Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift paranoiacs do not read

Poster: A snowHead
For the rest of you:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sports/Another+Whistler+chairlift+crashes+ground+Global/1317725/story.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Scores+accidents+resorts+unpublicized/1312806/story.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...err. think Whistler is off my list of destinations this year!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Metal fatigue Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow so many quotables in that second link:

The only level-one incident among the 52 falls occurred on Jan. 17 at Silver Star Mountain when a young male snowboarder failed to unload. His helmet caught on the chair seat and he remained “suspended by the helmet chin strap until rescued by ski resort personnel.”

:\
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It always makes me wonder why it is "uncool" to have the bar down when riding lifts in NA...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
It always makes me wonder why it is "uncool" to have the bar down when riding lifts in NA...

If you have to ask you're not cool wink

I suspect its down to legacy reasons that many people who grew up skiing as kids got used to riding chairs without safety bars (and in many cases without significant exposure). Also its not the lack of safety bars that in itself causes accidents but rather faffing, not sitting properly etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, then again i sometimes wear sunglasses with a helmet Laughing

Quote:

Also its not the lack of safety bars that in itself causes accidents but rather faffing, not sitting properly etc.

could be but it scares the sh*t out of me if the bar isnt down and a chair starts swinging around...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we skiied Alta, ther wasn't a safety bar *fitted* to the chair, so there was nothing to put down!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
a young male snowboarder failed to unload. His helmet caught on the chair seat and he remained “suspended by the helmet chin strap

I thought that snowboarders were supposed to ride like that on lifts. If not, what exactly is the point of them wearing helmets?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowhead helmets on line here Toofy Grin
http://www.snowhead.co.uk/shop_2008_2009/ski_helmets.php
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:

i'm from canada and grew up (stupidly) riding with the bar up 90% of the time despite not liking heights. i think it's just conditioning: most kids in NA learn to ski on daytrips or evening sessions with their schools at small resorts near the cities. most of the lifts there are (1) quite short, and (2) have no footrests, so there isn't as much incentive to put it down. combine that with trying to impress your little mates with very little adult supervision, and there's your reasons.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman wrote:

whistler has a storied history with lifts... back in the 90s whistler was the place where detachable (i.e. high speed) chairs first demonstrated a worrying tendency to jump off the cable during to the up and down bouncing that follows an emergency stop.

lucky no one was on the chair. if it was straight up metal fatigue on the bolt, i'd be curious to know who the manufacturer was. anyone ride the harmony chair lately?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The 90s issues with detach chairs at Whistler were Yan (Lift Engineering) lifts. part of the issue was use of so called gravity grips. All Yan detach lifts have either been heavily modified and retrofitted with new grips or completely replaced.
latest report
Quote:

Went to Whistler in late January confident that all its lifts would have been minutely checked in view of the incident, and so it proved. I heard that all Canadian ski resorts had been ordered by the government to check all their systems within a week.
Also travelled in the new Peak to Peak gondola four times. Longest unsupported span in the world for a cable gondola, over 1000 feet above the valley floor in the middle Shocked and very picturesque. Four times was enough, though - what happens if that goes wrong? Puzzled
ski holidays
SkiGranny wrote:

Also travelled in the new Peak to Peak gondola four times. Longest unsupported span in the world for a cable gondola, over 1000 feet above the valley floor in the middle Shocked and very picturesque. Four times was enough, though - what happens if that goes wrong? Puzzled

You probably have long enough to write your will before you hit the ground Smile
snow report
SkiGran wrote:
- what happens if that goes wrong? Puzzled

Something bad.

pistehors wrote:
...The opening of this cable car was marred by tragedy. On the 13th of January 1989, a week before the planned opening, the cable car slid and fell 200 meters from its cable killing eight passengers....
latest report
weel we are off to whistler in a 2 weeks so hopefully there won't be any more problems Puzzled

am looking forward to trying the peak to peak snowHead maybe we'll take a parachute just in case
snow conditions
My paranoia is justified then.
Bring back the draglifts I say.
ski holidays
arnt most of these incidents people doing stupid things rather than the lifts breaking.. bloke trying to get wife on chair gets knocked over.. bloke hangs onto chair and goes past net.. woman falls over on conveyer thing..
ski holidays
rob and sharon, Good luck with that. Wink
latest report
SkiGranny wrote:
Quote:

Went to Whistler in late January confident that all its lifts would have been minutely checked in view of the incident, and so it proved.

So after this minute detailed check a chair falls off the cable <2 months later wink
snow report
Peter S, shall we start on the drag lift horror stories next? Shocked
latest report
fatbob,

Quote:

So after this minute detailed check a chair falls off the cable <2 months later

What was this? I haven't seen anything about this. Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

Oooh yes, lets. My sister was on her very first drag lift and the person behind her fell over, pinging the button towards her, striking her head and making a huge gash. Blood all over the snow, bloodwagon etc. etc. OMG did I mention head injury....
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:

I have a drag lift horror story - but will refrain from telling unless people really want to know. Quite gory. I'll stick to the chairs.
snow report
more horror stories!

[ i wont be on a chairlift for some time Cry ]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we are off to whistler in a 2 weeks

These been two already and these this happen in three's - you know Twisted Evil
snow report
SkiGranny, The clue is in the opening link.
ski holidays
The point about a draglift is that you carn't fall out of the sky from one and if it breaks down you aren't going to die of exposure. snowHead
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
The point about a draglift is that you carn't fall out of the sky from one and if it breaks down you aren't going to die of exposure. snowHead

But you can get severe cable lash injuries if one snaps under tension - I'm pretty sure gruesome deaths like this are a feature of some teen horrror movies - Final destination maybe (not involving ski tow).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy