Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What bits and pieces should be in my backpack

Poster: A snowHead
As a relative newbie (2nd trip coming up soon) I was wondering what you guys would advise for me to have in my backpack. Should I carry a screwdriver? A knife? Torch? Cableties? I can think of a million and one things that I might find handy in a normal day to day situation, but I dont have much idea what is important on the slopes..... so give me a few important little things that I really shouldn't be without please!

thanks

Ad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take:
1) drink
2) chocolate or something sugar rushey
3) suncream
4) emergency make up
5) mobile phone
6) camera - or camera phone now
7) tissues

A torch? are you planning to ski in a cave? a knife? nooooooo that stuffs only neccessary if you're planning to jump off cliffs and kill bears for dinner etc

Incidently -IVE JUST PACKED ALL MY STUFF FOR 2MRW!!!! snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a good 'un, Nade, where are u of to?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, La Tania - only for 5 days ( ive signed myself up for some lessons) its my reward for putting up with family over xmas and new year!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns,

If you have a leatherman that would be useful.
If you aren't struggling for space you might want goggles for when it snows.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Torch.... maybe I take the last ski down and get lost and it gets dark!? Ok probably not likely but maybe! A knife has a multitude of uses..... maybe a strap freezes closed and you need it off quickly..... cable ties.... boot strap breaks.... As I said, I am a newbie so many of my ideas may be nonsensical, hence my asking the question!

My backpack is actually a camera pack, so the camera was the first thing on my list! Food and drink sound like a good idea as well! I think I'll pass on the makeup though..... much as I like women, I dont wish to look like one!

Ad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In addition to Nadenoodlees , list,

A Swiss army knife or leatherman tool if you have them may come in useful, for all sorts of things, even if it's just opening a realy difficult pack of nibbles or a bottle of wine snowHead

Googles or Sunglasses, I say or because you will be wearing one and carrying the other

A few small sticky plasters could be useful if you nick yourself on previously mentioned tool, or the edge of your skis

Some spray on or wipe on ski wax for when the skis start to stick on new snow

Lip Balm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I carry-

A hood for my jacket.
My hat and neck gaiter when I'm not wearing them.
Goggles or sunglasses, when I'm wearing the others.
Water/gatorade.
Something chocolatey and sweet.
Spare fleece.
Spare batteries for walkie talkie.
Inner gloves.
Spare hat.
Space blanket & survival bag.
Suncream and lip balm.
A camera, sometimes, but I've broken a few by landing on my pack, also digital cameras get cold in your pack, and so stop working.

And when I'm going off piste-

Avalanche probe and shovel.

It's probably a little OTT but I always work on the principle that if I really needed to, I could spend a night on the mountain if I absolutely had to.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ibuprofin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
buns,

If you have a leatherman that would be useful.
If you aren't struggling for space you might want goggles for when it snows.

Leatherman actually is a really good idea..... I dont have one but maybe someone else in the house has one! I'll be rotating around between goggles and glasses depending on temperature so they will be in there too.

I guess in honesty, a leatherman covers almost all eventualites.... I really should buy one when im in calgary Very Happy

ad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buns, forgive me if this comes across as stating the bleeding obvious, but take a hat in all circumstances, 'cos even on a warm day it can get very cold, very quickly once the sun disappears behind a mountain, and if you're stranded for whatever reason (injured?) you'll lose a lot of heat through your head.

My kids get sick of me saying that. Sorry. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow Kramer...... I'd need a much much bigger bag! When you mention it, how sensitive are digital cameras? The bag is padded so I would assume it would be moderately warm for the camera..... it seems rather a shame to be on a family holiday and not take pics!

laundryman..... I am joining the helmet army so the hat is covered Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not the torch, don't be that late down, the piste patrol usualy does its last checks a good hour before sunset in europe at least so you should be ok. I suppose if you have a cable tie or two you can stick them in the corner of the bag but you probably won't use them.

Big tip before skiing with a lot of expensive camera gear in a back pack make sure of three things

1 that there is no equipment likley to break your back should you fall over

2 that there is nothing in the pack you cannot afford to break

3 that you can actually ski wearing a back pack

I've skied before with pro metal bodied Nikons complete with big lenses and motor drives, unless you are confident with your skiing its much easier and safer to take a small compact camera in a pocket which keeps the batteries warm and stops them discharging
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buns, I use a Da Kine helipak, they're specially designed for skiing, as they sit very close to your back and they're not too deep, so that you don't need to take them off to go on chair lifts. Everything on my list fits in easily, with a little spare space. They've also got lots of straps so that you can strap skis or a board to it for easier hiking.

As D G Orf said, the main problem with digital cameras in the cold is that their batteries stop working when they get cold, mobile phones are the same. Either carry a compact camera inside your jacket, or if you're a very keen photographer with a proper camera, take the battery out, and carry it inside your jacket. It's far easier to keep them warm than to try to warm them up again once they've frozen.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have stuff as above but usually also stick in a GPS, compass, whistle, water, wallet, lunch, spare piste maps, spare thermal top and most of the gear my wife wants with her, but isn't wearing right then.
ski holidays
Water,and more water.Like Kramer,me and my son both have Dakine's; fitted with a hydration system(Platypus do a nice one that fits a treat)Never worry too much about food,though am quite partial to Aldi's Cherry and Coconut Flapjacks.I carry a Sureshot and a digital,have always wrapped them for extra protection.Never had battery problems.I also carry a spare piste map,my insurance documents and the families E111 forms(just in case)I also insist that,if my wife wants to haul loads of superfluous crap up the mountain,then she carries it.Thats my version of new skool Toofy Grin
latest report
Ok..... whistle, thanks for that one marc.

My camera is a 'prosumer' type, so bigger than a compact but not quite as big as your SLR's..... I have a designed lowepro bag which I must admit turned out alot deeper than I had thought when I bought it! I have already envisaged the odd problem when it comes to lifts Confused

Unfortunately I dont have a small digital, only an older APS one. Annoying really.... the big cam does poorly in low light but great in the day so fantastic for on the slopes and the compact APS the other way round, save for the risk of buggering the cam while skiing, it all is perfect! I'll have to check my insurance and see whether it would be covered in the event of the worst happening.

thanks

Ad
snow report
HIP FLASK!!! Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
Dave J, I thought about that but decided it came under the drink catagory Cool
snow conditions
buns, I've only recently started ski=ing and on the last trip wore a rucksack for the first time. Although few people do it, taking the thing off for chairlifts is a pretty good idea - if you keep it on it does tend to push you forwards on the seat and for some lifts this can be disconcerting. I decided not to take my larger digital camera up onto the slopes, in case I fell on it! I used to take up a disposable but this year I'm experimenting with a Casio Elixim, which is really tiny.
snow report
I recall the news report about the young teenager hanging from a lift by his backpack...... I do not intend to repeat that! I have the bag packed up with the camera in it, Im just going to hope that the, reasonably good, padding is sufficient to protect it in case of a fall.

ad
latest report
Dave J, I keep my hip flask about my person, so that it doesn't get too cold.
ski holidays
Duct Tape
latest report
mesk1 wrote:
Duct Tape

Puzzled expland on that one please! When would that be useful?

ad
snow conditions
buns, when you rip your pants. wink Or you could maybe use it to make a splint with whatever stiff material you can find.
ski holidays
Duct tape is always useful to have with you, but I don't tend to take it out in my backpack.
snow conditions
Agreed that a whole roll is a bit heavy but a few foot can be rolled small and is handy to have available.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
buns, when you rip your pants. wink

Im rarely in that much of a rush to get out of them!...... oh you meant if they get caught on a tree!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's also useful for patching up boots as well.
snow report
You guys need to be better prepared for a range of exigencies. Here's my survival kit for a night on the mountain, and toolkit for running repairs on lifts, plumbing in mountain restaurants, etc. I get my smallest daughter to carry it all, because I find the weight inconvenient.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
You guys need to be better prepared for a range of exigencies. Here's my survival kit for a night on the mountain, and toolkit for running repairs on lifts, plumbing in mountain restaurants, etc. I get my smallest daughter to carry it all, because I find the weight inconvenient.

snowHead
latest report
laundryman, small children are a much underused resource these days.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
laundryman, small children are a much underused resource these days.

One of the better arguements for them...... im still determined to avoid them for another few years wink

Ad
snow report
buns, The only essential stuff is: something to eat, something to drink, space blanket (very small and light to carry and can save a life) and a swiss army knife. Hat (of course) and goggles if the forecast is dodgy (otherwise don't bother). All the other stuff is unlikely to be necessary if you're ski-ing only on piste, although useful if going touring or far off piste. I get all this stuff into my pockets actually - hate backpacks and they hide the logo on my jacket!!!!
snow report
easiski, I agree that I am somewhat overcautious taking everything when I'm only skiing on-piste, but I do know someone who managed to get lost on the piste in a white out, and didn't get found until about nine at night. Also having a spare fleece is quite useful when the sun goes in.
snow report
Yes I have many things in my backpack. Camera, drink, spare fleece, some snacks, shades (goggles usually being worn), small first aid kit for 'minor' wounds, spare hat, spare gloves, spare socks, a buff or fleece neck gaiter, Swiss Army Knife...

Other than the camera, since the time I first started using a backpack a few seasons ago, I have never once used any of the stuff! Razz

I wouldn't worry too much about what you put in. The vast majority of people don't wear a backpack and they always seem to be ok.
snow report
I take pretty much the same as Kramer, although also agree it's probably overkill if you're a relative newbie skiing on-piste. I make no difference between on/off-piste packs: if the same list goes in every day I don't forget something. And don't forget that avalanches can affect pistes as well as off-piste (e.g. one got about halfway across the main drag home in Argentiere last Jan) - although there'll be plenty of more experienced skiers and pisteurs to help out in those cases.

The two most important things for you though I would say are spare hat and gloves. The gloves are the most likely things you will drop when fiddling with something on a chair-lift...and then you're pretty much stuffed skiing until you can find a shop (or a mate is kind enough to lend you a pair!). I also always carry a whistle - but around my neck rather than in the back-pack. I've never ever needed it, but if you ski over one of those cliffs that line those horribly ubiquitous blue tracks, say in a white-out or just while admiring the view - scenic or human Embarassed - in the other direction) the last thing you want to be doing while trying to ignore your broken leg or collarbone is rooting around in your pack trying to find the emergency whistle. I would also suggest that if a camera needs to go in a backpack it'll mostly stay there. I've carried my video camera around for the last few years and hardly ever get it out - and the last time I did the battery had gone flat! As Kramer said - keep batteries warm in an inner pocket. I've had some pretty spectacular wipeouts in my time, and the camera as generally been OK (I nearly always wrap it in the spare shirt) - although I've just noticed this year that the LCD screen has got cracked Evil or Very Mad , so I must have skipped the wrap up last time out.

Some say that wearing a backpack throws out your balance, and that may be true, although if the pack has compression straps it can be very compact on your back. However, if you are going to ski off-piste eventually (and that seems to be the current general nirvana...certainly is mine) you will need to carry one, and there's little harm getting the feel and habit of it early. I've carried one from my first day on skis, and feel pretty naked without one.

I would also make sure there's enough space in it to carry your jacket - and this is the main reason I carry a pack on piste. I ski in the usual three layers: jacket, fleece and thermal baselayer (LGT from Field and Trek, - the best £30 I've ever spent). Even this New Year's Eve, it was too hot in all three, so the jacket went in the pack for all except the first and last two runs. Make sure your fleece is windproof though. And in March/April you may end up with the fleece in there too.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
I've carried one from my first day on skis, and feel pretty naked without one.

I know what you mean. It'd been a long time since I skied a day without a pack on - when I tried a piste cruising day without it one sunny day last season it felt very odd not having the reassuring heft of my DaKine on my back. I found myself having to adjust my stance to compensate too.

Having somewhere to stow your jacket is a major benefit of a backpack. Last year I switched to a Mountain Hardwear softshell that works as either the mid or outer layer depending on the day. Lightweight unlined goretex XCR ice climbing jacket on top of that, only 700g, it rolls up small into the backpack when I don't need it. Excellent system.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
In addition to Nadenoodlees , list,

Googles or...

In case you want to search the web whilst on the mountain?
snow conditions
acute_angina, absolutely, how else will you find the phone number of that nice mountain restaurant ? Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy