse to carry on with the objection to my proposition that something described as "steep" may not necessarily appear steep on a photo, or feel "steep" when it's skied. It is possible to objectively measure gradient (am off to find a protractor and compass or whatever surveyors use). But you can't measure steep in the same way and arrive at the same certainty of answer. To this extent steep is synonymous with difficulty, steep is not another word for gradient.

A protractor ? An experienced skier would use an Inclinometer (if they wanted measure the slope) which you've presumably never heard of.
ski holidays
ise, but how many people have an inclinometer readily available to them ? A protractor and a string with a weight on are all that's really required wink

By the way on one of my better days I went through the speedgun on the Lauberhorn course at well over 90 kph, it would have been a bit faster but at the time I was avoiding the prats who were walking across the piste below me without looking uphill first rolling eyes But even I would have a hard time beating 70 Mph and there is no way I could approach the 100 Mph speeds that modern downhill racers get close to even if supplied with a suitable incentive wink
snow conditions
Manda, your definition is then 100% subjectives and hardly useful. My 8-year-old finds the nursery slope too easy, but the beginner slope challenging. My 10-year-old finds the nursery slope challenging. I don't find the slope challenging until you have to make sure that it can hold sufficient snow. Of course, I can make a slope challenging by choice of line, speed, and task (which is what I do while skiing with the family on the greens).

Steep for skiing, in my opinion, means a slope not easily groomed. Some of those may still be easy to ski for some (like D G Orf wink ), but if one falls, one slides for a ways. That's probably my principle definition: if you fall, you slide and have to climb for your gear, even while skiing at slower speeds.
latest report
All this argument and yet the only sure way of knowing when something is too steep is when an advanced skiier screams "holy f* I'm going to die" all the way down. Laughing
snow conditions
No really steep = you fall, you slide and you can't climb back for your gear so you have to wait for some kind soul to bring it down to you wink

Actually Alexandra may have the correct description Shocked

I only do steeps when I feel great and am running on autopilot, if I'm not in auto mode I always find a reason to take an easier route down Embarassed , if I am in auto mode I can take on any slope without a care Cool Sadly this year of my 2 weeks I had just one day when I went into auto mode Embarassed No skiing companion to take my mind of of my skiing you see Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 19-02-05 23:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Alexandra, or comes huffing past you with a "steep turns" mantra: "turn-or-die, turn-or-die..." Laughing snowHead
snow report
D G Orf, of course really steep and "you fall, you die..." Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I don't do that steep Shocked
ski holidays
Well, you could end up on a slope which is steep enough but it is the rocks below you that concentrate the mind.
Most runs I have been on and you can imagine you would survive the fall, its what you might hit that will do the damage..!!

Having said that I saw someone go top to bottom on Lavachette in Argentiere and that looked very very bad. And that is steep!
snow conditions
D G Orf, you know, I used to, but haven't in a while. I'm still adjusting to the new skis, I think. However, my goal over this next few days on skis (I'm up to Summit County tomorrow through Wednesday) is to see if I can't shift into my old confidence. We'll see!
snow report
ssh,

I seem to remember a very steep black mogul field in A basin. At least it looked that way in 1990 when I couldn't really ski it
snow conditions
ssh - I like "turn-or-die", it's so much more descriptive than my usual heavily repeated expletive. I'm converted! Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra, more dramatic is - go straight or die, sometimes the only option is to pray for a decent run out at the bottom of the slope Shocked
ski holidays
Really, really steep is definitely - you fall, you die

Really steep is - you fall you get hurt

Steep is - you fall, you slide, you're seriously inconvenienced and pretty scared by it.

However, if you're a beginner you'll think the first is a blue run, the second a green and the third a nursery slope! It's all very subjective isn't it?

We have more than one person a year killed on our black runs (usually the Combe Valentin), because they're not up to it, they fall, they slide and they hit something (tree, pylon, other skier). However that run is 32 deg at the top, so according to what's gone before on this thread it's not steep at all!!!!!!!!!! Shock
ski holidays
JT, it's steep. But not death-defying. I've skied all of A. It's great skiing, but not the steepest in-bounds skiing in the state, much less in the US...
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
D G Orf, you know, I used to, but haven't in a while. I'm still adjusting to the new skis, I think. However, my goal over this next few days on skis (I'm up to Summit County tomorrow through Wednesday) is to see if I can't shift into my old confidence. We'll see!
I had an absolutely tremendous weekend. I believe that I made the best ski turns of my life in the past few days! Plus, I skied some reasonably steep terrain with complete confidence (much of the terrain off the T-bar at Breck, including Horseshoe Bowl, Vertigo, the Boundary Chutes, and others). It was a really great weekend, and the new snow certainly improved things! I even skied steep trees with confidence! What fun! snowHead
ski holidays
ssh,
On your b5's..?

As for A basin, it only as I remember it..!!

There is another thread where someone mentions that a lot of manufacturers are copying the dimensions of the b5..!!
Don't want to hijack this thread tho'
snow conditions
ssh,

Sorry, have been away for a few days and have now caught up with all posts, so apologise for the cross threads
ski holidays
JT wrote:
ssh, On your b5's..?
On three of the four days, yes! And what fun arcing those tight turns down the piste and dropping into powder in the trees.
ski holidays
ssh,
Still trying to get on them, hopefully Engelberg will have them. Haven't tried the hire shops yet, still sorting out the trip!

I have heard that a few manufacturers may be copying the b5's concept but I don't know how true that may be, haven't seen any previews of skis except the Rossi B2
latest report
JT, Rossi's new Zenith series (check out the Z9!) is very much a Metron shape. There are some others, as well, but I don't remember specifics. The new Nordica Hot Rods are getting great reviews from my friends who have been on them (especially the Modified, which is 78mm under foot). They are not a "super shape" like the b5s, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy