Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My kids have persuaded me to take them here for a week at the end of February because they like the sound of it and the ski schools are supposed to be pretty good. I've not been to the resort before but have heard it can be full of school trips. I am a bit selfish and prefer to go somewhere with a bit more skiing. It can't be too bad surely?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'fraid so Brooksie, Tonale is a popular school trip destination. As far as the resort itself is concerned, I've been once and wouldn't rush back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ken
Oh fuddy blup, thought it might be, mind you I've been once already this season and am going again in a couple of weeks (lucky me). But what's the skiing like? Is it dodge the ankle biter or can you get away from them?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brooksie, the time I went to Tonale was with a school trip during the Feb half term and it was wall to wall kids. Regretably, the resort is relatively small. However, the saving grace was the more challenging area on the opposite side of the valley to the main area. The name escapes me but there's a long red or black down from a glacier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ken
Thanks for your advice, that's probably why my kids want to go there. Never mind can't have it all.
Brooksie
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys,

I skied here on my school trip last year, as I wanted to get two weeks instead of the usual onw with my Dad. Probs houldn't have bothered, unfortunately there were 3 ski school groups, 2 beginner and 1 'you know how to put skis on group'. Hmm, being a very capable skier this made for a rather dull time for me! Howevevr on the plus side I did experience some ace POWDER! However that itself had its downsides as the cold weather that brought it also froze the clutch on the bus and ment a night in a Milan Hotel. But that wasn't the fault of the resort! But an interesting tale. Ok now I had done most of my skiing in the 3 vallees up until then, so Tonale was a bit of a culture shock.

Ok so the resort itself ...
Right skiing is limited not much on offer, especially if you are advanced the couple of runs on the more challenging side, on the Presena Glacier will not challenge the more capable skiers. There are however some nice reds that make for comfy cruisin, Alpino for one. If the snow allows it, and from current reports it should the lower area of Ponte di Legno (take the free bus there and back) makes for some nice tree skiing and a very alpine feel. Get yourself down there. As I said I was part of a school trip in Feb half term and unfortunately for you, I was not the only one! Place was heavin with us! To avoid it steer clear of the main runs facin the resort, you'll see what I mean, these are overcrowded, dull and not much fun, so not much of a loss, but its wear the school trips hang out.

Instruction ... we were with one instructor all week ... he was an ace guy, really friendly, and even let me lead him down a few times! Unfortunately his english was limited and ability to convey technical information wasnt great. This was only one instructor however. What I did notice is the Italian ski style was well very European, clamped legs etc.

Apres Ski ... ok we weren't really allowed out much but I did get a bit of reccyin done . Ok all bars basically located along main street ... all dead, not many school ski trips are allowed out clubbin ... bingo mainly for us! Amenities were limited also, not much shoppin ... but hey this is comin from a boy used to the Boutiques of Courchevel! I won't be back in a hurry.

Fortunately i got to blast off to Courch again at the end of last season and am headin out again in 3 weeks 6 days! Woo hoo!

As I'm 18 next year Im currently organisin a more unnoficial school trip! Thinkin og gettin Chalet for 7-10 of us, wanted somewhere with ace skiing/nightlife .. any tips!

Anymore Qs shout up!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm Going the 27th Feb, so maybe it won't be that bad, otherwise it sounds like a frustrating week if its really busy. Apparently there are other resorts fairly close by, is that true, if so, what are the nearest reasonable ones?
Brooksie
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just down the road is marilleva which is linked over to madonna di campiglio - quote some skiing there to keep you occupied on a day out
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt
Thanks, I'll have a look on the web.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went to Tonale last year, took our 4 yr old. We went during term time and have to say, refreshing resort - no queues for lifts, good range of intermediate ski runs (and a glacier black which we didnt get to unfortunately). Excellent snow and good hotel (paradiso) although we would go to a different hotel nearer the resort centre next time. Madonna di Campigno is close by (rather chic and expensive, frequented by royals) but the snow was so heavy, we didnt venture out of the village all week. We skied the resort and strangely, its one of those places where you can change run mid way down and cross the runs (normally frowned on at other European resorts we have stayed at).....we would ski from the hotel across the resort to ski school and in reverse to get back to the hotel....
our 4 yr old was skiing blues on his own by day 3 and doing drag lift on his own on day 4 so its excellent for novices.

Having skiied a few European resorts, I can assure you we would go back to Tonale. Transfer time is good too (about 2 hrs). Limited blacks but excellent range of blues and reds. Snow sure quite late season too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fruity
Thanks for the information, I was beginning to think I'd let the kids talk me into a rank bad holiday. This sounds more promising. Have you or anyone out there stayed at the Sport Vittoria Hotel? I think it has the Heaven Pub on site.
Brooksie Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Popular with Belgians, so some reasonable bottled beer in town.

Take a day trip to Madonna.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy