Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rucksacs / backpacks ...

Poster: A snowHead
For the last few years I've been skiing with my pockets full of the usual skiing junk (goggles/sunglasses/suncream/hat/camera, etc...). This year, however, having invested in a new jacket, I'm determined that enough is enough!

I'm therefore in the market for a backpack/rucksac but would appreciate advice/guidance from those in the know and who regularly ski with them... which model (if any!) is the perfect rucksac in terms of size / capacity / ability of wearer to sit on chairlifts and be relatively comfortable, etc...??

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I picked up a large black bumbag years ago that converts into a small rucksack unfortunately I cant remember who made it. Possibly Eagle Creek, great cos most of the time I just use it as a bumbag but if it gets hot I can take off the jacket and fit it in the rucksack. You only want a small pack unless ski touring, something less than 30L capacity but look for light weight, comfortable shoulder straps, a belt big enough to go round all that ski gear, plus more than one pocket so you dont have to dive to th ebottom of teh bag to get one item, big enough pockets to take jaket, goggles, camera, ski wax or whatever else you carry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski with one of two 35-40L packs - one with side pockets (Wynnster Scorpion 35) and one without (MacPac Tuatara) but with compression straps to reduce the volume, and that will also allow me to mount the skis on my back for any hikes. They also double as daypacks for summer hikes, and shopping trolleys for trips to Tescos on the pushbike! Probably serious overkill for on-piste skiing though - D G Orf's solution looks good for that, or probably a 25L would be about right. In retrospect I should have gone for something more technical than the MacPac, which makes moves in that direction but rather falls between stools - my brother has a great Black Diamond pack that has all the carrying loops and gizmos necessary, but with more accessible outer pockets. Also just after getting the MacPac, a mountain guide recommended another 40L pack with a zip out back (DaKine IIRC), which allows him to lay it on the snow, unzip the back and then has access to the full length of the main sack without the incessant furtling about at the bottom trying to find that bag of sandwiches that's always fallen to the bottom!

Depending on the lift, I've been moderately comfortable wearing these packs on a lift (although some are dreadful e.g. l'Index at Flegere) - although you have to tough out the lifties' stares. When more than half full though they have to come off and into the lap. Most important though, if you're going for a rucksack rather than bumbag, make sure the pack has a belly strap, and preferably a chest-strap too. The last thing you want is the pack flying around unbalancing you when tackling that mega-mogul run (I would also never wear a backpack without a belly strap on a lift).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have one of these although they're not made anymore.

But check out the reviews on that site for quality packs whilst you're there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a small Deuter pack which is narrow and doesn't get in the way of my wildly thrashing arms. You want something which one way or another (compression straps or pocket positioning) allows most of the (hopefully light) load to be carried high up on you back so that you don't have to remove it for chair lifts. If I can avoid it, which I usually can, I don't use a back pack on the slopes these days; I'm sure that my skiing improves when I don't use one (probably wishful thinking, though).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Paul, for the smallish items you've listed I'd just buy a cheap well-made daypack. The kind that kids use to carry stuff to school. You should be able to pick one up for about £10 to £15 which will be adequate.
I find many of them over-complicated. It doesn't really matter if everything is mixed up in one or two compartments.
If you've got expensive skis you might want to add 'ski/cycle cable lock' to the list of contents. Carrying one of those is a good reason to use a daypack. Not to mention some nice snacks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used a Deuter "Air Comfort" 25 litre sack for quite a few years now. It appears to be adequately sized for piste skiing and for day tours - carrying skins, probe, shovel, spare layer, spare gloves etc etc, food and water. When not full I do not usually have to remove it on chair lifts, even though the back system adds extra depth. As GrahamN says, a chest strap is essential. One feature of the Deuter is that it has a built-in rain cover for those less than blue sky days.

However last week I saw a Dakine sack which had a system for attaching the skis as a pair directly on the rear-facing surface, which seemed a lot handier than having to strap one on each side, so I shall be trying to find one of those. Anyone know a good Dakine stockist?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try the Camelbak "Snowdawg". I find this is big enough for all the essentials you mention, plus a spare layer; but not so big that everyone will be asking you to carry their stuff. And it has the bonus of a hydration system so you have water on tap all day. It fits very comfortably and is no problem on lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a small rucksack with hydration pack from Blacks a while back, and that is great. Just the right size for my goggles, lunch and a thin sweater. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to it Crying or Very sad Will keep looking.

I've also just bought a slightly bigger one (for going out hiking) from Decathlon. £19....looks great - haven't road tested yet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul Dickson,
Huh. Go figure.
I spent years traipsing around with a rucksack, and have recently managed to start fitting everything into my pockets. Makes balance a hell of a lot easier.

But if you MUST insist on a rucksack - get one as small as possible that still fits your usual skiing junk. GrahamN's talking about sizes that apply when going off-piste. What YOU want is a Camelbac sized bag, with as many straps that strap around your body as possible. Basically, you want something small enough and secure enough that it doesn't shift around on your back & upset your balance any more than needs be. Outdoor and Snowsports shops have them. If you can get a Camelbac or similar variation, then it's better cause the water won't slosh around like it does in a hard plastic bottle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
conor, Agreed, i have that bag also, and while it's not big enough to put a shovel in, it handles everything else thrown and it very well.

I store, goggles, suncream, tools, lunch, hat, camera, thin gloves, wallet and a spare layer with ease.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond> I have a lovely Deuter pack also - got it cheap in Canada for ice climbing but at 35-45l it's a bit big for skiing on piste. This year I bought a smaller mountain biking pack which is fantastic. Regarding advice, all the biking, skiing and climbing packs are designed to minimise movement when taking part in active sports - I'd advise sticking to these type of packs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Salomon Valdez 200. Great pac and very comfy !! I think that it is 21L.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice... I have a shopping trip planned at the weekend to check out the suggestions!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Manda, the defence would like to point out that
GrahamN wrote:
Probably serious overkill for on-piste skiing though - D G Orf's solution looks good for that, or probably a 25L would be about right.

Paul Dickson, I think Scarpa also made a good point above - I've generally gone for general purpose packs, but there seems to be a plethora of specifically designed packs around now. See what the shop assistant advises - some of them do occasionally know what they're talking about Shocked When you go shopping, take your jacket and/or fleece with you, and see whether you can get them in the pack (I nearly always end up skiing in one layer around midday in March/April, but need the extra layers for early mornings and lunch if stuck in the one sunless windy corner of the sun-terrasse). Then jump up and down with it on your back and generally flail around like you're on a mogul run...just to make sure the pack stays firm on your back (and to provide general amusement to everyone else in the shop snowHead ). If it doesn't, you don't want it. Have fun.
ski holidays
I like my BCA stash pack very much - especially as the hydration system doesn't freeze up. Rely on pockets most days though!

http://www.guideschoice.com/bca_stash.asp
snow conditions
If you don't go far off-piste and don't need to carry the shovel, tranceiver bla-bla a 15 litre pack is perfectly adequate for carrying goggles, camera etc. I manage to squeeze water bottles, suncream, camcorder, spare fleece in without problem. DO NOT BUY ANY OLD TAT THO! Make sure you get something that sits right and (as others have already mentioned) it MUST have a chest or belly strap:- otherwise if you have a bad fall it could rotate up over your shoulders and badly hurt your neck.

When you first ski with it it will throw your balance out so start with your pockets nearly full and then gradually transfer stuff into your pack as you get used to the different weight distribution. Once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever managed without! I have a relatively cheap Berghaus 15l pack which is perfect but try on several in the shop (over your ski jacket obviously) because everyone's shoulders are different.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy