Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brushing skis after waxing- How important?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, exactly, I agree, and I would be 100% confident in the guys we know knowing what's what with regards to this. On courses and things they've done ski tune demos and it's always stacked up with what I had found out myself from spyderjon or whoever and information on how to do it found elsewhere. What they do or don't do themselves is up to them if they sometimes cut corners and things on their own kit for whatever reason, but they'd definitely tell anyone the right way of doing it in a demo or if you ask them.
Also, ski techs found in resorts working in rental shops may have been on a short 2 day course to learn how to service skis in a shop using their machines, but often I feel that because the machines do all the work so to speak then I suspect that in some cases, they might not know as much as the instructors actually who have ben doing their own kit for donkeys years. Apart from the cost of shop tunes, that was one of the reasons I started to do my own skis because I could be certain what work was carried out on the skis because I'd done it myself-previously I didn't know what they had done or not done and paid £15-£25 a time for the privilege! Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well i did brush, but with a coarse nylon scrubbing brush.

The skis performed very well on the slope, and didn't seem 'sticky' on the first run of the piste. Bases are still dark and with no evidence of graying after a full weeks use though there was minimal ice or even bashed piste Smile

Interestingly enough i watched the 'ski techs' in ski republic 'waxing' a ski. All they did was slide the ski over the rollers on a single machine. The machine had two rollers, one which looked like a sanding sheet and the other made of sponge. I was told that that was all the waxing they did on the hire skis or if you paid for a 'wax'.

The ski was on the machine for less than 2 seconds, and it looked like all the machine did was give a light base grind and wipe over the base of the ski with a waxed sponge.

Pathetic really, but if the hire skis last a full season with that treatment it obviously works to some degree. However, if i'd paid (and it was only 8 Euro) i'd be pretty pissed off if that was the 'wax' process that they carried out on my skis.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 18-02-09 12:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The ski was on the machine for less than 2 seconds, and it looked like all the ski did was give a light base grind and wipe over the base of the ski with a waxed sponge.

lower, if this is what a shop wax entails I'm glad that I home wax (and tune) my skis. Ok it takes some time (way more than 2 secs!) but radio on in the garage listening to the footy, beer on the work bench, I find it very theraputic and rewarding. As you can see, Spyderjon has taught me well!!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

However, if i'd paid (and it was only 8 Euro) i'd be pretty pissed off if that was the 'wax' process that they carried out on my skis.

Yes, I'd rather watch my OH out on the terrace with his home-made ski clamp things and an old iron, moiling away for ages in the freezing cold. Much more satisfactory!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Do you stand at the window with a cocktail elegantly gesturing him to work faster? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are several clean-up steps before I wax my snowboard.I will use a brass brush in the first step. The followings would be bristle brush and nylon brush. Sometimes I use spam for light duty. After all the cleaning steps finished, I start to wax my board carefully.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to SHs, @kou, I'm sure everyone has been on tenterhooks for 9 years awaiting your answer wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kou,
I would usually use spam for breakfast
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, ...the dead will rise...the dawn of the damned....the zombie threads will inherit Snow Heads .... we’re all DOOOOOOOMED......

I wax a whole bunch of skis in a panic in the late evening/early morning - Butta wax mmmm nice smell
I stick them in the hall
I throw them in the car
I get to the car park
I scrape and brush them in the car park while others faff
I ski

Oh no ... I have contributed to the rise of the zombie threads......

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 20-04-18 11:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
At this time of year a good wax and brush is pretty essential if you don't want to suck to the snow like a limpit. It is the pockets in an open structure that mean you don't stick to the snow.

In the winter, not so critical but use a hard wax or the spikey crystals will be like skiing over sand.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy