Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late deals + flexible travel time - any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
God, I can't wait for the 7 weeks to my main ski holiday. Thats sorted.

However I want to escape on a late deal on 2 February - wednesday for 4/5/6 days on the slopes. Am booking late - literally a week beforehand and travelling alone. Not too concerned about countries, prefer hotels to chalets but again flexible.

Looked at Crystal and Thomson but they seem to only cater for 7 days breaks.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 15-01-05 21:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just realised - posted in wrong place - should be under trips snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia,

We often do ad hoc trips so go the indie route. We e-mail the hotel direct or even turn up on spec
if we think the resort isn't likely to be busy. It isn't always cheaper but it gives us the flexibility we want.

I think the best way to travel is by train and can get most places in France/ Switzerland via Eurostar for under £150:00.
France is generally cheaper.

Some of the smaller chalet companies will do adhoc stays, but I would be inclined to sort this out before we go.
European hotels would like the Brit 7 day holiday as it garauntees occupancy but at horrible rates for the hotelier
but their clientele will not want that.

The Great British Tour Operator gets some great deals but most of Eurpoe do not holiday under these terms.
They come when the want and cancel last minute if need be. The Brits say they will be there for 7 days and come what may
they come.

So my reckoning would be £100-150 for travel and £40-50 pn means 5 days costs about £400:00 max for the basics.

Of course if you can pick up a crazy price for a flight you may do better, depends on the price of the resort transfer..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, I'd try Indie too. Just checked EasyJet and it would cost you £17.99 Stansted-Basel on 2nd Feb and £28.99 back on £6/7th, or £13.99 on 8th! Luton prices slightly more expensive. Probably have to add about £20 airport tax, but skis go free. Not done this, but I guess it would be fairly convenient for the Bernese Oberland (Murren/Wengen etc)...on which D G Orff appears to have more information you could possibly need Wink . I would guess train fare (check www.sbb.ch) is something like £30 - it's CHF112 to Zermatt, CHF67 to Geneva. I've done LTN-Geneva (much busier, and so rather more expensive flights - about £40-80 each way on those dates) then transfer to Chamonix (Eur 40 each way), and stayed in a gite (bunkhouse) there for Eur12/night.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, it's 1 f by the way,

Transfer ticket from any point of entry to Switzerland to your Swiss destination is £55 through the Swiss Tourist Office.

Travel independantly almost all the big opps book 7 day units because of their charter flight arrangements
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agteet hat 7 weeks is too long. I just got back on Monday and have just arranged to go to Cham in two weeks!

I would fly independantly as described earlier and then just ring tic in resort to check hotel availability or smurf and email/phone to find hotels with rooms. If you go to places like Zermatt there is a board at the station showing all the hotels with available rooms so you can just turn up and book - either like this or with tic. You won't have a problem unless its half term or something.

Alternatively you can go with ski weekends. We did easter in Val d@isere witht them a couple of years ago and they were great. a small and friendly outfit who booked us an apartment for 4 days. We arranged our own travel. You may also be able to get an apartment short term by contacting local agancies direct such as Interhome. If you are travellingby yourself you could also book intoi youth hostels - cheap and you get to meet interesting people.

Bon ski
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, profound apologies...but each time I check your monster thread I keep on hearing "O Fortuna!" by your not quite namesake!

That £55 transfer sounds good for more remote destinations but does that mean one-way or return? If one-way, direct ticket from SBB may be cheaper. I just checked, the SBB fare from Basel-Lauterbrunnen (10 mins from Wengen) is CHF59 - just under my guess of £30 - although you'd probably then need to add the Airport/Station shuttle and Lauterbrunnen-Wengen cost.

I actually misread the Easyjet fare sheet. If you're willing to travel early and late Luton looks a better bet: 07:05 departure on 2nd (which may get you on the slopes midday/pm) is also £17.99, and 21:35 departure from Basel (which would probably allow skiing to mid pm) on 8th is £3.99
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, I can answer for D G Orf: the £55 is a return ticket, which gets you all the way up to Wengen and back!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Switzerland I've found excellent help from the local tourist offices, phone or email (phone more effective sometimes) the tourist offices in the regions you would like to visit, typically they will be able to get back to you with available rooms and prices in any local hotels.

GrahamN, no offence but I do have a musical relative, one Professor Thurston Dart, 1921-1971
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, wow...impressed Exclamation
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks guys for the help. Been offline for the past 4 days as my laptop " died ", now liuckly up and running again. As it is I have already booked Grindelwald for the main 7 day holiday and do not wish to go there for the short trip although the information is useful for future. Can't decide at the moment, too much work!!. ( clients' tax returns Sad ) Will see whats available next week and decide then.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy