Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix prone to closure during high winds?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anyone know if Chamonix is prone to closing when the winds are up? It looks like the winds could be pretty high this weekend and I am planning on heading to Chamonix. However I would like to know what's it's like there during high winds? Does the whole resort tend to close down (ala Cervinia) or is it pretty well sheltered? I have never been there so a total newbie wrt Chamonix

Diarmuid
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(this may not be true)

the cable car up to Flegere can be closed quite easily by high winds, the other main routes up are more robust.

If the Flegere car is closed, go up Brevant and take the cable across, as it is likely to be the quietest spot in the valley.

There are many ways up in the cham valley so one or more may be sheltered. The new bubble up from vallorcine seemed to be quite sheltered, so maybe it would still be running if others are closed.

I did not try it, but apparently using the new bubble up can be quite a lot quicker than the queues at le Tour.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Diarmuid, depends very much on where exactly you plan to go. Some of the ski areas are quite low and well sheltered in the valley but the higher areas, like Argentiere are vulnerable to closure (due both to wind and avalanche risk - so if this weeks snow fall is heavy and then it gets windy... ).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience the Grand Montets lift at Argentiere (the one right up to the top) gets closed fairly regularly due to high winds, and also the cable to the top of the Aiguille du Midi. All the others are pretty immune (although Herse gets f***ing chilly), and Herse and Bochard both give good skiing for all except the hardest nuts (although the Poubelle couloir, just off the top of Bochard, strikes me as several steps beyond crazy).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

(although the Poubelle couloir, just off the top of Bochard, strikes me as several steps beyond crazy).

Isn't that the one where Plake did a back flip over a crevass in Blizzard of Ahhs? Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

(although the Poubelle couloir, just off the top of Bochard, strikes me as several steps beyond crazy).

Isn't that the one where Plake did a back flip over a crevass in Blizzard of Ahhs? Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big G, no, that's off the Aigullie du Midi.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy