Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board Locks\Security thingies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been reading on another thread about skis being nicked in France and can see there are devices for locking skis, does anyone know of a good device for boards that doesn't involve attaching something to the board itself? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use this: http://www.rcpower.com/compactor_lock.html
It's nice and small, I just stick it in my pocket and don't even notice it. I just loop the wire through my heelcup, and then through anything I can find, which is generally one of those massive snowboard/ski racks. I'm sure it could be broken in like 2 seconds, but there are sooo many nice, unlocked boards that the deterent of even a shitty lock should be more than enough. Remember, your board just has to be harder to steal than someone else's more expensive board.
These guys are a Canadian company; don't know if they sell products in the UK. But I'm sure you could find something similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
An instructor friend of mine in the USA, has a binding hole in the back centre of his board into which he's got some sort of metal cube inserted (it wouldn't come out when i tried!!) with a hole through the middle, he then leaves the lock down the bottom and chains it up when he needs to (obviously in a larger resort you'd need to carry your lock with you). I've seen it a couple of times when in the USA at small hills, but never in Europe. It didn't affect the board performance in anyway and looked a really good idea as a theif can very easily take your bindings off/disassemble and walk off with the board or cut through those thin wire locks that a few people use.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They *CAN* steal it like that, but why would they bother when 90% of the boards are unlocked, and also most of them pricier than mine? The lock is a deterent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I deffinately feel better about leaving my board whilst having lunch/beer now that I lock it. A couple of us tether the boards together/ to a pole etc. As Ponder says, no-one will mess around trying to bust the lock when they can walk off in a matter of seconds with another one. Deffinately worth investing in!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
perhaps it's just as good to get hold of a bike chain or some other device, i.e. anything that can loop round an immovable object and will deter monkeys with nothing better to do than steal my board! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the nice thing about the lock i bought (which is a wire thing with a combination) is that it is very compact, slightly larger than an oreo. I stick it in my pocket and don't even notice it, but thieves do notice it when it's on my board and decide to steal an unlocked board instead.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After having a board stolen while I was at lunch a few years back I became paranoid about board theft. The replacement board I bought was a K2 Eldorado, I had long fancied one but I was particularly attracted by the eyelet in the tail which is intended for backcountry towing but doubles as an anchor point for locking. I always lock my board, sometimes with a heavy duty bike lock as the lightweight type locks mentioned above only take a decent yank to break.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
playdreamer wrote:
...only take a decent yank to break.

just as well that there aren't many decent Yanks about Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excuse a skier joining your thread, but I bought one of those wire/combination locks on ebay - my bid of £0.01 was the only and hence the succesful bid (but £2.49 P&P). It seems Ok, small and compact to carry and if it does no more than fulfill my insurance obligations it is worth it. It is amazing what deals you can get.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, my friend got a hardly used board on e-bay for $30 CAD! It was a shitty lamar, but who cares, it was just a learners board and lasted him 2 seasons totally fine before he decided he wanted something stiffer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy