Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for bootfitters please - ladies calves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Salmon Idol 8s in a size 22. They are quite advanced boots but the only ones I could get in a size 22 last year. However, they give me a lot of calf pain because the backs of the boots are quite high and stiff. The tops of the cuffs are shaped more like a mans boot rather than womens. I have small feet and ankles but quite big muscley calves. The boots dig into the backs of my calves which I think is what is causing the pain. At the end of each day I have an indentation of the shape of the cuff in the back of my calves.

I know it's not my skiing position because I had a private lesson with Magic and he said I had a good stance and wasn't in the back seat at all. Also I don't tighten them up too much on the top buckle.

This January I eventually hired a pair of boots for the second half of the week and was in bliss. I noticed that on these boots both the shells and the liners were much lower at the back and more of a woman's shape.

So I am thinking about buying some new boots with a better calf shape. I had thought about sawing off the high bit of plastic at the back which is above the power strap in order to lower the shell and then to pummel the liner to try and soften it. Also thought about a heel lift but it would probably need to be about 10mm (edit) to make a difference!

Am I missing anything more obvious that can be done to soften the tops of the cuff? I don't want to spend a third holiday trying to break them in so am prepared to buy new boots unless there is something quite simple and I can do to modify the Idols.

CEM - as much as I'd love to come and see you again, factoring in petrol money and getting time off work it might be more cost effective to get new boots here in Bristol. I was considering the Salomon Divine RS (8 or 10). The corky footbeds you made were great by the way.

Thanks all.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As you note, women's boots have lower backs since proportionally their calf muscle bulges lower on their leg. That's a well accepted boot fitting 'fact'.. So the problem you have with your 'male' boots is quite normal.

Yes you could cut the boot shell down to take some of the boot/calf pressure away, or as is more common make the boot softer at the top/rear by cutting two vertical slots in the rear shell, one each side of your calf about 2.5 inches apart. To stop the cuts from splitting down the boot with time it is usual to drill a small 1/8 inch or so hole at the bottom of each cut. Start with cuts about 1 1/2 inches long and see how that affects the calf 'bang'..

A decent boot fitter should be able to help and should have encountered (and fixed) the problem before in their career..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
curry-queen, sorry if this is a really silly question, but why did you buy men's boots?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam wcolinmcc, the idol is not a mens boot it is based on the impact [which is a mans boot]

curry-queen, give me a call, there are a couple of things that could be done [by post] the idol has a very aggressive forward lean which is why it dids into the calf where it does.... the first thing would be to flare the cuff of the boot backwards by putting it into a jig, heating the cuff and winding it back, this can gain 20mm or so of space behind the calf...if that is insufficent then the cuff can be removed, made more upright and re riveted on the boot, this can gain even more space, but is fairly major work

the devine RS you mention is a much higher volume boot so would not hold your foot as well, the normal alternative boot to the idol/impact is the Nordica speedmachine and it does not come in a true 22 shell...they offer a 23 shell with a thick toed liner rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, Thanks - this sounds quite promising. The only thing is that we go away again on 21 March so need to make sure I have everything solved one way or another before then.

I know that the Idol has a 100mm last and the Divine has 102mm. I'm not sure if you remember me at all but I have no idea what size last I need anyway as I bought the Idols from S&R without having much to compare with. My very first boots were Salomon Performa 7 in a size 23 and fitted intially but soon became too big. I think these have a last of 104mm or maybe even bigger as they were beginner boots.

The ones I hired in resort were Irony 660 in a size 22. Not sure what the up to date equivalent would be. They fitted well although a bit snug on my right big toe but then they hadn't had chance to form to my feet. Do you happen to know what size last these would have had?

Anyway, your comments on these sizings would be very helpful and then I'll see if I can justify a trip up to you.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
curry-queen, the irony is the new version of the performa so a 104mm last and a fairly low tech boot
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, I wanted to update you with my boot saga. I tried on several pairs at S&R at the weekend and felt happier about going to such a chain now that I know how a boot should feel!

The Nordica speedmachine was huge (as you said). Also the Salomon Divine RS was also huge because it's a 22-23.5 with a toe block in the front . Shame on you Salomon! My current Salomons are a true 22 so was a bit surprised by this.

Eventually I bought a pair of Head Dream 10.5 which are a true 22 and fit very well, with an excellent heel hold and no problems around the calf. I think these boots are made for calves like mine! Also I managed to feel the flex in them, something that I'd not really felt properly before. They are slightly more snug than my Idols but no doubt they will pack out a little as they do seem to have more padding inside. The clog shape and size seems very similar to the Idols and if I get toe bang initially I will try a heel lift. I simply couldn't risk a third holiday trying to get the Idols to work for me.

Thanks for your time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy