Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I try the Valley Blanche

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am off to chamonix on saturday and i was thinking of trying the valley blanch with my friends (definietly with a tour guide).

I have just read an article which basically terrified me and now I am not sure if it is a good idea. To give you an idea we count ourselves red run competent (but dont really do black runs)....have skiied about 5 times and are generally a fit and competitive bunch.

Do you think we would be capable of doing the valley blanche with a guide? We like a challenge but dont want to take unnecessary risks.

Any advise?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been there myself but apparently the only scary bit is the 'ridge walk' at the start, which you avoid if you go up the Italian side from Courmayeur...

I'm going to Courmayeur myself in 2 weeks' time but I won't be doing the vallée blanche as I'm strictly piste-only...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife went with a guide last year and one of the party (it was an ESF guided one) snow ploughed most of the way down.
From what she said the initial approach was the worst part. 6 folk with no crampons roped up to a guide... If you have a rucksack that you can attach your skis to then bring it along.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if it hasn't snowed for a while and the run is therefore well skied out and like a piste, it would be doable. if there is fresh snow, it could be a real epic if you aren't used to skiing in powder

on the french side, you have the ridge walk which is certainly "interesting" if you have no mountaineering experience. it is pretty safe (ie 1000s of people do it every year without falling off) but it is exposed. as queen bodecia says you can do it from the italian side and miss out the ridge - i haven't tried that myself
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went from the Courmayeur side a couple of years ago with an ESF guide, and you do miss out the ridge walk. It hadn't snowed for a while and it was well tracked out. We had a 'competent red run' ski-ier in our party and he coped fine. We could only ski to where the cog railway goes from (Montenvers?) and the last bit of the route was reasonably flat. The scenery is spectacular.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sunnek,

The guide will tell you to stop where he wants you to stop..and you must be able to do this. The ridge is an introduction to high alpine skiing and the views are fantastic.

You will ski a big flat top section which steepens a little and then leads to a path all the way pretty much. The steeper section ( red run gradient) is the only tricky bit as it is likley to be chopped up a bit or bumpy , but since you aren't looking for powder, this might help you...You will need a good side-slip on the path as you are likely to meet other groups bottlenecking there.

If you like the sound of it ....and for a 5 weeker..it will be real adventure but not way beyond you, IMO...pick the best weather day you can by looking at the weather forecats as you want the best day for scenery and all round enjoyment. If anyone is struggling, then it is better to struggle in the sun....... if for no other reason...Laughing
If it has recently snowed..that will trick up your day as far as you are concerned unless you can handle deep snow...but if it hasn't snowed then the paths and routes will be well travelled...

It will take you the best part of a day so be prepared to carry what you need... which should mean energy bars and drink. There is a hut for food but you could be very tired by then.
Strong sun screan and good sunglasses/googles are a must and don't forget to take what you must have..you a re about 4 hours away from the town...

That is why you take a guide..to look after you....buy carre niege for the Midi/VB lift even if you don't have it normally
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll be fine with a guide, I agree with what's said above - the main thing is to be able to follow the guide's instructions. Do not be tempted by fields of untracked powder! I'd imagine that you can go right to the base at the moment as the snow is so good. Keep an eye on the weather as you want a sunny day above all else, it's the views that make it special. The arete is scary but you have plenty to hold onto (massive posts and thick ropes), so unless someone has really crippling vertigo I wouldn't worry.

Where's this scary article btw?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-02-09 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did it 20+ years ago after 6 weeks skiing (including 3 weeks lessons). No problem.

As others have mentioned - the ridge is fun but high. The VB is - perhaps - a high alpine experience rather than a great ski run. And there will be lots of people on it with you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been told that it can be unpleasant on a board as there are some very long flat sections.

To be honest, the Arete would scary the bejesus out of me as I have a fear of heights. I was not comfortable at the edge of the terraces of the AdM cable car station so seriously doubt I could do the Arete.

Here's a couple of pictures taken at the end of December...

Looking down on the Arete

The Arete from the side

The start of the VB

By the way, on this particular day you could see for several hundred miles. If I ever plucked up the courage to do the Arete (or went via Cormy) that's the weather I would want to do it in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker, nice pics!

It's fine on a board as long as you're confident doing traverses, and really belt it down the last bit to get enough speed for the flat. The only time you might have trouble with the flats is if there is tons and tons of powder, in which case it will all have been worth it anyway! I take a ski pole on my backpack in case I need to Gondolier any bits.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks firebug.

I've just sat and looked at these pictures for the last 10 minutes. It truly was one of the most beautiful vistas I have ever seen. There is no way the Arete is going to stop me doing the VB!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sunnek wrote:
I have just read an article which basically terrified me and now I am not sure if it is a good idea.

You might want to read the thread called something like 'the valle blanche is not a ski piste'. Remember that last year Phil Tate was doing nothing wrong and was with a guide when he took his board off to walk a flat section the others in his group had skiied across, and that was the last time he was seen alive. I don't want to put you off, and to put this in perspective I intend to do the Valle several time this year, but be aware of where your going, it's a glacier.

Just my opinion, as someone who's spent time talking about this with Phils closest friends.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sunnek, if you do it it's a great days skiing, your guide will asses your ability and vary your route accordingly. As the photos show it really is a high mountain route and you'll see a very different vista to a normal piste, the seracs in particular are an amazing sight.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't do it 'cos I'm strictly a piste-basher Madeye-Smiley . My friend (more of a ski mountaineer) did it a few years ago and had to be helicoptered out with a damaged knee (6 weeks in plaster....) But don't let me put you off!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked at those great pics and it took me back to when I did it about 5 years ago. Great weather then too. Yes the arrette is scary but our guide was excellent (sorry can't remember his name) and took us across some excellent terrain. We had a boarder in our group whom we took it in turns to give a tow to when on the flat lower sections.

Go do it Smile
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Thanks firebug.

I've just sat and looked at these pictures for the last 10 minutes. It truly was one of the most beautiful vistas I have ever seen. There is no way the Arete is going to stop me doing the VB!

Great, loads of "intermediate" skiers do it. The photos don't quite show the drop from the arrete in its full glory. A fall from either side leads to ski-diving. I realised that I was scared of heights when I went up for a reckie. The altitude is impressive too - I was a bit light headed just being there, and an old guy threw up in the telecabin (nice smell!)

Enjoy the experience. I am determined to do it myself one day......
latest report
I've never yet seen a pic that quite captures the sharpness of the arete!

It is riskier on a board, there is no two ways about it, those were horrifying accidents last year. And I think it is good to read those articles and discussions, with a view to minimising your own risk.

here's me admiring some ice tho. It *is* beautiful.

In front of the glacier
latest report
sunnek, from memory, it goes something like this:

Walking the arête. No real difficulty, but you need a head for heights. (It was snowing when I did it, so couldn't see the drops!)

Fairly easy descent onto the glacier - might be tricky if fresh snow and you're not used to it.

Long, shallow gradient section on glacier - dead easy

Narrow bumpy section to side of glacier - not steep, so no real issues.

Steepish, longish descent to the side of seracs. This is the tricky bit. You can't stop anywhere (snow bridge hazards), so you must have the stamina/strength to do it in one go (the less technique, particularly balance, that you have, the more strength/stamina you will require). You must also be able to follow the guide accurately (1m tolerance) - side slip, snowplough, whatever it takes - elegance doesn't matter.

Long, shallow section on glacier. Crevasses which mean you have to be able to stop behind guide and ice bridges which require the accuracy. Much easier than previous section though, because it's shallow and smooth.

Either ski/walk/scramble back to Chamonix or take the lift up to the train station to get back.

I think people tend to forget that steep middle section. Once you're committed at the Aiguille you have to ski out, so it's worth thinking about IMO.
latest report
This was taken from the viewing platform at the top of the Aiguille du Mid before you wander out on to the arrette but you get the idea (hopefully) - looks down on to Chamonix in case you are wondering.

This one shows the arrette from the bottom

Hmm - Think I want to do it again now Shocked
snow report
Did it 3 weeks ago. This
http://youtube.com/v/_oGoJlSsuSE shows you how we found it. There are a number of routes and we didn't go the regular route. You have to remember that the guide has about 4 turns to suss your ability and s/he will stop you if s/he thinks you can't do it. Therefore you won't be taking unnecessary risks, but you need to be sure that you'll enjoy it. I think the weather is an important call too. Next week looks a bit changeable...It's all good all the way to the bottom at the moment. Take a picnic and don't bother with the refuge, more hassle than it's worth going under the searacs. If you'd like a guide recommendation pm me.
ski holidays
I have no head for heights at all and I was very worried about the arrette, but in truth it was fine. There is usually a handrail on either side of the arrette and the snow in between is so compacted that there's a lip at the edge as well. Have a look at the
Ski Sunday guys doing it to see what I mean.

Besides, I went with an eight year old (niece of the guide) - so I would have felt foolish being nervous.

By far the worst bit is the walk up to the stairs to the railway at the end wink
latest report
hi there,

i completed the vallee blanche while staying in courmayeur in march 08.
tbh it not at difficult (that is to say it is not!)as it is made out to be but obv you wud have to go with a guide!
the first part is probs the hardest part.

When I went the sun was shining and the views were magnificent - its well worth doing it just for them!
As it had not snowed ina while when i completed it it was pretty much just like a huge mogul field and pretty busy!
- so be prepared for them!

Definetly recommend doing it!Wink
snow report
I skied the Vallee blanche 12 yrs ago from the courmayeur side. It was only my 4th skiing holiday and I'm a fairly cautious skiier. I found it a wonderful experience. I think you need to be fit and have the stamina to do a decent days skiing. I think it takes some hours to get down to Chamonix (we did last bit by mountain railway) then if you are going back to courmayeur the coach drops you on the far side of the resort so you have to ski several runs in Courmayeur home. If it is a clear sunny day it is a beautiful run and it is my most memorable days skiing.
latest report
I've skied the VB twice in the last few years my first time was only after 20 days on snow with an almighty hang over. My mate lives in Cham and he always advises people to use an English guide as they will insist on crampons, harness and being roped together. Take a rucksack so you can tie your skies onto so your hands are free as there is usually one if not two rope guides to hold onto. After all that the arete is not that scary or difficult but the kit makes you feel safe as there can be some big steps down in the snow dependent on how many people have gone down before you. As for the ski it's pretty straight forward, as has been said before if its not snowed it can be very smooth. the views are amazing and it's a terrific experience take a packed lunch and have a great day
snow report
P.S. you can hire all the gear from the ski hire shop. Whilst your there go up to argentier and ski on Grand Montet for an amazing day
snow conditions
These pictures look amazing! Right that's it, I'm off!
snow conditions
Too scared, I think. Embarassed Pity - it looks so, so beautiful.
ski holidays
I read all of this before a trip in March -and laundryman's description above is very fair.

I'd add a few more bits to it

Don't strap skis to your rucksack unless it's designed for it - you need two straps per ski to stop them twisting.

We had a 70km wind at -10 on the ridge - the cable car stopped after we'd set of walking down the ridge. A hood up inside a helmet, plus goggles was essential.

I thought the rope handrail on the ridge stopped it feeling really exposed, but it is a long way down both sides. Some people were quite nervous.

My combination of fitness and skill (reds ok, easy blacks a bit scrappy) wasn't quite good enough to fully appreciate it as it was an effort, and I was the weakest in our party but I'm very glad I did it and never felt really uncomfortable - the conditions were quite icy but I've been much more uncomfortable on tricky blacks.

We nearly had a epic at the end - we climbed the stairs to get the lift to the train but the lift wasn't running - so our guide led us up the slope on foot - probably the most dangerous and certainly most physical thing we did all day. We caught the last train with zero time to spare, avioding another 6km on foot.

Overall, I think the fact that people say that 'if you can ski reds you can do it' is very true (except in deep powder I'd imagine) but can be misinterpreted as "its like a red" cos its not.

It is a unique experience - a very long high mountain experience that is very accessible and shared by many. But take a guide, wear the right kit, watch the clock (though your guide should be doing that) and the fitter you are the more you'll enjoy it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll probably need to sideslip this bit...

Keep tight here...

Open the throttles here...

Do not turn right or left here...

And mind your head at the end.

Wink
snow report
bad_roo, great pictures.

I gather there are different ways down, some more difficult than others, and some very difficult. Do the descriptions above apply to the easy route? If so, I think I might just stick to watching from the top of the Aiguille......
snow conditions
Pam,

Just fooling around! All but the fourth one are on alternative routes down from the Midi.
snow report
ha ha wink
latest report
bad_roo, yes it was the first pic that made me think that it might be something I'll never get to do Shocked
snow report
If a talentless hack like me can get down!
snow report
Quote:

If a talentless hack like me can get down!

bad_roo, but I never believe stuff like that!!!! "Talentless hack" they say, then out-ski everyone on the mountain.
ski holidays
pam w, I keep going back to look at bad_roo's first pic, am drawn to it. I don't know why because it makes me feel like it's me and am totally totally frozen, beyond even side-slipping Shocked Laughing
snow report
Great pictures but you didn't fool me for a minute cos I know i'd be a gibbering wreck on all of these (except the fourth I gues cos I did manage it!). pam w, my description is for the normal tourist route and as I said if you can ski red you can do it but that doesn't mean its anything like a red piste! And I am a genuine talentless hack who is outskied by the vast majority on the mountain!
ski holidays
bad_roo's photos are brilliant. Want.

I'm such a wally. I was in Courmayeur only last year, on a gorgeous blue sky sort of a day, and bimbled around on its rubbish pistes all day instead of paying a few pence to go and do the VB. Wah.
ski holidays
paulio, well if you visit the sites of those photos next year, and do the descent under the Aiguille du Midi, you will remember to take some pics for us, won't you?
snow report
pam w, If I ever do it I'll video the whole thing top to bottom. Promise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy