Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question on Ryanair baggage....can someone help me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
oh its Swiss is now in the charging camp Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Presumably religious weighing accounts for some folk's ability to walk on water? Toofy Grin

Really guys, hibernia is right don't you think? To expect an airline to carry you and your ski paraphernalia to the mountains for 10 bob each way is neither realistic nor environmentally sustainable. "Cheap fare" airlines are exploiting niches, but I don't see how the ski market can fit into one of their small cracks. Some of us seem to carry more in our day packs than they allow for luggage Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with Alan. Ten years ago, I used to pay in the region of £250 for a return flight to Switzerland. For that I got a seat on a plane, 25Kg luggage allowance, a cup of tea and a newspaper.

I now fly easyJet and get (for my £39.50), a seat on the plane and 30Kg luggage allowance (inc 10 for sports equipment). If I want a cup of tea and a paper it will cost me an extra £2.50.

Whose complaining?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith,

I've got an expensive set of scales at home (the type that also measure fat and water content). The method I used was to weigh myself and then myself plus bag and I did it a number of times to be on the safe side.

On the way back I put one of my boots in my hand luggage to avoid any excess but the Italian side are a bit more, well . . . Italian.

Most of my friends were in a similar position, in that their bags appeared to weigh more and presumably it was a similar situation for most of the other people in the queue to pay excess baggage.

Short of turning up with a 15 kg weight I think it would be quite hard to prove anything one way or the other. I suppose next time I could take 15, 1 litre bottles of water and get them to weigh that but that would cost more than the excess. And what am I going to do ? Hold up the whole queue whilst I argue the toss (with the nice lady who happens to be sat at the check in desk).

Perhaps there's a local gravity anomoly.

I'll be even more religous about pre-weighing (if there's a) next time and take up D G Orf's suggestion.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't get me wrong, Nick. It's just that this is a public forum, and anything which implies dishonesty must be factual, otherwise we're all in deep doo-doo.
It's best - as DGO suggests - to report your suspicions to the authority responsible for Stansted Airport (if it was there) and they will check out the accuracy of the scales.
The other points made by posters above I'd agree with. We've enjoyed a huge fall in airfares, so it's not surprising that airlines are looking for other ways to make up the revenue loss. The honeymoon of 'something for nothing' may be over.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't say I'm surprised that low cost airlines are fundamentalist in their approach to excess baggage: after all, it's a good way to supplement their income.

I've never had any problem carrying on my boot bag on scheduled flights: only on low cost and charter. It's never been queried by security, either.

Frankly, I think weight allowance should be an all-up weight. I object to getting the same luggage allowance as someone who's already carrying on an extra 15kg in (usually unsightly) flesh. (Potentially my worst experience was a flight to Australia with my 20-stone neighbour overflowing his seat: fortunately the plane wasn't full, so I was able to change my seat once we got airborne).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To stick up for Mr O'Leary or at least his check in staff I have yet to be charged the £15 ski surcharge. The nice smile and oh I didn't realise seems to work quite well! Can be coupled with "I have never paid on Easyjet" if the going gets tough.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the subject of scales, I checked in for a Ryanair flight in Reus with 16kg of hold baggage, but didn't get charged. During my stay in the UK I with help drank the 10 lt of red wine that was in the baggage (in plastic bottles) added 2 half pound packs of mature cheddar cheese to my baggage, upon placing my bag on the scales at Stansted for the return it showed 17kg!!! but I was not charged, the next person had 22kg and was also not charged. I suspect the lady on check in knew there was a fault.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dypcdiver - As I said above you may get away with it if you are slightly over the limit and arrive early at check-in. Basically its just a matter of removing a few things to your hand luggage and all is OK. I was 9kg at Stansted and charged; but on my return from Shannon was only slightly over the limit ( was indeed lighter ) but got away with it. Cannot understand why the person who had 22kg was not charged Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, update on luggage, but we flew with Easyjet. Checked in the skibag (2prs of skis), but then were told that ski boot bags also counted towards the sporting allowance of 10kg each. So we were about 10 kilos over. They then weighed the other baggage, which was well under the limit, as most of the ski stuff was wrappde around the skis. As we were well under they agreed to waive the excess charge. However, they then made us check in the boot bags as oversized luggage, much to the amusement of the airport security. On the return journey, we considered buying a cheap holdall to put the boots in, as the assistant at Newcastle admitted ''they could only tell they were ski boots by the shape of the bag'' . However, we didn't, and at Nice, they took them on as normal baggage, and didn't even weigh the skis. Tip-next time you replace your boot bag , buy one of those holdalls with pockets at either end for your ski boots-they'll never know!!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The reason Ryaniar is getting snotty over baggage size and allowances is that he’s now in the business of commercial air freight. If all your stuff is limited in weight and stuffed in the overhead, he has a blooody great empty space under your feet. He may apparently be one of life’s bar-stewards but he’s certainly not stupid!
This is an old trick that used to be used by all the national carriers. It’s the fat buts of US citizens that killed this with many airlines and spawned the rise of so many air freight companies . . . who are making serious money. O’Leary saw this and is leveraging a share of the Euro market by restricting your baggage allowance. I’d rather make a kebab with my nuts than fly with his airline for his attitude toward his customers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had no problem last week taking a boot-bag on as hand luggage, But if they have something against them on principal (even though they conform to the Ryanair defenition of what hand-luggage is OK, so I can't see why they should object) then why not put them in some other type of bag.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Ryanair charge the same for a double skibag as a single, so if you take 2 pairs between you - put them together in one bag and pay half as much.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy