Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on skis please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I tried some Salomon 1080s on the glacier in Tigne last November and really liked them. I just want someting for going forwards on piste. Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just try several different skis until you find a pair that works for you, we're all different not just in build,strength and weight but skill style and a whole host of other things, the best thing is to try a range of skis in a catagory that you want, in your case "on piste" and set up to suit your ability
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for that. Good advice, but my question was really whether anyone had any suggestions of good candidate skis for someone who got on well with 1080s but not for their intended purpose.

D G Orf wrote:
Just try several different skis until you find a pair that works for you, we're all different not just in build,strength and weight but skill style and a whole host of other things, the best thing is to try a range of skis in a catagory that you want, in your case "on piste" and set up to suit your ability
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TwistBarbie, It looks as if we are ignoring you, but it is very difficult to be objective in this situation. The only thing I have to offer is that my wife recently bought a a pair of Atomic B9 puls lady skis which are superb value complete with bindings at around £280. They are light and a good all-round ski for mostly on piste at intermediate level.

Maybe you could give them a try. She used them at Christmas and sold at least one other pair to women who appreciated their lightness and forgiving nature.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TwistBarbie, what's wrong with using 1080's if you really liked them? Going backwards is not compulsory afaik Cool Alternatively one of the Salomon range this year is allegedly a 1080 with a flat tail, check out their website/catalogue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Alternatively one of the Salomon range this year is allegedly a 1080 with a flat tail, check out their website/catalogue.

I think that is the Scream Limited, but why bother when you can have the 1080?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TwistBarbie, I agree with Alan Craggs, if you liked them, why not buy them? I use Scratch FSs (freestyle skis) for off piste and also on piste on those days when I'm likely to do both - no probs except the hassle of taking 2 spaces in the gondolas for one pair of skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well if you really like the 1080s...... I own a pair of Rossi twin-tips but hardly ever ski backwards, it is not obligatory. As easiski points out it can sometimes be a pain squeezing them into gondola panniers; and you can't just jam them into the snow outside a mountain hut as the turn-ups on the back ends force the skis apart. But other than that there is no downside to using twin-tips.

I assume you hired these 1080s in Tignes? Bear in mind they could be a few seasons old. Salomon keep tinkering with it as well as altering the graphics. Altho the "1080" has been around for years it is not the same ski it started as: the current "spaceframe" version is significantly wider than the original, for better off-piste performance. There was also a "mogul" version for 2002/3 that was significantly narrower. All very confusing!

As there have been several different incarnations, unless you are sure exactly which "1080" you used you are better off asking the advice of a good resort shop and then demo-ing a couple of skis next time you go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski on 1080's from a couple of seasons back, they are an amazingly flexible ski for use on a wide range of terrain. I rarely go backwards on mine but as has been mentioned you dont 'have' to to use them! Ski selection is very personal, speak to someone in a decent ski shop and they should be able to ask the right questions about your skill level and where you like to ski and from that give you a shortlist. From that read up about them and then when you are on snow try renting a few pairs to give them a run on the real stuff.

My preference is for a zippy, agile ski which also has the ability to hold a decent edge at medium speeds and doesnt require your fullest attention like a race ski would. I'd say the 1080 more than covers that plus it floats ok through the light stuff and doesn't flap all over the place on ice Very Happy

If you want the same kind of feeling from another salomon ski try one of the crossmax series which has a flat tail or even one of the detuned race skis, these give plenty of pop out of the turn.

Good luck

David
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy