Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre ski fitness - what do you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I would see what types of excercise (if any!) you all do before hitting the slopes. I run a few times a week throughout the year and try and do more before I go skiing as if I don't I find that by the afternoon on the slopes I am just exhausted. Anyone do anything more extravagant!?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After last year trying to just wing it, thinking I am generally fit, and finding that was not good enough, I now go to the gym about 3 times a week in the 3 months leading up to the first trip, with a trainer to motivate me! Makes a big difference - just back from an Inspired to Ski course and I had no problems with lasting the half day lesson and then skiing the other half of the day. Others in the group had to forego a lot of their 'own-time' skiing as they were just not fit enough.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I start with halves and then work on pints. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I play badminton every week, and over the past three months I've been swimming every week too and using a fitness DVD at home. I'm not fit at all, but I'm not hugely unfit either, especially since I'm a middle-aged woman with health issues...

I do get tired easily on the slopes, but I just go at my own pace and concentrate on enjoyment rather than exertion. After all, it's a holiday!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 body pump classes, 2 pilates classes, 1 yoga session, daily walks and mountain biking or spinning and I still dont feel fit enough Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I do gym 3 times a week focusing on the leg muscles and at home i crouch in "toilet position" for as long as i can. I stop it all 2 days before i fly out thou so my muscles can relax. Also plenty of stretches each morning and evening (15 mins after i get off the slopes) when im over there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Usually hit the gym most days for a couple of hours, doing both cardio and weight work. Usually try and do a bit more leg work pre trip. This year due to knee injury I've been doing plenty of leg work anyway Smile

Also do balancing exercises and etc and a bit of cycling combined with dog walking all thrown into the mix. a good general fitness level will go a long way.

The week before we go I tend to take it relatively easy- if your not fit by now you never will be. Body is rested and ready for some hard exercise by then Smile

I tend to find this works, allowing me to ski for the two weeks away Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mountainbiking seems to be exellent training for skiing, I even get to clip my feet in! Then again, we have summer now, so it makes it easier than in GB. Spinning classes should also give a good combination of cardio and legstrength.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scrubyjoe,
Quote:

i crouch in "toilet position" for as long as i can.

Can I suggest more fibre in your diet Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lib-banana wrote:
scrubyjoe,
Quote:

i crouch in "toilet position" for as long as i can.

Can I suggest more fibre in your diet Very Happy

Duely noted! Laughing Im also available to stretch out peoples tight jeans....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A really good (but not free) book about exercises and routines to get fit to ski

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/getfittoski/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I do loads of leg work in the gym 3/4 times a week and still get burnin' quads on longer runs. It's a lactic acid tolerance issue, runners and those that take part in endurance sports tend to fair the best.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find the best way to get fit for skiing, is to squeeze an extra trip in before the one you're trying to get fit for wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:
I find the best way to get fit for skiing, is to squeeze an extra trip in before the one you're trying to get fit for wink

Yep, tried that one. It does help the quads, but the liver tends to go into free-fall. Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A bit of running, a bit of swimming, a bit of exercise bike. You should do it all year round tho (he said in lecture mode!).
ski holidays
I usually swim regularly throughout the year, plus occasional games of badminton.

During the few weeks before a trip, I will also have a few sessions on a dry slope (or in a fridge) if I can mange it, just to remind my legs how skis work, and get some exercise into the right muscles.
latest report
Have a few extra beers Twisted Evil
ski holidays
cathy,
Quote:

Others in the group had to forego a lot of their 'own-time' skiing as they were just not fit enough.

Yes, I was a bit surprised since, in some cases, the people talked about gym attendance, doing Pilates etc, but still weren't fit enough. I was also somewhat surprised that my own fitness held out, despite a not particularly strenuous or ski-oriented fitness programme (not to mention being old Sad ). Like you, I skiied all day every day, but only got tired (ie started falling) once, and that was towards the end of a three hour lesson almost exclusively devoted to practising short radius turns on steep blacks. Shocked
ski holidays
Got the opposite problem now, I lose fitness when skiing! I need to do some more fitness work when in resort, so I can come back at least in the same state I went out in!

You'd have thought a bit of exercise at altitude would do at least something for you, but invariably I find now I'm slipping backwards after a week's skiing.
snow report
Different exercises people, for skiing cycling especially mountain biking seems particularly effective, however most gym work will not work the same groups of muscles, in the Gym try doing shallow squats with lots of repetitions or a similar workout on the legpress, you are not looking for muscle bulk you want your legs to act like springs so short travel but with a reasonable weight is going to be more effective than deep squats which are great for building muscle but not that effective an exercise for skiing, high intensity CV work will help build stamina but aim for cyclic action rather than impact for a similar effect, so cycling and rowing will be much better than running, walking at a fast pace up steep inclines will however get you used to those climbs up the slope.

Skiing is a great exercise for overall cv improvement and a very effective weight loss exercise, however in order to loose the weight don't over indulge on the apress ski beer wink
latest report
ohhh - its all too serious for me
its a holiday afterall !!
the tip is to ski with your wife who is about the same fitness as you so you both ski at the same (slow) pace !!
drink plenty of water
dont have too much wine
chase round after two young kids for most of the year - that keeps me fit
visit the gym once a week when i can but this is not always possible due to having a life !!!! LOL
i used to get really stressed that i was not fit enough but i dont care so much now. Its our one week of fun so we just take it as it comes and if it hurts we stop and admire the view !!
latest report
none.

all i did was make sure to warm up and down before and after skiing and i coped ok
latest report
The beer arm's in pretty good shape already. It's just a case of converting the pie-eating action into fondue mode.
ski holidays
I ski! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Last season I was renovating a 5 storey house carrying 30kg buckets of plaster up the stairs among other things, I now need to sell the place now to pay for this year's skiing.
I tried the usual squatting excrcises the first few years but always had painfully stiff legs on the 2nd day, then I started just going for 1-2 mile runs in the 3-4 weeks before the hol and this worked fine, no sore legs (apart from after the first two runs!).
I found that the better I got at skiing, the less fit I needed to be as I used skill rather than brute force and ignorance to turn the skis.
The best warm up I found was to drink till 3am, collect breakfast from the shop on the way to the ski lift and eat it on the lift, then turn the skis around and do the unofficial mogul run underneath the chairlift as a first run, these days, just getting the kids ready is enough of a warmup.
snow report
I keep fit by Kite Land Boarding through out the year and when there is snow some snow kiting
snow report
Keep fit sailing thru the summer (and skiing a little). As we have a young family we usually ski in March so been teaching people to ski on plastic for 4 months usually does the trick.... Happy
snow conditions
I do alot of horse riding and even more mucking out of stables and trudging through muddy fields!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
None, and I do fine as long as I stay on piste, despite being not exactly svelte. It's a holiday, not a marathon.....

aj xx
snow report
I go to http://www.britmilfit.com/ two or three times a week!
I am a good two stone lighter and much stronger than a year ago... fingers crossed it shows in my skiing!
snow report
I've realised it's easier just to keep training all year.

Gym a few times a week for a mix of Cv sessions and weight sessions followed by mountainbiking at the weekend.

All good.
snow conditions
however much training the average person does will not account for 8 hours skiing at altitude !!!!!!
ski holidays
fragglerock wrote:
I go to http://www.britmilfit.com/ two or three times a week!
I am a good two stone lighter and much stronger than a year ago... fingers crossed it shows in my skiing!

Me too - last time I went i had to go to the gym to get pre-ski fit and it wasn't the same. However, I'm going to go and do some weights to get a bit stronger before my next trip...
snow report
definitely recommend foot and ankle mobility exercises to avoid the pain/numbness from snow boots. These often get forgotten and people put the pain down to needing to wear in new boots etc. Actually it's usually because of limitations in dorsiflexion (aren't I posh today Little Angel )

There are loads to be found on Youtube, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?
latest report
queen bodecia, I'm a middle aged woman too and have been doing this recently : http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Just thought I'd recommend - it is excellent!
snow report
I train all year round anyway (swim, bike, run), so don't train to get fit for skiing. I do need to get more flexible, cycling and running are great ways to decrease any flexibility you may have!

A ski instructor said a really good way to get fit especially for a spring ski holiday where the conditions may get heavy going is to keep walking up and down stairs. Strengthens the quads no end.
snow conditions
Put your ski boots on and do the hoovering . . ?

Apologies to SMALLZOOKEEPER Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Elizabeth B wrote:
I find the best way to get fit for skiing, is to squeeze an extra trip in before the one you're trying to get fit for

Yep, tried that one. It does help the quads, but the liver tends to go into free-fall.

Perfect! So all you need to do now is start intensive liver training before your pre-skiing warm-up ski trip Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
Perfect! So all you need to do now is start intensive liver training before your pre-skiing warm-up ski trip Toofy Grin

with the evil grin. lol.. yeah well any kind of cardio vascular exercise would do.. need not to do special tricks, try running, sit ups, push ups... and make sure to get a good diet as well.. exercise won't work if you don't watch what you eat..
ski holidays
Another recommendation for http://www.britmilfit.com/ - if that doesn't get you ready for skiing, nothing will. I'm thinking of doing a half marathon the week before I go away as well, just to make sure I keep the training levels high. If I don't train, the running and the skiing are going to be extremely painful...

I'm just trying to encourage my boyfriend into doing some exercise before we go skiing in April - if he doesn't get his act together I'm going to be skiing on my own in the afternoons...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy