Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lucky Snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Article from todays daiy mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1129979/Pictured-The-moment-British-snowboarder-man-avalanche.html

Not sure where they were but it looks like they were very lucky.

They are in for another shock when they receive the helicopter bill.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crikey - they were lucky! Lucky scoop for the photographer as well - great pictures!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gnarly gapers - what a surprise rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm sorry but he was an idiot, a lucky idiot to be sure but still an idiot, nobody should venture off piste without having at least an idea of what's likely to be there Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know this sounds uber snobby but folks don't you all know that the "Board Fraternity" (the ones with bleached spikey hair and tight jeans down around their hole) will hold these "doods" in high esteem for this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What a pair of noobs - I'd guess they didn't have any probes, shovels or tranceivers and were completely unprepared for off-piste terrain. I dunno what the drill is with boards but if it's anything similar to skis what the hell are they doing taking their boards off on a slope like that - no crampons and your asking for a fall - moronic! rolling eyes

dazman, I don't think they will, look at the dudes gear in the photos - definitely uncool if you ask me. No serious boarder is going to look up to riders dressed like that! Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The whole "had wandered into a dangerous off-limits area" doesn't really stick with me at all. It also states they are experienced snowboarders so I can't help but think this was deliberate, then they got themselves into serious trouble.

Very cynical of me to think that I know, regardless of my opinion I hope the chopper rescue bill was massive to teach them a valuable lesson.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like they were looking for some off-piste and bit off more than they could chew, they certainally don't look kitted out.

Quote: "Looking back on it we should have paid more respect to the mountain"

Ain't that the truth - this guy should be happy to pay the chopper bill, and thank his lucky stars that he's not paying a more ultimate price...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Think they made a massive mistake and had a very lucky escape, now I just hope they learn from that mistake. Fantastic pictures though wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the peanut gallery are being a little harsh - I'd guess that they made a navigational error and got themselves somewhere they didn't want to be. Its too easy in those circumstances to keep pushing thinking there will be an out. Of course taking your board off is often the last thing you want to do but there is no sidestepping up on a snowboard. Having been for an unscheduled slide over a small rock drop (inbounds) due to a very slick patch of ice under a dusting of fresh snow I'd feel a bit more sympathetic.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dazman wrote:
I know this sounds uber snobby but folks don't you all know that the "Board Fraternity" (the ones with bleached spikey hair and tight jeans down around their hole) will hold these "doods" in high esteem for this.

Yes it does sound uber-snobby. In fact, that sounds like the opinion of a narrow-minded skier who is obviosuly far too up his/her own jacksie to admit when they make mistakes.

Yes, they're fools for putting themselves and the rescue squad in peril and maybe they should be penalised for the cost of the chopper call-out. However, the fact they're safe and not pummelled to death by a mountain of snow i a bit more comforting - no one likes to see people fall foul of nature in that manner, no matter what form of transport they choose to strap to their feet.

As for knowingly getting into trouble, maybe they did, maybe they didn't - we'll never know if their 'experience' levels are what they say theye are and if they intended to go that far off-piste. Anyway, that's beside the point; anyone, no matter how good they are on the snow, can get into trouble. Look at the likes of Craig Kelly - an amazing boarder, renowned freeride guide yet he gets killed in an avalanche. His experience didn't save him.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 28-01-09 14:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Idiots - plain and simple !!!!

sunday is normally the 1st day on the slopes for most travellers, if they went off piste on their 1st day then what do they expect ????? they deserve every ounce of humilation they get
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Of course taking your board off is often the last thing you want to do but there is no sidestepping up on a snowboard.

this is where boards can be a lot more dangerous than skis. stuck above a cliff band on a board there is not much you can do except hope you get heli-ed off. on skis, at least you have a chance to side step out
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, I agree. I do wonder what I'd do in similar circumstances - I hope I'd be sensible enough to hold still and call for a heli-evac rather than try to prove how big my balls were or compound my error.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think the peanut gallery are being a little harsh - I'd guess that they made a navigational error and got themselves somewhere they didn't want to be. Its too easy in those circumstances to keep pushing thinking there will be an out.

I'd echo that - a few years back I took what I thought to be a short-cut through a few trees onto another piste. One I'd taken several times that week Embarassed As it turned out, I really couldn't see the wood for the trees and was going deeper and further off-piste and had no idea where I was. My gut reaction was I would drop out on another piste soon, as was indeed the case, but I could equally well have ended up on or over a cliff.

With hindsight I should have retraced my steps as soon as I realised my mistake - but it was easier to go downhill then walk up Embarassed
snow conditions
Specialman,

The last thing I am is narrow minded and if you re-read the original article you'll see it clearly states they had "wandered into a dangerous off-limits area"....off limits is off limits irrespective of your experience/ability.

The "Board Fraternity" is a reference to a specific demographic...not EVERY boarder, and who's to say I'm not one myself.
snow conditions
dazman, would you trust a Daily Mail hack to know a "dangerous off limits area" from his elbow?
snow conditions
Arno, I'm surprised they didn't try and shoehorn a Princess Diana/Ethnic minority reference into it too....
ski holidays
dazman, I have read the article (even though it pains me to go on the Daily Mail website Smile )and yes, it states they were a proper couple of divvys for going where they went. I'm not arguing that. Regardless, the comments you make about spikey hair and low-slung pants (and the overuse of 'inverted commas' to make your point stick) smacks of someone who hasn't bought into the whole snowboarding thing - you're reference to spikey hair and low-slung pants isn't exactly boarder-speak.

fra·ter·ni·ty (fr-tûrn-t)
1. A body of people associated for a common purpose or interest, such as a guild.
2. A group of people joined by similar backgrounds, occupations, interests, or tastes: the fraternity of bird watchers.

I'd say that's pretty much EVERY boarder if you're referring to the board fraternity...

By the way, my whole post wasn't directed at you - only the first paragraph was... Wink
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
the original article you'll see it clearly states they had "wandered into a dangerous off-limits area"....off limits is off limits irrespective of your experience/ability

that suggests they were there by mistake and not by design
snow report
or were too bloody embarrased/guilty to admit that they chose to ignore the signs & thus wasted massive resources
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, I would more embarrassed about some of the gear they are wearing, and that set of Flows - aaahhhhh Laughing
snow report
the comments after the article are really funny, looks like a few Snowheads there Laughing
snow report
rayscoops, With you on the clothing & as for the Flows that goes without saying Laughing and one of the comments is Specialman for sure wink
ski holidays
name me one experienced boarder who tucks his yellow trousers into his boots.
ski holidays
One of the guys is wearing the Gay Pride jacket. No wonder he got into trouble, he should of took the left run to Brighton
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy