Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's snowing in La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Fresh snow now in La Rosiere, started this morning. The local meteo were right on the button with their forecast.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hooray. Looking at various long range forecasts, the Alps are looking more promising.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hooray, Horray I looked at the weather forecast yesterday which showed snow falling for a few days. Lets hope so. We will be in La Ros on the 30th Jan and will try and find Chalet Le Mouflon for future reference. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and if you've got no place to go (till 27th March wink ) LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW" Very Happy snowHead (As just sung by Dean "The Snowman" Martin)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In conjunction with his notorious drinking, someone once said of Dean Martin, "He's been over more bars that the Chinese pole vault team".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark Hunter, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't let it all blow away before the 30th - will be there then too, Chambery permitting!- need some more runs open. Also need soft stuff to land on Blush
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David@traxvax, Keep it coming until I get there next month, and then the sun can come out again !! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Resort snow depth report indicates 30cm more than yesterday top and bottom, with more to come Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's still snowing, quite a few runs which haven't been pisted are closed, looks as if Mark Smith & famille have chosen the right week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Noo the right week will be commencing the 30th when the week before will have snowed nicely leaving a glorious sunny week for the kids and us to enjoy. Very Happy

Don't want much do we? Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Double snowflakes tommorrow on meteo.fr
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, La Rosieres' snow depth report had not been changed as of an hour or so ago. Where are you looking to be able to note that the snow dept has increased by 30cm?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris B snow depth is updated daily, so you won't see any change until tomorrow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the resorts snow report showed that increase this morning, but then changed back to yesterdays and now I can't get it at all! Luckily I sent it on to someone then so here it is
THE SNOW Last snow fall the 18/01/2005
Resort ref. alt. : 1850 m Skiability :
Resort whiteness : Snow quality : Fresh Snow @ Top : 100 cm
Bck to resort / skis : Avalanche risk : 3/5 Snow @ Bottom : 80 cm

OPEN RUNS AND LIFTS
Lifts : 18 / 20 4/5 green 13/15 blue 6/11 red 1/5 black

Runs : 24 / 36 Country ski : 6 km traced, of which 6 km skating
Link "Espace San Bernardo" : Closed

WEATHER
Today Forecast (D+1)

Temperatures Wind
-10 °C (14°F) Top 10 km/h NW
-9 °C (15.8°F) Bottom 0 km/
snow report
David didn't it snow yesterday?
latest report
All day.
latest report
Snow report updated, don't know why I could only just access todays report but anyway as Frosty has indicated depths now 100cm and 80 cm respectively. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 20-01-05 9:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Chris B, Phew....... am usually very good at getting it wrong wink
snow report
Oh Happy days, Very Happy still cannot see anything from the web cam in La Ros. Very Happy Snow report now indicates 100cm and 88cm respectively. Very Happy
ski holidays
So how's it going in Ros now? - looks like quite a few runs are closed at the moment. Snow depths rather promising - bring it on for us!(hope it warms up slightly for next week!)
snow report
helenjane, still snowing today, lots of runs not pisted. Forecast is for more snow until Weds, then colder clearer weather.
latest report
There's great snow everywhere around BSM and yesterday in the trees around Vallandry and Arc16/18 it was 4 hours of magic, I've never sweated or laughed so much!!! And no boogering around with ancient drag lifts in La Roz, it's the first week in years I haven't come home with a pinched left nut! Even got kuwait Ian off the smooth stuff for a few metres.
What's really a bummer is . . . a) I'm back home and . . . b) Spawn of Masque is umm 'quite good' and getting better!
Achillies held up, but only with waaaay toooo much pain relief and some very sloppy riding . . . rehab's going to be a longer journey than I anticipated . . . Sad
latest report
Just spoken to my daughter, she estimates they've had over a metre of snow in the past 36 hrs, on top of the metre that's accummulated since last Tues and it's still snowing. The meteo now says snow until Thurs.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 24-01-05 11:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
David@traxvax, Does she say what the skiings like? Has the snow stuck ti the piste? In fact any little tempter would be great.
ski holidays
They gettiing it in La Thuile as well?
ski holidays
Mar, I'd think this is pretty much across the region. They haven't been out since Sat when the snow was sticking but a lot of runs were closed because they hadn't been pisted. Meteo is now forecasting more snow until Thurs.
snow report
Hi Mark,

Just got back from La Thuile yesterday. It took us the best part of five hours to get back to Turin airport because of snowfalls around La Thuile and Courmayeur. HOWEVER... out of the fifty or so runs on the linked piste map for L.T. and La Ros. only seven were accessible from the Italian side 3 blues and 4 blacks.

High winds have shut down nearly all the lifts excpet for the gondola and a couple of buttons. Spoke to a couple of ski instuctors who told me that the winds are always very strong in January and lift closures are quite common at this time of year. Why don't the tour operators put this in their brochures for this resort?!!!! I'm very dissapointed that what appears to be common knowledge amongst the locals isn't being publicized in the holiday brochures as it would have certainly influenced my choice of destination.

A complete waste of a week's skiing........
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to hear that Clive. La Thuille must really be suffering this year. We were in La Ros 4 weeks ago and whilst it was good on the French side, over the border it was pretty much shut.

You're right about the TOs. They really should, IMHO, be accountable for what they offering. Whilst one can't guarantee snow etc, useful local info would make the decision making process less of a lottery.

NB - Note to admin/mods, is it worth having a section on the Resorts info where local, useful information like the example above can be entered? At least this would provide useful reference points.
ski holidays
Clive, a very useful point. It's certainly been a very mixed January but Januaries can be significantly worse than early 2005. If it's any comfort to you the late 1980s saw full snow droughts right through the month. No wind, but no snow at all in many resorts!

Try skiing later in the season if you want to be more sure of a good holiday - the weather usually calms down a lot, and the accumulated snow base usually provides excellent conditions on the higher slopes. Those in the know ski in mid April on north-facing slopes above 1800m, avoiding all crowds when Easter falls nice and early (like this year).
ski holidays
Clive, January is cheap for a reason - no-one wants to go then. The main reason may be that we've all taken time off work or spent all our money on other family stuff over Christmas, but as you found out, the weather can be dodgy as well.

If I could ski at any point in the season it would be 1st week in Feb (before school holidays, still quite cheap but less chance of white-outs than January) for low resorts, and 3rd week in Mar (before Easter and crowds/thaws but still warm enough for beer on the terrace, and either powder or spring snow, sometimes both!) for high resorts.
snow report
Clive, It must have been your bus that kept us waiting in the plane then. We spent about half an hour extra travelling off the mountain in snow chains but our driver had no problem picking up speed after that. Did you stay in Planibel?

Why do you say a waste of a week skiing. We had a wonderful time in the snow. Prepared to put up with the wind and restricted pistes we just enjoyed pottering about on the thick snow on the pistes. Great for non off piste types to enjoy pottering in the thick stuff. My only confession would be that we took in a couple of the closed runs, but we weren't alone in doing so!!

On January 19th the snow was great but couldn't get over to La Ros because the drags hadn't been pisted by the French. The lift attendants that we spoke to said that this happened often, and having sampled the different prices and quality of food on the mountain I know why. The La Ros people must be crossing in their droves to eat in the Italian restaurants. (Four euros for a litre of wine above La Thuille before the last run down, marvellous!).
ski holidays
Cymru, the link is always the last area to open after a snow fall, I suppose because it's the furthest away from the village. The Col gets huge amounts of snow and is more wind blown on the Italian side than the French. Traffic does depend on weather conditions, before Christmas, it was virtually one way Italy to France simply because there were much better conditions in France. You do get lots of Italian skiers coming over to enjoy sunnier conditions, especially in Dec and Jan. It's often the case that if the weather is indifferent in La Rosiere, then it'll be better in La Thuile and vice-versa. I go to Italy to ski some of the steeps down to the village and to enjoy the runs through the trees. A couple of them are amongst the best mountain restuarants I've ever found, Lo Reindet alongside pista 7 and Le Rascard near the nursery slope.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-01-05 13:18; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Hi Cymru,

Yep, we were at the Planibel and it took our coach driver nearly an hour and a half just to get off the complex! He kept on having to swap his chains from front to back and back again to negotiate the tight turns and slopes around the village. He even managed to demolish one of the little posts protecting the building on the turn opposite La Bricole.

Skiing wise, the main problem was that my other half is a (very) nervous second-weeker so we particularly chose La Thuile for its extensive blues and reds. As few of the blues and none of the reds were open for most of the week (and off piste isn't an option for either of us), we couldn't really do much apart from pooter along from the top of 20 down to the bottom of 11. We then had to endure being snow-blasted for 20 minutes by gale force winds on the two button lifts that get you to the top of 20 again. 4 days of this did tend to put a dampener on the holiday.
snow report
Clive, Sorry to hear that. I remember a conversation in the face of the hurricane that I remarked how handy it was that we were all sufficiently skilled to handle the conditions, and with decent gear on could even enjoy it.
Were you hotel or apartments? We were a sizable group in the hotel (Tambini group actually). Must have seen you at some point!! Had my 50th there so maybe kept you awake as well.
snow conditions
SO, is anyone brave enough to venture an opinion on next weeks skiing in Ros, because I'm getting just a weeny bit excited now!! wink
ski holidays
2 more sleeps and we're there Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Chris B, not sure tomorrow night counts as a sleep, unless you've got a very civilised flight time!!
snow conditions
Very true. 10am from Stansted, leaving the house at 5am Very Happy
ski holidays
Hope you have a good week helenjane,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy